Users Can't Upload Avatars

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
samureye

Users Can't Upload Avatars

Post by samureye »

My users are getting an error when they upload avatars. I don't know what the problem is, lines of code show up at the top. Off-site avatars work fine. What could the problem be?
espicom

Post by espicom »

Your site is not configured to allow uploaded files... those "lines at the top" are probably telling you that the file could not be written. You have to configure your web server to make the directory where the avatars are stored "World Writable", or at least writable by the user that the web server process runs as.

I believe this is covered in the PHPBB FAQ, but it definitely is covered in the PHPBB User's Guide...
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
samureye

Post by samureye »

thanks, so is this something server side that needs to be fixed?
Also, what works is off-site avatars. I made it so that they can only be 100*100 but people have that are 214*214. I don't want them so big. What gives?
espicom

Post by espicom »

Off-site avatars are just links... so you have no control or ability to check them for size. It's only via uploading that you can test and control their size programatically... but you can exercise editorial control, by banning people for not fixing their avatar sizes, or manually changing their avatars through the Admin Control Panel/User Admin.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
Nekaid

Post by Nekaid »

You may have to CHMOD some folders. Such as the images folder or the images/avatars folder to 777. This will give the permissions to upload avatars.
samureye

Post by samureye »

Thanks for the info....how do I go about doing that now? :?
cybrid23
Former Team Member

Post by cybrid23 »

samureye wrote: Thanks for the info....how do I go about doing that now? :?

Use an FTP client and right click on the folder you want to chmod
---Never leave home without a towel and your peril sensitive sunglasses.
---Do Not PM Me For Support. It will go unanswered.
Thanks.
samureye

Post by samureye »

Oh, I have FTP access and I do all the uploading. I'm sorry, but what exactly do I need to do?

i checked the Userguide, I' in the FTP client all now and the directory is set up... still no upload, this comes up...

Warning: copy(./images/avatars/13774988574508b20e07e4c.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 288

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/page_header.php on line 483

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/page_header.php on line 485

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /home/dfactorc/public_html/block/includes/page_header.php on line 486

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”