what is the history of phpbb?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
ldivinag

what is the history of phpbb?

Post by ldivinag »

did a couple search terms but after reading 3 pages of topics, one came close.

went to the ABOUT page, but it listed the developers. the HOME page doesnt have anything...

just curious...

thanks.
leo d.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

i spent quite a few hours on usenet gathering up the history. i posted it, but methinks it's long-since pruned. i'm sure one of the devs would be just ecstatic to re-tell the story.... ;)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

Jun 17 2000: I sit down at my computer and think to myself: 'Gee..my website needs a forum'. Since, at the time, there wasn't much out there in the way of PHP based forum software, other then Phoum which I dispised. I decided to create a PHP version of UBB (vB existed at ths time but I had never heard of it). That night I was up untill about 3am and managed to get posting/replying and topic/forum lists done.

July 1, 2000: I posted this topic at DevShed asking for help testing my new application. At this point it was, for the most part, fully functional with the basics of a forum and a rough admin section.

http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.ph ... ight=phpbb

July 15, 2000 phpBB went into CVS at sourceforge and we really started working on 1.0 propor. That month intrest from some people brought Nathan Codding and John Abela onto the team and we started hacking away.

Aug 14, 2000 phpBB.com was registered and we got our first real site up. Untill that time it had been hosted on my own server at totalgeek.org (now gone).

From there it started to steamroll. phpBB v1.0-BETA was released and a PHPNuke module was built out of it. That got us alot of attention from the PHP crowd and the userbase started really building.

December 16, 2000: phpBB v1.0.0 was released. With this release BartVB joined the team and started major work on 1.2 though 1.4. After the 1.4 release (or perhaps it was 1.2..I can't remember) Paul joined the team, he had been hacking phpBB majorly for his own site and was very interested in some of our ideas for 2.0. At this time Frank also joined the team along with Jonathan who was a convert from the BlazeBoard camp who didn't like where that was heading.

Feb 17, 2001: phpBB v2.0 was started in ernest. We had been having major conversations about it since the release of 1.4 and this is when the ball really got rolling on it. phpBB 2.0 was in development for 14 months, in that time a TON of work and discusion went into the project. Doug joined the team shortly after 2.0 was started.

April 4, 2002: phpBB v2.0 is released...and I think you know the history from then on :D

(I was going to do a post like this on the 2 year anniversary but I guess now is as good a time as any :D)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net
ldivinag

Post by ldivinag »

well... bravo. congrats and long live phpbb!
leo d.
.: Sageon :.

Post by .: Sageon :. »

I just gotta say. You're so clever, I just hope I could do something like this in my adult years :D.
shadowbeef

Post by shadowbeef »

Wow. It certainly has come a long way. Great work, I can't wait to see what the future holds for phpBB.
I am God. Worship Me.
My Website
digitalhome

Post by digitalhome »

Very interesting. THanks for the history and the board.
IP-Dope

Post by IP-Dope »

Great history phpBB has...Good luck in the future.
Mr. Nissen

Post by Mr. Nissen »

Hey Finn

When you say you brought other developers onto the project, how'd that work out? Were they friends of yours or were they developers that showed interest in the project and asked to help you develop it?

Just curious 8)

Thanks
Very Bored
theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

They're just people who showed interest in the project and wanted to help out. Nathan was the first, then John (A), then Bart and later Paul.

Doug, Tom, and Jonathan joined for 2.0, and now Ashe is our latest member.

I think we've got a great team, we're just not really speedy ;)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net
ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR »

theFinn wrote: I think we've got a great team, we're just not really speedy ;)

As a proverb said, it's better slowly, but surely.
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)
Mr. Nissen

Post by Mr. Nissen »

theFinn wrote: I think we've got a great team, we're just not really speedy ;)

Well I wouldn't worry about the speed too much. I'd say you guys have developed a great program. Who knows, maybe it's a result of the speed at which you develop :wink:
Very Bored
Goofy

Post by Goofy »

And dont forget SubBlue! THE design for phpBB.

After I saw what this guy was capable of, I contacted him for some custom artwork for my site.

Its almost sad to say this, but the design of a script like this is very dependent of the design. The rewiews I have read about phpBB has always commented on this.

phpBB and SubBlue should be proud of this package :)
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

Tom (subBlue) designed the template for phpBB ... there is no "phpBB and subBlue", there is just phpBB Group ...
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

Dana Barrett/Zuul wrote: There is no Dana, only Zuul....

;)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”