Changing information in CSS doesnt seem to be working

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Melli

Changing information in CSS doesnt seem to be working

Post by Melli »

Hello,

I am trying to change colors for my phpBB to make it more customised. I am currently both using the Admin Panel and a copy of the subsilver CSS to make the changes.

I have followed instructions that I have found on these forums and have made my own Template folder to work on my new custom style.

The problem is, I have made some changes that showed up but now I am stuck and editing the CSS doesn't seem to be doing anything much and it feels like changing stuff in Admin panel now isnt working anymore!

I was progressing fine with making changes but can't seem to move on now. I want to change certain text colors and the cells of the table headers. I also want to change the cell background of the cell inside the yellow border and leave the background outside that border the dark color.

I'm not even sure if what I have posted so far made any sense!

Any advice or links to information I could use to help myself out?

Thanks
Melli
Last edited by Melli on Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

well changes to the .css file won't have any affect until you change this bit of overall_header.tpl

Code: Select all

<title>Forums of D'hara :: Index</title>
<!-- link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/D'hara Default/D'hara Default.css" type="text/css" -->
<style type="text/css">
to something like

<title>Forums of D'hara :: Index</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/D'hara Default/D'hara Default.css" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
at the moment the link to your style sheet is commented out, so its not being used at all.
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

if you use subsilver as base of your style look in overall_header.tpl (and few other tpl files that contain css) - there is a copy of style sheet.

by default line <link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/subSilver/{T_HEAD_STYLESHEET}" type="text/css"> is commented and style sheet in overall_header.tpl is used instead. you can uncomment it and remove almost all css from overall_header.tpl

edit: while i was typing this message Mav already replied, so ignore my message because Mav's explanation is better.
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

CyberAlien wrote: if you use subsilver as base of your style look in overall_header.tpl (and few other tpl files that contain css) - there is a copy of style sheet.

by default line <link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/subSilver/{T_HEAD_STYLESHEET}" type="text/css"> is commented and style sheet in overall_header.tpl is used instead. you can uncomment it and remove almost all css from overall_header.tpl

edit: while i was typing this message Mav already replied, so ignore my message because Mav's explanation is better.

thanks, but you had some good points that i neglected to mention.
if you want to use a .css file then you do need to delete the embedded styles from overall_header.tpl, but leave in the references to the cellpics so that it works with netscape.
my overall_header looks like this

<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/subSilver/subSilver.css" type="text/css"> 
<style type="text/css"> 
<!-- 
/* Specifiy background images for selected styles, specially here for NS4. 
   This can't be done within the external style sheet as NS4 sees image paths relative to 
   the page which called the style sheet 
   whereas all other browsers see image paths relative to the style sheet. 
*/ 
TH         { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/cellpic3.gif) } 
TD.cat      { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif) } 
TD.rowpic   { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/cellpic2.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-y } 
TD.catHead,TD.catSides,TD.catLeft,TD.catRight,TD.catBottom { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif) } 

/* Import the fancy styles for IE only (NS4.x doesn't use the @import function) */
@import url("templates/subSilver/formIE.css"); 

--> 
</style>
Melli

Post by Melli »

Already been there done that! I saw Daz post a couple of times suggesting to other people to uncomment that link in overall_header.tpl but when I went to try it out for myself, it totally messed up my board.

The table boarders and tables disappeared and the colors were nothing like I had entered in the default.css

I'm trying what you just suggested - deleting the embedded styles... i copied and pasted your code and edited it (hope thats ok!) and will let you know how it goes..

*goes back to the tedious work of messing around with phpBB*
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

Look at DesertStorm style - it uses external CSS and all style inside .tpl is deleted except for few lines that should be there.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
adaaaam
Name: Adam

Post by adaaaam »

Hey,
Melli wrote: Already been there done that!. . .

The table boarders and tables disappeared and the colors were nothing like I had entered in the default.css. . .

You must delete the embedded styles in the header so it doesn't overide the external sheet. Also it should be named subSilver.css, not default.css.
Korak

Post by Korak »

Is it page_header.tpl in the Admin-folder u should change if u wanna link them to the css-doc as well?
.:Korak | www.eskobar.nu
adaaaam
Name: Adam

Post by adaaaam »

Hey,

Don't worry about any TPL files in the admin directory, those only alter the design of the Administration Panel page.
Korak

Post by Korak »

That's what I meant...if I wanna change the design of the Administration Panel.
But I changed my mind instead...it's like u said "don't worry about that"...I'll stick with the default look i those pages.
.:Korak | www.eskobar.nu
richey

Post by richey »

Hello,

I tried to replace the included CSS definitions by the uncommented reference to the external stylesheet, but after that, the table borders are missing, just the Times New Roman font is used etc. (under both, IE and Mozilla).
subSilver.css is there, and I also tried it by "hard-coding" the <link href..> to subSilver.css without any difference.

Any idea what I have to do to be able to save bandwidth, too?

thanks,
Richey
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

There are other posts with this is, but your overall_header.tpl & simple_header.tpl CSS references should be like this;

<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/subSilver/{T_HEAD_STYLESHEET}" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">
<!--
td.cat,td.cathead,td.catsides,td.catleft,td.catright,td.catbottom { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/{T_TH_CLASS1}) }
th { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/{T_TH_CLASS2}) }
td.rowpic { background-image: url(templates/subSilver/images/{T_TH_CLASS3}); background-repeat: repeat-y }
-->
</style>
Your page_header.tpl file (Admin directory) should be like this;

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../templates/subSilver/subSilver.css" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">
<!--
th { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic3.gif) }
td.cat { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif) }
td.rowpic { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic2.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-y }
td.cathead,td.catsides,td.catleft,td.catright,td.catbottom { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif) }
-->
</style>
Please and Thank You works wonders...
I reserve the right to post illogical (and totally wrong) replies.
...It's the subtle perfection in attention to detail that makes your work rock the way it does - cdkrg
Think simple - it's not necessarily what you draw that matters, it's what you perceive - Daz

Note: ForumImages<dot>com is no longer anything to do with me.
richey

Post by richey »

Hi Daz,

thanks for your reply - THAT DID IT!!!! YEEAH!!

I don't have a clue why it didn't work before, since I followed exactly the instructions given @ other places in the support forum, but anyway.

Just for the archives: it was important to use the original subSilver.css file (and not to replace the content of subSilver.css by the style sheet definitions found in overall_header.tpl , as described there:

(..)
  NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2
  theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code
  and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth.
(..)
kind regards
Richey
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

The last bit about cutting the final CSS should really say that you cut the code from an output page of the forum....
Please and Thank You works wonders...
I reserve the right to post illogical (and totally wrong) replies.
...It's the subtle perfection in attention to detail that makes your work rock the way it does - cdkrg
Think simple - it's not necessarily what you draw that matters, it's what you perceive - Daz

Note: ForumImages<dot>com is no longer anything to do with me.
htmanning

Post by htmanning »

Be sure to take out this line or it won't work:

<!-- END switch_enable_pm_popup -->

I had that line in my overall_header.tpl and despite all my efforts it was making my board choke. It took forever to figure out that it was the culprit. I hope this saves someone the time and frustration that it took me to figure this out.

Tom

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”