[MODDB] Approval MOD

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
gr82bart

Post by gr82bart »

uncle.f wrote: Alternatively, (if you used EasyMOD) you can restore all the modified files which should be located in the "mods/approval_mod/backups" directory and then reapply the latest version of Approval MOD. That will only work if you did not install any MODs after the Approval MOD.
I assume by this statement you mean replace the appropriate files with those in the backup directory, right?

Thanks again.

Regards, Art.
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

gr82bart wrote:
uncle.f wrote:Alternatively, (if you used EasyMOD) you can restore all the modified files which should be located in the "mods/approval_mod/backups" directory and then reapply the latest version of Approval MOD. That will only work if you did not install any MODs after the Approval MOD.
I assume by this statement you mean replace the appropriate files with those in the backup directory, right?

Exactly. Sorry if I was unclear.

If you did not modify your forum files in any way after installing the Approval MOD, you can copy back the files from the "admin/mods/approval_mod/backups" directory to their respective places under your forum root, essentially rolling back the Approval MOD. After that you need to replace the "admin/mods/approval_mod" directory with a new one and then use EasyMOD to install Approval MOD again.
asd23

Post by asd23 »

i have a question can i make this like only topic starter post (1st post in the topic) only need approval and other posts under dat topic dnt cz i have hide mod install and i there are lots of ppl who will reply to see the hidden content
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

asd23 wrote: i have a question can i make this like only topic starter post (1st post in the topic) only need approval and other posts under dat topic dnt

This MOD in its current form does not have this feature.
However if you really need it to act like this the changes probably would be in one or two lines of code.
asd23

Post by asd23 »

uncle.f wrote:
asd23 wrote:i have a question can i make this like only topic starter post (1st post in the topic) only need approval and other posts under dat topic dnt

This MOD in its current form does not have this feature.
However if you really need it to act like this the changes probably would be in one or two lines of code.

so does that mean u gonna put it in next updated version or ..
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

asd23 wrote: so does that mean u gonna put it in next updated version or ..

Not exactly. If I change the code so that it fits your needs, then it won't be the same functionality anymore. Therefore, to be published here this feature needs to be optional (i.e. can be turned on/off). This is more than just one line of code.

When I said it takes very few changes, I meant you could have modified your own installation without the general mod changes here, in this topic.

I may implement this if I have time, but for now - no promises.
khoomeizhi

Post by khoomeizhi »

is it possible (with another mod that automagically changes the user group as post count increases) to have this work 'out of the box' to allow another usergroup (other than mods and admins) to post un-moderated.

i.e. after someone has a few posts, they can post freely.

cheers
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

khoomeizhi wrote: is it possible (with another mod that automagically changes the user group as post count increases) to have this work 'out of the box' to allow another usergroup (other than mods and admins) to post un-moderated.

i.e. after someone has a few posts, they can post freely.

cheers

Again, as it currently stands, there is no such possibiliy at the moment. Only the moderators can post freely in the forums where approval is on.

Thinking about it, though, two solutions for the future implementation come to mind: allowing those who have more than certain number of posts to post freely (without using groups at all) or specifying the group(s) members of which do not need approval.

The second way is better in my opinion as it offers greater flexibility with regards to the user selection. Also, if that is implemented, another feature request (by sobewebmaster above) can be fulfilled, i.e. specifying the group(s) of "trouble users", whose posts should be always approved no matter what.

I cannot spend more than certain amount of time developing this MOD, so I cannot satisfy everybody with all the little nice features. However, the more people ask for the same feature, the more chances I'll have a look at it. This is now a second request for user selection by groups rather than by moderator/non-moderator status. I'd say a few more requests and I seriously think about implementing this.

I am also not sure about validation of my MOD by phpBB admins. I really believe that by now the Approval MOD is of the production quality. Of course it is my own opinion, but I would prefer if it was validated by the admins here, before I proceed with adding extra features to it.
khoomeizhi

Post by khoomeizhi »

yeah i was thinking of just another user group with a different permissions number and then linking it into your mod since it is already set up with different rules for different usergroups, seems simple on the surface, but i don't code that much ;)
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

I had some spare time this weekend, so I have posted a roadmap for a brand new "Approval Groups MOD" that takes into account user groups and adds some new features in comparison to the current Approval MOD.

The main differences are:
  • The desicion whether the post needs to be approved is based not on only on the general forum setting but also depends on user group membership
  • Ability to specify the "troublemakers" whose posts are always approved no matter what
  • Approve only new topics (not the replies)
  • New search funcitonality for MODs to search for all unapproved posts in all forums.
This is going to be a new MOD, not another version of the MOD in this topic. There is no complete code yet. It could be useful to hear user comments (posted in the new MOD's topic) before going into a serious development.
asd23

Post by asd23 »

Approve only new topics (not the replies)

does that means in that mod we only need to apporve the topic post(first post in topic) and we dont need to approve replies????
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

asd23 wrote:
Approve only new topics (not the replies)

does that means in that mod we only need to apporve the topic post(first post in topic) and we dont need to approve replies????

Yes.

It will be possible to set an option that will either enable or disable this feature for each forum. For more details see the new MOD thread: Approval Groups MOD
criodor

Post by criodor »

Short question, I'm looking for moderators or admins to edit a part of a post so only mods/admins can see it

example:
This piece of line is written just for fun.

[mod]This piece of line is abusing it's power and moderators should be nice![/mod]

Where as the [mod][/mod] part was edited after the moderator changed it. should only be viewable by admins/moderators. Similar to the [hide] mod but only let's adm/mods read it. Not sure if I should write it here, but it's closest I could find that gives mods/admin the power to hide certain parts from public view.

My apologies if I'm completely off responding to this post.
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

Sorry, you'd have to look somewhere else. What you are after is an extended BBcode functionality. This MOD does not touch BBcode at all. You are better off looking in the topics with BBcode modifications.
dfuzion

Problem after installing Approval MOD

Post by dfuzion »

Hi,

First of all thanks for this great MOD. I need it asap in a forum but it does not work for me...

Explanations : I installed phpBB 2.0.21 + iEM 0.3 (international easymod) + Approval mod. All installed correctly without errors. But the mod is not operating when editing forums... The approve settings doesn't appear. As if it wasn't installed.

Did I miss something ???

Regards

Jerome

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”