Experiencing SLOW login and logout

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
gcleaves

Experiencing SLOW login and logout

Post by gcleaves »

Otherwise phpbb2 runs just fine. Like I said, logging in or out takes 30+ seconds. I am using Win2000, mysql 3.23-nt, and Xitami server.

Any suggestions on what could be causing login and out to be sooo slow? Could it matter that the host does not have a FQDM, just an IP address? But then all pages s/b slow, right?

Thanks,

Geoff
Qivic

Same slow login problem here...

Post by Qivic »

I have the same setup as you AND the same problem. Win2K, PHP 4.2.3, MySQL 3.23.52, Xitami 2.4d9 and phpBB 2.02.

I have tried playing with the CGI_FORCE_REDIRECT option. In the older versions of phpBB (1.X) if you change the IIS option in PHP.INI to "on" things seem to run faster. In this case CGI_force_redirect to off to support IIS, but then PHP refuses to run - so didn't work.

I have tried starting and stopping individual processes using the task manager to try & ID what may be slowing it down. So far can't find anything wrong.

I haven't changed anything in Xitami and it serves up other PHP apps and other parts of the phpBB fine - so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I did try fiddling with the CGI options in Xitami, but to no avail.

That leaves two places to look. MySQL table design and/or configuration or phpBB code. Since I haven't changed MySQL and the other apps using it don't seem to be affected by it, then it's either in the table design or phpBB code as it relates to a Win2k configuration.

This does seem to be a Win2k specific problem and I think it lies with MySQL or phpBB - somewhere... my guess is in the login code or code to access the user tables... keep in touch, maybe we can work together on this..
gcleaves

SLOW Login and out

Post by gcleaves »

Right, let's stay in touch.

Could it not be a Xitami issue? Have you ever run phpbb on Win2k and Apache? I am tempted to try and see what happens.

Geoff
gcleaves

ok, installed Apache

Post by gcleaves »

I installed Apache and the login and out process is now smooth as a hot knife through butter. Xitami is the culprit. Too bad, I like Xitami. :(

Geoff
Qivic

Maybe give it a try...

Post by Qivic »

Interesting.... I may give Apache a try. Are you using Apache 1.x or 2.x..?

Tx..
gcleaves

Apache 1.3

Post by gcleaves »

I am using 1.3. I gave 2.0 the old college tried but could not get it to behave when dealing with sessions. You may have noticed in these support posts that many people are having trouble with 2.0. Apparently it is possible to make it work, but I couldn't do it. :cry:

Aside from making phpbb2 logins (and outs) faster, I have noticed that all my projects run faster with Apache. Yippee! It's more difficult to configure, on the downside.

Cheers,

Geoff
brianb

Post by brianb »

I was using apache for a long time and it worked perfect but my server is now 10km from me so I use Xitami for the remote control part of it. I really want to stay with it so would any one know what the login and log out issue is.
Mordorf

Post by Mordorf »

I also use the same setup and have the same login problem, must be a xitami problem.

:roll:
Running all the way
Ohayden

Fixed slow login/logout with Xitami

Post by Ohayden »

I had the same issue with Xitami login/logout being slow, but I fixed it! I was putting debug in to track it and my problem went away! I simply left some debug at the top that display a CHAR 255 (invisible char) and it works very fast now!!

Open the "login.php" in notepad and add the following line after:
$header_location = ( @preg_match('/Microsoft|WebSTAR|Xitami/', getenv('SERVER_SOFTWARE')) ) ? 'Refresh: 0; URL=' : 'Location: ';
echo "."; // FLC - FIXES SLOW LOGIN/LOGOUT WITH XITAMI

For the period, you can add a CHR 255, which is invisible. The period works also. If you have any questions, let me know.
babu

Re: Fixed slow login/logout with Xitami

Post by babu »

Ohayden wrote: I had the same issue with Xitami login/logout being slow, but I fixed it! I was putting debug in to track it and my problem went away! I simply left some debug at the top that display a CHAR 255 (invisible char) and it works very fast now!!

I am experiencing a similar problem with IIS. It takes an eternity for users to register. The CGI eventually times out. Despite the timeout, the user IS registered. I watched the process list in MySQL and noticed nothing unusual with the connection there, no long lag in the database.

Then I found this "fix". However, in 2.0.4 I cannot for the life of my find the location you speak of in login.php. I even did a search for it and it turned up nothing. I'd really appreciate any help. My theory is that its something thats in the code. My hope is that its a common enough problem that someone has already found the fix.
Ohayden

Post by Ohayden »

The login.php is part of the phpbb software. It should be in the root of your forums directory, along with the index.php. I never had a problem with the registration being slow. The registration process may be in a separate php file. This may fix the issue, but it is not for the faint of heart. You'll need a little programming experience if you have to put it somewhere other than the login.php. Hope this helps.
babu

What slowness? I'm the only one thats slow here.

Post by babu »

Ohayden

Post by Ohayden »

I didn't think your issue was the same as mine. My issue only happened with Xitami web-server specifically. I glad you solved your issue!! Also, just for future reference for anyone else, the Xitami slow login/logout issue was fixed in version 2.0.4 of phpBB. I downloaded it, removed my fix, and tested with 2.0.4. It works great with 2.0.4, and it looks like they had more or less the same solution I had. Moral of the story, if you have Xitami and login/logout are slow, then upgrade to 2.0.4.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”