[BETA] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

CodeMonkeyX wrote: Will it work with the Slashdot.org feeds?
http://slashdot.org/code.shtml

Don't see why note although, like the moreover feeds, they don't have any summary info in the post. Also some of the info that is there is not currently being used by this mod, it would be possilbe to add extra fields of info though. I'll look at it.
Defend the game:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Yep, so far now thats the only problem I'm having is the Anonymous being used when letting the Cron job handle the fetching of news. If I run the news_insert.php locally, the posts are properly made with the assigned Username. Very strange indeed but if this gets sorted, I give this mod a big thumbs up with great potential!

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Now updated to version 0.9.1 BETA. - This should fix the problems with using it from a cron job.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.
Last edited by netclectic on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defend the game:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Excellent! It seems to be working now :) . All I need to do now is find a better feed as the one I'm using now is one of those 1-liners (basically title only) then you have to click to "Read more..." thus no content really in the created thread :roll:

scoobie

Post by scoobie »

this sounds very cool

I don't have access to cron tabs on a shared server - does that matter - can I just run the news_insert.php every now and again when I am online?

Also is it possible to setup multiple forums with different news feeds?
You can have it all if you like... but you can pay for it the rest of your life.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

scoobie wrote: I don't have access to cron tabs on a shared server - does that matter - can I just run the news_insert.php every now and again when I am online?

Yes, you can do this. You might find you get logged out as a result. Would be best to open a new window other than the one you are logged into and execute it from there.
scoobie wrote: Also is it possible to setup multiple forums with different news feeds?

Yes. You can have multiple forums and each forum can have multiple newsfeeds. Setup your forums in the usual manner making sure the user you want to use has posting rights. Then in the newsfeeds admin page you can enter newsfeed urls for the forums you want to use.
Defend the game:

IDB

Post by IDB »

Yep - works great now. THANKS.

Like Lazer I need to find some better newsfeeds and see if I can get the Moreover feeds to work.

Incidentally - what exactly does the LIMIT parameter do on the config screen? If say there were 3 newsfeeds defined, would it pick stories from the first defined feed until the limit was reached and move onto the second if the limit has not been reached?
Regards, Ian.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

IDB wrote: Incidentally - what exactly does the LIMIT parameter do on the config screen? If say there were 3 newsfeeds defined, would it pick stories from the first defined feed until the limit was reached and move onto the second if the limit has not been reached?

The limit parameter will limit the number of articles returned from each newsfeed. So if you set it to 3 you will get the first 3 articles from each news feed inserted into your forums.

At the moment this is global for all newsfeeds although i've been thinking about setting it individually for each.

I'm also planning on adding an option to add the newsfeed channel to the topic subject, this can be handy if you have more than 1 newsfeed in a forum.
Defend the game:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Just one little thing I'm noticing with this latest beta (seemed ok in the previous release) is for the feeds that just contain a link, its not printing the link, rather ... <---3 dots only.

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Hrmm strange, well I thought it was the html tag = <link> that was causing the ... only, so I added the link to my Board Configuration allowed html tags and deleted the prior posts and refired the Cron, however it had no effect on the feeds that just give a link, still show up as:

:cry:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Well spotted. This was due to the user preferences not being set, so the language bits were not being picked up which included the 'Read More' bit.

It's now fixed. Same download as before or you can just do the following to upgrade...

in news_insert.php
find

Code: Select all

$userdata = $db->sql_fetchrow($result);
after add

init_userprefs($userdata);
and that should be it.
Defend the game:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Nice :) That appears to have corrected it!

Btw, I found that source you listed earlier for newsfeeds rather good @ http://www.syndic8.com/ Just click on the More tabs in both "Random" and "Recently approved.." :wink: Gets a big listing to go through and choose from.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Yes, it's a really good source. You can search by subject and filter by last updated etc. as well, which is really handy!
Defend the game:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

IDB wrote: ...is it possible to use newsfeed from Moreover with this mod?

I've tested it with a couple of moreover newsfeeds and it appears to work fine. You will have to use the RSS version of the feed which will mean adding...

&o=rss

to the end of any feeds found in the moreover category list or any you build yourself using their cutom feed instructions.
Defend the game:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Updated to 0.9.3 BETA

Change the order the posts are inserted so they appear most recent first.

To update from 0.9.2...

in includes/functions_news.php
find

($i = 0; $i < $rss_limit; $i++)
replace with

($i = $rss_limit; $i > -1; $i--)
Defend the game:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”