[2.0.19] Anti-bot Guest Post Mod

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65%
Very Good
23%
Good
3%
Fair
No votes
Poor
10%

Total votes: 40

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Gezus! Last month I started getting 1-2 spams a week leaking in even though I have this plug-in installed.

This morning I carry out the updates. Sofar today I've had TEN spams posted. This is a step backwards! :-(
EveS

Post by EveS »

otseng wrote: After you've installed the mod, you can make this modification to have a text box instead of a drop box. (I haven't tested this, so let me know if there's something that needs to be changed).

Does this text box work? Block the spammers?

Because the drop down menu don't stop them. :( Last night I installed it, tested and it worked fine, but after installation at least some of the spams (so far 4) are still getting through. And they were in English (and my board isn't :!: ).
NoDeity
Name: Brad Reddekopp

Post by NoDeity »

EveS wrote:
otseng wrote: After you've installed the mod, you can make this modification to have a text box instead of a drop box. (I haven't tested this, so let me know if there's something that needs to be changed).

Does this text box work? Block the spammers?

Because the drop down menu don't stop them. :( Last night I installed it, tested and it worked fine, but after installation at least some of the spams (so far 4) are still getting through. And they were in English (and my board isn't :!: ).

IMO, nothing is going to work 100% but I've found that otseng's modification makes a significant difference on my forum.
EveS

Post by EveS »

NoDeity wrote: IMO, nothing is going to work 100% but I've found that otseng's modification makes a significant difference on my forum.

Thanks for answering :D If the drop down menu don't work (no spams after those 4 :) ) I will try that text box with the code.
Millennyum

Post by Millennyum »

mannyotr wrote:
otseng wrote:Good idea.

After you've installed the mod, you can make this modification to have a text box instead of a drop box. (I haven't tested this, so let me know if there's something that needs to be changed).

[...]

This mod addition is awesome!! Thank you!

I slightly modified it so that the user doesn't have to go to a different page to get the code. I figured, what difference does it make? So I added the "password" right into the submit message. Like this:

[...]

Thanks again!

Manny

^^This modification really works for me! Now I would also like to use the text box on the registration page, so it will prevent bots from signing up. How do I do that?
caro1978

Post by caro1978 »

Millennyum wrote: ^^This modification really works for me! Now I would also like to use the text box on the registration page, so it will prevent bots from signing up. How do I do that?

I don't know but you can try this mod => http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=383788
It's really good :)
Millennyum

Post by Millennyum »

Thanks, I found that one already, but I cannot figure out how to change the drop down box into a text field with a custom code word...
jmertensg

Post by jmertensg »

It doesn't work for me.
Checked the code 3 times, it's fine.
When I try to post as a guest, it asks me to click on YES but there is no YES button.
I use 2.0.21, could that be the problem?
otseng

Post by otseng »

jmertensg wrote: It doesn't work for me.
Checked the code 3 times, it's fine.
When I try to post as a guest, it asks me to click on YES but there is no YES button.
I use 2.0.21, could that be the problem?

It should work with 2.0.21.

Send me a PM of your file templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl
jmertensg

Post by jmertensg »

Sorry, my mistake . . . and a stupid one. I was editing the template file of SubSilver but I use another style . . . It's working now.
tomdkat2

Post by tomdkat2 »

I'm looking to install this MOD on a phpBB 2.0.20 forum. Does the ZIP file currently available for download (version 1.0.1 I believe) contain the additional mods mentioned in this thread (like the change from a drop-down menu to a text box) or will I need to manually make the additional changes mentioned in this thread before installing the mod?

Thanks!

Peace...
tomdkat2

Post by tomdkat2 »

Anyone?

Peace...
McNeo

Post by McNeo »

Looks like spammers are updating their spambots. To slow them down, you have to continually change mod code. If you look inside this mod, you can see that this edits 3 files: posting.php, posting_body.php and lang main.php.

Find from posting_body.php lines:

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN switch_antibot_post -->
	<tr> 
		<td class="row1"><span class="gen"><b>{L_CONFIRM_POST}</b></span></td>
		<td class="row2"><span class="genmed">
		<select name="confirm_guest_post" size="1">
		    <option value="0">{L_NO}</option>
		    <option value="1">{L_YES}</option>
  		</select>
		{L_CONFIRM_POST_EXPLAIN}</span></td>
	</tr>
	<!-- END switch_antibot_post -->
and change <option value="1"> to <option value="blahblah"> example

and then find from posting.php lines:

Code: Select all

// Anti-bot Guest Post Mod
			if( !$userdata['session_logged_in'])
			{
				if ($confirm_guest_post != "1")
				{
					$error_msg = $lang['Confirm_post_error']; 
				}
			}

and change from if ($confirm_guest_post != "1") to if ($confirm_guest_post != "blahblah")

This should give two weeks a lot less spam.
Lobezno

Hi!

Post by Lobezno »

This MOD also may be installed to Registered Users? And in the Quick Reply?.
otseng

Post by otseng »

tomdkat2 wrote: I'm looking to install this MOD on a phpBB 2.0.20 forum. Does the ZIP file currently available for download (version 1.0.1 I believe) contain the additional mods mentioned in this thread (like the change from a drop-down menu to a text box) or will I need to manually make the additional changes mentioned in this thread before installing the mod?

Sorry for the late reply. Seems like the email notification doesn't work all the time.

I've created a zip for the textbox change.

http://debatingchristianity.com/mods/an ... _1_1_0.zip

I'm hesitant in putting it in the official mod database. Otherwise it'll have greater visibility for the spambot programmers.

I haven't actually applied this zip file and tested it, so let me know if there are any problems.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”