[BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Jhong

[BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

Post by Jhong »

MOD Title: WP-United -- phpBB WordPress Integration

This version is for phpBB2. If you want a phpBB3 version, look here

MOD Description:

WP-United is a powerful yet compact modification for phpBB 2. The package integrates WordPress, the leading blogging and content management tool, into a phpBB community.

Features

Use WordPress as a stand-alone portal, or as a fully-integrated blog system

The choice is yours! The multitude of clean, well-designed templates for WordPress make it an excellent choice for a site homepage. If you want, you can allow community members to comment on WordPress posts, or give them their own fully-fledged blog.

Combine WordPress into the look and feel of your site

You can choose to have WordPress appear inside your phpBB header and footer – as users browse posts or articles in WordPress, they will also have access to phpBB function such as log in/out, profile, and private messaging.

Many owners of phpBB sites will have spend a long time customising the look and feel. You won’t have to duplicate this as WordPress will sit inside your existing header and footer, without any modifications! (the integration even switches your document type declaration, ensuring the combination produces valid XHTML markup!)

NEW: Now you can also choose to have phpBB appear inside a WordPress page!

Automatic login integration

Users don’t need to register for a separate WordPress account – it is all managed behind the scenes by the integration package.

You can choose how user levels are mapped from phpBB to WordPress – for example, you could give phpBB users the ability to create posts, mods the power to edit posts, etc... or you could allow only phpBB admins to create posts, and everyone else to comment... the choice is yours. You can even turn the mapping completely off – allowing WordPress to use its own login system.

To blog or not to blog?

WP-United can provide the ability to give each community member their own blog. Members can choose the title, description, and even the look and feel of their own blogs. WordPress itself doesn’t even natively support this functionality!

For members who have blogs, a "Blog" button will show up in their profile and under their posts, which, when clicked, will take visitors directly to their blog.

Users can show their phpBB avatar in their blog – and community members commenting on blog posts can have theirs show up too.

Of course, any or all of these features may be turned off.

Plug n’ Play -- Zero Changes Required!

WP-United is a 100% phpBB mod. No changes whatsoever are made to WordPress files – which makes upgrading your WordPress install a breeze! You don’t even need to install a WordPress Plugin!

The mod applies all its behavioural changes to WordPress through a unique WP-United Connection. This Connection controls how WordPress behaves while it is integrated into phpBB.

The WP-United Connection is very flexible – WordPress can be installed anywhere on the same host relative to phpBB. You can install WordPress inside or outside your phpBB folder – or you can even install phpBB inside your WordPress folder!

Easy Setup Wizard

WP-United comes with an easy-to-follow Setup Wizard that resides in your phpBB Admin Control panel.

The Wizard walks you through setting up WordPress, and includes AJAx-enabled tools to auto-detect some of the key options for you. The Wizard establishes the WP-United Connection with your WordPress install with one click.

Theme compatibility

WP-United will work with almost any WordPress theme, out of the box. (However, if you want to provide per-user blogs, you will probably want to make a couple of small changes so you can list users on the WordPress homepage -- a sample index page is included in the mod to help you get started.)

NOTES:

- The blog.tpl file is for a stock subSilver install. If you've made any changes to your template files, you may have to adjust blog.tpl accordingly. It should be very straightforward. Comments are included in blog.tpl to help you.

- Tested and works with EasyMOD v0.30

- Tested and works with WordPress 2.0.x - 2.2.x -- Tested & works with phpBB 2.0.21 & 2.0.22
- phpBB3 version in development

MOD Version: v0.9.5

MOD Download:

Demo Board:

For a number of demo boards, and sample integrations, visit www.WP-United.com.
Last edited by Jhong on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 45 times in total.
gamerxgirl

Post by gamerxgirl »

I know of an existing phpbb and wordpress integration mod that works, and is currently supported. If I find the link once again I will let you know.
HoundoftheB

Post by HoundoftheB »

I've actually been looking for something like this. I'd definitely be interested.
DeeDeeINFJ

Post by DeeDeeINFJ »

I would definitely be interested! :D
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

gamerxgirl wrote: I know of an existing phpbb and wordpress integration mod that works, and is currently supported. If I find the link once again I will let you know.

Not like this it hasn't ;)

Are you talking about the one at happypoet.com -- wphpbb?

If so, that handles user registration via a plugin and modified login from the wordpress side -- replacing the phpBB login altogether. Many of us (me, anyway) have modded phpBB's login.php already, so this isn't an option.

However, for the integrated logins, that code has given me a head start.

There is also nothing there which handles the integration of wordpress into a phpBB page.
jasonago

interesting

Post by jasonago »

I am very much interested in this upcoming mod...I have tried wphpbb and it is hard to configure...

I hope your system can be installed easily even with EasyMod...
Marnboorapa

Post by Marnboorapa »

I think wordpress is very slow and don't have lang files, If you would like to use blog system you can use "Nucleus" ( 2-3 x faster than WP )and it has phpbb conect script.
gansert

Post by gansert »

Wordpress is very fast. Where is it slow??

Also interested. Nice Idea.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Thanks.

I'll tidy it up and put in an ACP configuration page... hopefully won't take too long.

Personally, I believe that when it comes to blogging - and article management, WordPress is best-in-class. Both in terms of looks, ease of use, and code. Many popular websites are now entirely driven by WordPress, and, like phpBB, there is a huge range of templates freely available. Most templates are written in standards-compliant code, and -unlike phpBB - text is generally chunky, easy to read, and accessible.

--
Last edited by Jhong on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

There you go.... MOD posted
HoundoftheB

Post by HoundoftheB »

Sweet, I'll try it out soon.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

updated to v0.8.11

A couple of important changes in v 0.8.1.1

NEW: auto path discovery altered to also work on Windows servers
FIXED: phpBB's $userdata was being overwritten by WordPress but problems only manifested on latest testing machine. The possibility of other variables being overwritten will be addressed in the next release.

Also fixed several file / copy lines that were missing from the MOD file.
Last edited by Jhong on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Another update: v0.8.2.1

FIXED: All phpBB variables that might be trodden on are now restored to their original state after WordPress has finished executing.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Updated to v0.8.5.0 BETA

The mod now handles user authentication in WordPress (selectable via an option in phpBB's asdmin control panel). A WordPress account is created for each user the first time they visit the integration.

Please let me have any positive/negative feedback....
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Do please keep developing; I am most interested in this. I just haven't had the time to try out any of your code yet. I did some work along these lines, but never got a clean final product. I'm hoping you will have better luck.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”