keep unread flags

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
75%
Very Good
17%
Good
4%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 96

TrakGPS

keep unread without login ??

Post by TrakGPS »

I would like to know if it's normal with this mod that users can see keep unread flags without connect or login .... or someone can telling me the patch for that.

Thanks i appreciate your help !!! :D

By the way i was here many time but today i decide to register :oops:

So Hello to all of you king of code !!!

Eric
TrakGPS Inc.
Real Time GPS Tracking Solutions
Name: Alan

Re: keep unread without login ??

Post by asinshesq »

TrakGPS wrote: I would like to know if it's normal with this mod that users can see keep unread flags without connect or login .... or someone can telling me the patch for that.

The unread flag information for users who are logged in gets stored in the database but the unread flag information for users who are NOT logged in gets stored in cookies. So guests who do not log in will see unread flags (via cookies) if they are using the same computer to visit the site.
TrakGPS

Post by TrakGPS »

Thanks for reply...

I know about the database and cookies. But maybe someone have something done to force the user to login to see unread flags like the mailbox ?

Thank you !
TrakGPS Inc.
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

TrakGPS wrote: Thanks for reply...

I know about the database and cookies. But maybe someone have something done to force the user to login to see unread flags like the mailbox ?

Thank you !

Are you asking how to disable the flags for people not logged in? If that's what you want to do the mod has an author's note that tells you how to do that.
TrakGPS

Post by TrakGPS »

Great.... I was not see this in the author file !!!

Many Thanks for your help :lol:
TrakGPS Inc.

Post by PaulusB »

solved
angelp1ay

Post by angelp1ay »

Previously I wrote:
angelp1ay wrote: I have installed on my board View new topics since last visit v1_0_2 which still allows users to search for topics posted since last visit as well as those marked unread.

The view topics since last visit link successfully displays a search page with a list of all new topics. Is it possible to still get a search page with a list of all new posts? From what I understand of the mod it seems to overwrite the "view posts since last visit" code with "view all unread posts" - can you get both?

It would be nice to get to:

Code: Select all

View topics since last visit (3 topics)
View posts since last visit (5 posts)
View all unread posts (2 topics)
View all unanswered posts
View all of your posts

View all posts in last:  - time period - 
angelp1ay wrote: ...I found the link to the mod:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=222168

I presume if I run through this again substituting "newtopics" for say "postssincevisit" (so as not to clash with the keep unread mod) and if I tweak the SQL to dig out posts instead of topics...

Anyway I guess this might help some other people - I'll post an update once I try going through this.

I believe I have successfully managed this.

I now have on my forum:
View posts since last visit (4 posts)
View topics since last visit (3 topics)
View all unread posts (2 topics)

View all of your posts
View all unanswered posts

View all posts in last: - time period -

...and I believe the links all perform the correct searches.

In the end I decided to change all references of "newposts" from this mod to "unread" (I thought it was more appropriate) and then installed this mod:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=222168

...but swapping "newtopics" for, the now free, "newposts" for the search for new posts since last visit option, and swapped the SQL in search.php for this to get posts rather than topics:

Code: Select all

// Start Mod - restore newposts since last visit
			else if ( $search_id == 'newposts' )
			{
				if ( $userdata['session_logged_in'] )
				{
					$sql = "SELECT post_id
						FROM " . POSTS_TABLE . "
						WHERE post_time >= " . $userdata['user_lastvisit'];
				}
				else
				{
					redirect(append_sid("login.$phpEx?redirect=search.$phpEx&search_id=newposts", true));
				}

$show_results = 'topics';
				$sort_by = 0;
				$sort_dir = 'DESC';
			} 
			// End Mod - restore newposts since last visit
Anyway, I thought it might be useful for someone...
moodgard

Can't get it to work

Post by moodgard »

Hope you can help me here. I have scanned through the last 8 pages and also triple-checked the changes I have made.

The "view unread posts" is still giving me the "view posts since last visit" results.

I added the additional changes for the Simple subforum mod, which has a potential impact. Otherwise, I don't have other conflicting mods listed in your instructions.

I'm using version 2.0.6 in the first post as the base mod. The database is getting updated, user_unread_topics has some values in it.

I guess I should look at search.php , but like I said, I have checked all the changes and they are fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Merlin Sythove

Re: Can't get it to work

Post by Merlin Sythove »

moodgard wrote: Hope you can help me here. I have scanned through the last 8 pages and also triple-checked the changes I have made.

The "view unread posts" is still giving me the "view posts since last visit" results.

Numeric total of new posts since last visit?
That is correct. There is no numeric total of all unread posts in this mod. That would take too much time to compute. There IS a numeric total of the number of TOPICS with unread posts in them (but the number of unread posts is unspecified).
Does this answer your question?
Need custom work done? Pimp My Forum!
moodgard

Re: Can't get it to work

Post by moodgard »

Merlin Sythove wrote:
moodgard wrote:Hope you can help me here. I have scanned through the last 8 pages and also triple-checked the changes I have made.

Numeric total of new posts since last visit?
That is correct. There is no numeric total of all unread posts in this mod. That would take too much time to compute. There IS a numeric total of the number of TOPICS with unread posts in them (but the number of unread posts is unspecified).
Does this answer your question?

No, I mean actual posts. The unread flags go away with end of the session. So functionally, it's doing what it always did, despite the mod.
Merlin Sythove

Post by Merlin Sythove »

Weird. I suppose you have checked that you have not set it using cookies and then turn off cookies. I suppose you have checked that Easymod has actually uploaded the changed files, and that your database field has actually been made?
Need custom work done? Pimp My Forum!
moodgard

Post by moodgard »

No, I am using the database, not cookies. The column user_unread_topics has been added to the users table, and actually has timestamp values in it for people who have logged in.

I made the changes manually and went through it a few times to make sure everything is ok.

I am stumped. I'll have to try some kind of debug.
_RAAF_Furball

Keep Read MOD with 2.0.21

Post by _RAAF_Furball »

I notice that the first post in this Topic states that this Keep Read MOD has only been tested to V 2.0.6.

Has anyone tested this MOD with 2.0.21?
_RAAF_Furball, CO

RAAF website Image

Furball's website Image
zeber

Re: Keep Read MOD with 2.0.21

Post by zeber »

_RAAF_Furball wrote: Has anyone tested this MOD with 2.0.21?[/color]

have been using it for months (with guest unreads disabled). Works just great.
Zeber
_RAAF_Furball

Post by _RAAF_Furball »

Thank you !!

(Much appreciated.)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”