Anyone else think the Wii is a winner?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
IsaacWD

Anyone else think the Wii is a winner?

Post by IsaacWD »

Okay, so how many of you have played the Nintendo Wii now that it's out? My friend got one over a week ago, and it is hands down the most fun I've ever had playing video games. I live in a dorm room at college, and everytime we turn the thing on there's at least 3-5 people in the room wanting to play within a few minutes - and that's just playing the games on Wii Sports (which comes with the console). Everybody seems to enjoy playing it. People who are doubtful change their minds after only a couple minutes of playing.

We picked up Zelda the other day, and three of us have each played it about 5 hours. The control scheme just makes gaming so much more involving.

And I don't want to get into a graphics debate here, but while you're playing the Wii, you don't even think about graphics because you're so absorbed in the game play.

Does anyone else think that Nintendo is going to have a huge success with the Wii?
brubakes

Post by brubakes »

I think the Wii is the best chance Nintendo has had at reclaiming market share in a long time.
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

Even at their lowest prices, I can't afford to try it at this time. This and the PS3.

[email protected].
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

I played the Wii a while the night before it came out and it was a blast! :D I played Excite Truck and while it was a little different getting used to the controller, it really did feel natural after a few minutes of play. Just tilt the remote to make the truck accelerate and steer. Personally, I think Nintendo was brilliant to forget the "latest and greatest" graphics title and just make a truly fun system to use. I won't buy one now, but I want one!
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W »

I think graphics may not make a good game but good play control and fun factor do. Wii is the next gen console, best graphics will always be outdated by new ones but innovative gaming experience is an ultimate one time deal.
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

I'm just glad Nintendo has always been glad to try out something new, even things which could change the dynamics of how we play games completely... The NEW Power Glove, the ability to save games (The Legend of Zelda), the Game Boy, the Virtua Boy, the SNES Super Scope, the Rumble Pak, the Nintendo DS, and probably more. Some of them obviously didn't affect much (the Virtua Boy, for instance), but others have had long-lasting repercussions.

If I could at this moment afford a Wii console (and if one was available anywhere closer than eBay), I'd buy it without much second thought at all.
RickBeckman.org | The Fellowship Hall – Diversity-friendly Religious Forums
Gurv720

Post by Gurv720 »

I really want to get one, but sadly I can't find any places that have it.
Gurv720
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

romans1423, it's called Virtual Boy, not Virtua Boy.

One of my friends bought a Wii controller and Twighlight Princess right on the day they came out, and bought a Wii several days later because he could not find one on the same day. I haven't played it, but it is my first choice out of the three, and is quite likely to do better than the competition. One of the few things wrong with it I think is the lack of DVD video playback, which is ridiculous since it is already playing it's games off DVD discs, and it can play videos off SD memory cards (using a very obscure and inefficient codec, but still...).

Nintendo would have done well with the Virtual Boy if they hadn't given up on it so quickly.
Erisar
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Sarmany

Post by Erisar »

beatme101 wrote: One of the few things wrong with it I think is the lack of DVD video playback, which is ridiculous since it is already playing it's games off DVD discs, and it can play videos off SD memory cards (using a very obscure and inefficient codec, but still...).

I never understood why people want DVD playback from something that has nothing to do with movies; it's a gaming console. It's like critiquing a vacuum because it doesn't mop the floor too. Nonetheless, there's a rumor the next revision of the Wii will indeed support DVD playback.

One of my favorite things about the Wii is the Virtual Console. I'm a fan of old-school games, so to play things like Bonk and Super Mario (coming soon I hope) is awesome and a very intelligent profit-making strategy for Nintendo. Of course the controller is awesome too, but there's still some tweaking of a few things that I hope Nintendo will do for the Wii 2.0 ;).
My Twitter · Erisar Design [Web Development and Graphic Design]
romans1423

Post by romans1423 »

Virtual Boy... Dang. Well, I never owned one, and I was still a kid when they came out and passed away, so I'll use those as my excuses. :)

And I do think the Virtual Console is a brilliant idea. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. :?
theNERVE

Post by theNERVE »

Wii is extremely fun. While the small delay takes some time to getting used to, Wii Sports can keep me and a few friends entertained for hours.
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

About the Virtual Console. I think there are many people who won't use it just because they can DL roms for the games. Instead of paying for the games. I plan on getting a Wii and using the Virtual Console though. Mostly for N64 games.
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

Bah, the problem with the Virtual Console is that each game takes up a Wii Channel, and there is 48 channel slots, so you can only have up to 48 Virtual Console games minus the slots that are taken up already by other things. And if you buy a new Wii for whatever reason, you cannot transfer your Virtual Console games over, so you will have to buy them all over again if you ever want to play them on your new Wii.
romans1423

Post by romans1423 »

beatme101 wrote: Bah, the problem with the Virtual Console is that each game takes up a Wii Channel, and there is 48 channel slots, so you can only have up to 48 Virtual Console games minus the slots that are taken up already by other things. And if you buy a new Wii for whatever reason, you cannot transfer your Virtual Console games over, so you will have to buy them all over again if you ever want to play them on your new Wii.

They can't be stored on the SD Cards or whatever it is compatible with? That's the impression I initially got, but I've never actually played one. I had figured via the SD Cards games could be offloaded onto a comp's hard drive for storage and moved back to the Wii to play.

Only 48? Wow... That's limited. Games pile up quick!
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Ryan_W wrote: I think graphics may not make a good game but good play control and fun factor do. Wii is the next gen console, best graphics will always be outdated by new ones but innovative gaming experience is an ultimate one time deal.

Finally! Someone's realised that games aren't about the graphics, rather the gameplay. Case in point, Age of Empires. AoE2 was great in that it could be played for ages; it had tons of longer scenarios that resulted in a fair amount of gameplay. AoE3 on the other hand had great graphics, but only one scenario. And even that wasn't terribly difficult to beat, resulting in what, 2 days of challange?

I agree that graphics are good, but when game devs focus on them too much the game suffers. If Nintendo have made truly fun games to play I think it will take off

Return to “General Discussion”