[BETA] There's no goodies for you SPAM-BOT!

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Nux

[BETA] There's no goodies for you SPAM-BOT!

Post by Nux »

MOD Title: There's no goodies for you SPAMBOT!
MOD Description: A simple but efficient MOD that should stop SPAM-users from registering at your forum.
MOD Version: 0.1.0

MOD Download: spam_users.zip
Last Stable version: -

Demo Board: sorry we have a fragile server ;)

How does it work? Well there are two aspects of this MOD:
1. At first it just added a special meta tag on the User profile and Member list pages. That meta tag should stop spamers from registering new users, because the links won't be indexed by Google and probably any other search engines like that.
2. Now it also disables the ability to set the website on registering and so spamers should immediately notice that there is no use of registering (if they will try to bypass the lock on form filed they will be halted with an error message).

EDIT: This MOD is a friend to Deter Comment Spam MOD ;)
Last edited by Nux on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My page: DOM, Javascript, SQL - tips&scripts (mostly in Polish, sorry ;))
Nux

Post by Nux »

Wee it worked :D. Spam bots seem to back out from registering users after about a month. Now only some looser spamers register :twisted:, but not more then about one in a week (if any).
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

it really works. it looks so simple. why have you put the coding into usercp_viewprofile.php however? just to stop them viewing profiles :?
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

mmz... search and harvest bots will (probably) not follow the links. this inludes googlebot and the msn/live bot...

do you really want that ?

next.. there are some bots that visit some pages and read them out to determine your board is a phpbb and then directly hit the registration page.
But that is not covered with this mod..
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
Nux

Post by Nux »

Ramon Fincken wrote: mmz... search and harvest bots will (probably) not follow the links. this inludes googlebot and the msn/live bot...

do you really want that ?

Yes because it's only on two pages.
Ramon Fincken wrote: next.. there are some bots that visit some pages and read them out to determine your board is a phpbb and then directly hit the registration page.
But that is not covered with this mod..

Well even if they will get registered they won't be indexed so I don't care. I come once in a month and clear userlist of those spamers that aren't smart enough :lol:.
Nux

Post by Nux »

As seems they were back after sometime after all. But no need to worry I've added some simple instructions changing:
# includes/usercp_register.php
# templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

Now spamers are not able to set their website and if they will try they will get a nice error message ;). Other users may set their website field in their profiles after being activated (I use activation on my forum).
askimcafe72
I've Been Banned!

ı are you

Post by askimcafe72 »

[excessive and unrelated links removed - drathbun]

When a user requests to join a project, users with project admin permissions within the target project will receive the request via e-mail from SourceForge and the request will show up on their "My Page" under the "items awaiting my approval tab".
handkante

Post by handkante »

Well even if they will get registered they won't be indexed so I don't care. I come once in a month and clear userlist of those spamers that aren't smart enough

[excessive and unrelated links removed, please read the rules and put links - as allowed - in your signature instead. - drathbun]
koups

Re: [BETA] There's no goodies for you SPAM-BOT!

Post by koups »

Hi, I am running phpBB 2.0.13- will this mod work? I am plagued by these no-lifer people who are spamming my board? I cant seem to get the video file to play for some reason. Thanks!
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

koups wrote: Hi, I am running phpBB 2.0.13

oOPS.. update ASAP to 2.0.22 prior to ask if a MOD will work there. ;) You need to do it IMHO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
koups

Post by koups »

I have upgraded but I cannot find the instructions on how to install this mod. Windows media player wont play the video file- any ideas please. Thanks.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”