Posts gone from forum

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
pappfer

Posts gone from forum

Post by pappfer »

Hi!

I have a weird problem. Yesterday about 15 000 posts were gone from my forum, but those posts are still in the database, they just don't show up in my forum.

Some of my settings has disappeared, too. I had setted up some forum permissions some days ago but now it's been replaced with the old forum permissions.

At the bottom of my forum I see that most users ever online was 70, while it was 113 before (in database it shows only 70). So the posts stayed in database well, but some setting hasn't.

Any idea how could I restore my posts to show up in the forum?

Thanks!
Last edited by pappfer on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjnpf

Post by kjnpf »

have the posts gone from a particular forum on your message board or from random fora on your board?
Keith Jordan
Neptune Pink Floyd
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Random topics from random forums..
Since afternoon some topics just came back without me touching anything.
Maybe it just needs some kind of rebuilding some indexes or something like that. Is there a MOD like that?

I'd really appreciate any kind of help I'm really confused over this whole thing and I have no idea how it could have happened.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Have you been deleting things, such as members or topics directly from the database?
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

No! I haven't even touched the database nowadays.
All I did was some days ago I removed a template and changed some images in subSilver template, changed it's colours and renamed it, but I don't think that could cause any problems. The forum was working perfectly after that.

Some months ago when I was moving the forum I had some problems with character coding, so I changed it. I'm using UTF-8 instead of the default latin1. But it was working perfectly after the change. Now all posts disappeared which were made after that coding change, so it must be related somehow..
abusedemailaddress

Post by abusedemailaddress »

Go to phpbbhacks.com and search for "db maintenance". It is a utility to make sure that your inter-table links are correct, and it often fixes this sort of problem.
The abuse will continue until morale improves!
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Thanks, I tried it, great MOD, but I'm afraid it didn't help either! :(
Now it seems that some topics are just coming back from day to day without any reason.
I still miss at least 10 000 posts thought and have no idea at all what's going on.

This whole thing is just weird and I really miss those posts.
From one day to another loads of posts just disappear and then some of them just comes back accidentely...
JulieJesta

Post by JulieJesta »

i had something like this. was annoying. it was never fixed. sorry. i just had to delete older posts and start over.
Julie, Mum to 1 boy, 1 boyfriend, and many fluffy pets. :)
http://www.parentstime.co.uk
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I had that happen several times on my forum.... it was as if I had two different databases, with logins connecting to one or the other. I theorize it was a host problem, with mirrored servers which were not mirrored properly.
Organic Angel Alexiel

Post by Organic Angel Alexiel »

While playing around with my own database (in ways I probably shouldn't have) I encountered something like this. If you webhost altered the database, like the user table, or the forum, or post tables, then something like that would occur. Especially the usertable. If you change the user ID number, even if you update anything that points to it... that will happen.

To prevent something like that again, make regular backups of the database, using phpmyadmin, or some other non-core method. I have had many problems using the core db backup method. it doesn't keep default values, and if you don't think that is important... what is the default type of post? (and yes I have tried to get the problem fixed overall... but nothing)
Need help with apache? Visit the Apache Lounge
I would heartily recommend reading through the Knowledge Base. I recently have and it has solved a number of questions I had.
EasyMod is great for a vanilla phpBB. Visit my website and see why I do everything by hand. :P
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

I got something in my mind.
As I mentioned above I've lost all posts and topics which were posted after 25th October, the date when I was moving the forum from one host to another. I remember I had some encoding problems (at new host there were problems with special characters) so I added some lines to /db/includes/mysql.php

Code: Select all

if($this->db_connect_id)
		{
			if($database != "")
			{
				$this->dbname = $database;
				$dbselect = @mysql_select_db($this->dbname);
				if(!$dbselect)
				{
					@mysql_close($this->db_connect_id);
					$this->db_connect_id = $dbselect;
				}
			}

// [I added]
			mysql_query("SET NAMES latin2",$this->db_connect_id);

return $this->db_connect_id;
		}
		else
		{
			return false;
		}
	} 
It was working good afterwards. Some days ago I deleted my whole forum and replaced it with a new fresh one but I forgot to make these changes in mysql.php again. 2 days later the above mentioned 20 000 posts were gone.

Can this be the reason why I lost my posts? Cause I just can't imagine why should phpBB delete anything when it couldn't read some posts in correct charset or something like that.

Or is this not related at all?
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

pappfer wrote: Can this be the reason why I lost my posts?

That'd be a big help if someone could answer this question because if that couldn't cause the problem then I have to still look for the reason why my posts went away.

I just can't be calm at all in present situation cause I never know if I'll lose 20 000 more posts tomorrow or the day after tomorrow or whenever..
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

pappfer wrote:
pappfer wrote:Can this be the reason why I lost my posts?

That'd be a big help if someone could answer this question because if that couldn't cause the problem then I have to still look for the reason why my posts went away.

I just can't be calm at all in present situation cause I never know if I'll lose 20 000 more posts tomorrow or the day after tomorrow or whenever..

as long as the posts are in the database and you have a backup of that database, then you can't lose anything.

posts do not just disappear and reappear by themselves.

check with your host and see if they are having database problems.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Unfortunately I don't have those posts from the database any more, I have no idea how some (just a few) posts came back. But the most annoying thing is that I have no idea how this could have happened and I'm aware that it will happen again if I can't find the cause.

Do you think that could cause the problem that I changed encoding months ago, and when I reinstalled (deleted and re-uploaded) my forum I forgot to change encoding back? Because I don't think that could cause the loss, but I have nothing else to think about.
ufopsi

Post by ufopsi »

I may have a similar issue. No problem from me, but a user has reported 2 of his posts have disappeared after a few days. It took him 1 hour to write each. I've never seen these threads. What can it be?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”