[14/12/06] Textual Confirmation

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
82%
Very Good
12%
Good
2%
Fair
1%
Poor
3%

Total votes: 144

Helitown

Post by Helitown » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:05 am

jentekk wrote:
Helitown wrote: Can some point me to where I can change the wording...

Yes, you can do this through the Administration Panel.

Jen

Hi Jen,
I meant to change the defualt "Answer the Textual Confirmation question to prove you are not a spambot." to something else - not he questions and answers.
Thanks

olpa

Post by olpa » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:47 am

I meant to change the defualt "Answer the Textual Confirmation question to prove you are not a spambot." to something else - not he questions and answers.

This phrase is in the file "language/lang_english/lang_tc.php". By the way, I wonder what's that something else.

olpa

Post by olpa » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:51 am

But how can I get it to ask the question at random?

Textual Confrimation does ask the question at random. Make sure you have more than one question and reload the registration page several times.

olpa

Post by olpa » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:56 am

anyway, i've got one concern: it says an email goes out to some database in case somebody fails the test -- what happens to that data? i just tried to register and failed the test on purpose (just to see) -- am i now listed as a spammer on the database (with IP, browser, mail adress...)? i don't think i would like to be on that list (as would any legitimate user who failed the test for some stupid reason). care to clear this up?

The people who receive the Textual Confirmation data will be able to tell you apart from the spam bots - easily! :-)

Yes, sure. Thanks jentekk!

Indeed, if I fail to separate the bot failures and tests from the legitimate user, I'll ban myself in the first place. I don't want to ban myself :-), therefore the system will be smart.

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:54 am

olpa wrote:
Tested the mod, and I can still register with the wrong answer. In fact, I can register with no answer.

Most likely:
* the database table was not created, or
* no questions defined.
Please go to the administration panel, the Textual Confirmation section and check that the questions exist.

http://www.shadedsociety.com/images/data.jpg
http://www.shadedsociety.com/images/admintxt.jpg
and also take a gander at the registration page
http://www.shadedsociety.com/profile.ph ... b16bb0716f
Coming Soon! Mouse&Wheel.org

olpa

Post by olpa » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks, I see that the questions are defined. Would you please check that the call to "tc_hook_register()" is added to "includes/functions_tc.php"? If the call is there, please send me (to <olepar gmail com>) the copy of the file "includes/functions_tc.php", I'll look into the issue.

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:49 pm

e-mail sent
Coming Soon! Mouse&Wheel.org

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:26 pm

Love this mod guys. I have had NO bots what so ever! Grate MOD! :wink:
Jez

ControlThis.co.uk - Your online model shop

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:31 pm

How can I change the Textual Confirmation question? At the moment it reeds.

Code: Select all

Answer the Textual Confirmation question to prove you are not a spambot.
Jez

Helitown

Post by Helitown » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:38 pm

olpa wrote:

This phrase is in the file "language/lang_english/lang_tc.php". By the way, I wonder what's that something else.

Thanks for pointing out.

I saw another forum has something like, "answering this question will help to prevent spambots" or something like that to let legimate users know that they are helping by answering the questoin.

When I first saw the question when I was registering with another forum, I was a little irritated seeing the question "are you are human?" But once I knew that this was to prevent spambots, I understood why.

By the way, this Mod is working very well so far. Last night I had 13 spam registerers caught by this and legimate users seem to be able to pass the question OK.

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi guys can I ask is it worth having the confirmation code i.e. the visual one which is stranded I believe in the php if you have got the Textual Confirmation mod installed?
Jez

Helitown

Post by Helitown » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:28 pm

I am not using the confirmation code at this point (because I had some issues with the code) and don't want to many things the user have to do as some of the users are very illiterate with Internet specially with my forum - most of them are retirees. Some of them don't even know how to post a question. I got one person complained about to much hassle with too many security things. So I think it is not necessary and so far so good with the textual con.
Last edited by Helitown on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helitown

Post by Helitown » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:33 pm

JezUK1 wrote: How can I change the Textual Confirmation question? At the moment it reeds.

Code: Select all

Answer the Textual Confirmation question to prove you are not a spambot.

JezUK1, I now changed mine to "Answering the Textual Confirmation question will help to prevent spambot registrations." just to ge the users to understand why they have to answer the question.

tbtguide

Post by tbtguide » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:16 am

jentekk wrote:
lodp wrote: anyway, i've got one concern: it says an email goes out to some database in case somebody fails the test -- what happens to that data? i just tried to register and failed the test on purpose (just to see) -- am i now listed as a spammer on the database (with IP, browser, mail adress...)? i don't think i would like to be on that list (as would any legitimate user who failed the test for some stupid reason). care to clear this up?

I wouldn't worry about it.

The people who receive the Textual Confirmation data will be able to tell you apart from the spam bots - easily! :)

But it would seem to be a good idea to disclose to people before they enter any information that if they make a mistake their registration information will be sent to a third party.

olpa

Post by olpa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:45 am

I saw another forum has something like, "answering this question will help to prevent spambots" or something like that to let legimate users know that they are helping by answering the questoin.

Thanks, it's a nice phrase and suggestion. I'll try to improve the default TC message.
Hi guys can I ask is it worth having the confirmation code i.e. the visual one which is stranded I believe in the php if you have got the Textual Confirmation mod installed?

I switched Visual Confirmation off:
* the default one doesn't add any protection, and
* I hate Advanced Visual Confirmation, once I needed 6 attempts to pass it.
But it would seem to be a good idea to disclose to people before they enter any information that if they make a mistake their registration information will be sent to a third party.

Yes, sure, but I decided to go a better way. In the next revision of the mod, I'll remove sending the data to a third party.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”