[BETA] Automatic Database backup

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Wingzfan

Post by Wingzfan »

loved this mod but my host just suspended my account because it shut down 2 servers. The first one I was on was shared so they put it on a dedicated temporarily and it shut that one down also :(
jerx

Post by jerx »

Wingzfan wrote: loved this mod but my host just suspended my account because it shut down 2 servers. The first one I was on was shared so they put it on a dedicated temporarily and it shut that one down also :(

You mean your host shut down your account because of this mod? What was their argumentation for doing this? Too much load, bandwidth?
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

Im sorry to hear that Wingzfan. There isnt much that I can do now. The server load increases as your database size increases. So if your database is 13Mb, php will be using about 13.2MB of RAM. One way to reduce it is to exclude tables that arent needed like search.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
Wingzfan

Post by Wingzfan »

Its no biggy I knew it was a bit of a system hog when I installed it so no prob. Cant wait till someone figures out how to make it not take so many resources. They gave me the specs and when the script ran I was using over 50% of the cpu and I want to say 5 % of the ram. The ram wasnt the big one but the cpu kinda irritated them ;). Ill keep a eye on this thread for updates and Ill be reinstallign it again once the issue is resolved.
denskie war

Post by denskie war »

I needed te deinstall this mod.

My forum went down and when i contacted my host they said that the CPU was 100%.

I deleted that mod and everything was fine
Electra736

Post by Electra736 »

kkroo wrote: Im sorry to hear that Wingzfan. There isnt much that I can do now. The server load increases as your database size increases. So if your database is 13Mb, php will be using about 13.2MB of RAM. One way to reduce it is to exclude tables that arent needed like search.

Nope Omar, the previous versions are perfect. The main reason I can see behind these errors is that the board isn't disabled when a backup is made. So, if changes are made to the database during the backup process, the backup process halts and starts again the second time. This keeps on going till a successful backup is made. On top of that, after making the backup the processes don't terminate. So a queue of processes makes up and causes the server to overload.
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

Thanks for the info Electra736, I had that feature in previous versions, but it would disable many peoples boards and not re-enable them. Ill try adding it back by adding a fix to the feature from the previous versions
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
kdtcat

Post by kdtcat »

I would like to point out that the never ending threads are only occuring at last day of month!!!! It hit me again at January 31st and I had to comment out cron.php to prevent my provider from killing me. :(

I even could see the loops at your site "http://phpbb-login.sourceforge.net" today. :!:
have a nice day
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

Sorry about that. I had to rename cron.php so it doesnt kill my server too.

I hopefully fixed that bug with these new updates:

Code: Select all

## 2006-2-01 - Version 1.0.2
##      - Fixed the bug in which the cron doesnt work on the last day of the month.
## 
## 2006-1-31 - Version 1.0.1
##      - Re-added the feature that disables the board during backup
## 
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
kdtcat

Post by kdtcat »

kkroo wrote: Sorry about that. I had to rename cron.php so it doesnt kill my server too.

I hopefully fixed that bug with these new updates:

Code: Select all

## 2006-2-01 - Version 1.0.2
##      - Fixed the bug in which the cron doesnt work on the last day of the month.
## 
## 2006-1-31 - Version 1.0.1
##      - Re-added the feature that disables the board during backup
## 

I guess comments wouldn't fix the problem. :lol:
No problem kkroo. Take your time for the fix. I like your mod and will wait patiently. :)

Ups I just saw that the download link leads to a new version....
have a nice day
Janmarques

Post by Janmarques »

Hi all,
I've installed this mod and it all worked fine.

Tough, after a php-crash at the server where my forum 's hosted, no backups were sended anymore...

Any idea how to solve this?
Janmarques

Post by Janmarques »

Noone has an idea about this?
Liquinn

Post by Liquinn »

You need a working backup to put the forum back. If you see what I mean :)
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.
Janmarques

Post by Janmarques »

My forum still works, it's only the backup mod which doesn't work anymore!
Wingzfan

Post by Wingzfan »

your host may have disabled it. Read thru the pages, the script crashes servers so most, if not all, hosts wont allow you to run it. Were waiting for the script to be fixed.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”