IP Address: How can I get the user's IP w/no posts?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
IgnorantNewGuy

IP Address: How can I get the user's IP w/no posts?

Post by IgnorantNewGuy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:26 am

A user hasn't posted yet and I don't want them to. I want to ban them via IP, but because they haven't posted yet, how can I get their IP?

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: IP Address: How can I get the user's IP w/no posts?

Post by Marshalrusty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:32 am

IgnorantNewGuy wrote: A user hasn't posted yet and I don't want them to. I want to ban them via IP, but because they haven't posted yet, how can I get their IP?

phpBB only stores IPs when users post. The only way to do his would be to either catch the user online and get the IP from the who is online in the administration panel, or to check the server access logs.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

IgnorantNewGuy

Post by IgnorantNewGuy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:46 am

I'll try the server access logs. I know when they were on last. Thanks a bunch! Now I just need to figure out how to do that. :) I'm sure my host can help out.

morestuff

Post by morestuff » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:17 am

you won't be able to ban them via IP anyway. most people get a new IP everything they logon to the internet.

IgnorantNewGuy

Post by IgnorantNewGuy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:47 am

Well, that is partly true, especially true with AOL but many others are static if they're with the big ones.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:17 am

IgnorantNewGuy wrote: Well, that is partly true, especially true with AOL but many others are static if they're with the big ones.

Very few are static, most ISP's only assign static IP's if the user pays extra, I know my ISP charges a small fortune for one. If you are having spam bot problems you should give the VIP mod a go, if you are having a user problem you are best reporting them to their ISP via the abuse contact email you will find when doing a lookup of their IP :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”