ACP interface goes independent?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
SAK `

ACP interface goes independent?

Post by SAK ` »

Back in the 2.0 series, I remember we had the admin/ directory in the same style folder. Here on Olympus, I see the ACP reformed itself into its own style directory in phpBB3/admin/. It's no problem to create our own ACP skin for Olympus, but what is the purpose of the admin/ style directory being itself?

steve/PXC
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: ACP interface goes independent?

Post by karlsemple »

Pretty sure that it allows you to have a different ACP style to the rest of the forum and that is going to be the purpose of it.
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

No, it's so that you only have one set of template files for the ACP and therefore is easier to update and keep updated etc. You are discouraged from editing it for this reason (also you don't need to, as probably only you see it).
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Thatbitextra wrote: No, it's so that you only have one set of template files for the ACP and therefore is easier to update and keep updated etc. You are discouraged from editing it for this reason (also you don't need to, as probably only you see it).

Most people will edit it, very few are going to want an admin panel that looks nothing like the rest of their site or forum.
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member

Post by Thatbitextra »

The majority of 2.0.x styles used the default ACP files. For the amount of time it's seen by the few admins on an average board, it wasn't worth the hassle of designing it to match, so most authors didn't.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Thatbitextra wrote: The majority of 2.0.x styles used the default ACP files. For the amount of time it's seen by the few admins on an average board, it wasn't worth the hassle of designing it to match, so most authors didn't.

lazy so and so's 8)

EDIT: Actually lets be honest it is because most did not know how to get the style working in the ACP only the likes of cyberalien and other experienced style authors did
Zero Override

Post by Zero Override »

Thatbitextra wrote: The majority of 2.0.x styles used the default ACP files. For the amount of time it's seen by the few admins on an average board, it wasn't worth the hassle of designing it to match, so most authors didn't.
True, when everyone gets to see your ACP, perhaps you should spent some time to make it look nice. But since only a few people get to see your ACP, why should you? :)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Zero Override wrote:
True, when everyone gets to see your ACP, perhaps you should spent some time to make it look nice. But since only a few people get to see your ACP, why should you? :)

Some of us are just fussy.....it would bother me knowing it was not styled with the site...it would keep me awake at night.... yup I need help 8O
Zero Override

Post by Zero Override »

karlsemple wrote: Some of us are just fussy.....it would bother me knowing it was not styled with the site...it would keep me awake at night.... yup I need help 8O
Hehe, I sure felt bad at nights when I knew phpBB.com was down, but when you feel bad when a forum's ACP is not styled... :lol:
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

For some reason, I always thought that whenever you create your ACP interface to finish development of your next skin, you actually "feel right at home" when you do most of the ACP work. This is basically how things have been since I created blueCube in 2004. Since I once put together what I wanted to make my forums look like serious money's worth, I thought I would do the same with ACP side to maintain some order of the entire template's viewing pleasure. Of course, regardless of whoever else was granted ACP access on your site, it is strict that they have to respect your setting (not defaults all the time) in some way.

At least I know now that if I do make changes to the only ACP interface that phpBB3 provided, there may be potentially problems down the road when looking to update that one part/feature in the future. :lol:

steve/PXC
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

The reason as I have seen it posted on Area51 is simple. To many people would screw up their install have to reinstall and since they weren't using subSilver their theme wouldn't be installed yet. Therefore they couldn't log in. This change was made to avoid that newb mistake altogether.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
AngusThermopile

Post by AngusThermopile »

Skinning the ACP was a huge waste of time as far as I was concerned.

In some cases it meant nothing more than applying the CSS the style uses to it which is fine. However if the main theme used huge chunks of modified HTML then it meant a lot of extra development time. It also meant a longer time for updates if those admin tpl files were altered.

Also if you alter them there is a risk that mistakes can cause people loss of admin functions something not possible with the rest of the board.

This is a good move. :)
PHP_Paul

Post by PHP_Paul »

Does proSilver carry over to the ACP?
david63

Post by david63 »

According to the development of ProSilver it would appear that it does http://www.phpbb.com/development/prosilver/?page=2
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member

Post by Thatbitextra »

Look at the date on that - it's over 3 years old ;)
Styles KB

Return to “phpBB Discussion”