Windows vs. Linux

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Windows vs. Linux

Post by AdamR »

imac600 wrote: Windows however, and I don't intend this as offensive, some may prefer it, but Windows is fairly complex.

That is actually exactly why I like it. While it may take longer to learn than OS X, in my experiences it gives you much more power at your fingertips and is, in turn, less frustrating to use in the long run.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
imac600

Post by imac600 »

Indeed. If you spend the time to learn a system, then it can be quite effective. Windows does have a lot of power to change and modify.

OS X and Linux have a lot similar to Windows customisations, it just involves some time in the Terminal to do so.
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Striked wrote: Well I have no idea what's causing it. Are you using Photoshop CS3? It's that linux doesn't have registries and Services. I don't know about services but I think it support registries.
IIRC Photoshop >9 has never been run totally successfully under Linux.
iEcstacy

Post by iEcstacy »

I changed to Ubuntu Edgy a while back and it definitely is something to get used to.

The amount of programs open for download is nice, but the amount of add-ons needed for simple tasks achieved on WinXP really loads you down.

Gaming is largely effected because many of the MMOs I used to play are not compatible, but I try playing the Wine compatible games.

Oh, yes, and I used to be a major genius with Adobe Photoshop CS2, which doesn't work at all. Only up to PS7. T_T
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

I think I'm going to give CentOS 5 a go on my linux server. Looks like a rather nice distro :D
Quillz
Name: Joseph

Re:

Post by Quillz »

beatme101 wrote: Recently I installed Linux on a school computer. The school computer is a dual processor computer, I believe each runs at 1.5 GHz, and it has 256 MB of ram (although I used Virtual PC and could only give it 64 MB of ram). I installed Debian. It took all day. There was alot of things during installation that it didn't make sense to ask for, like whether or not it should try to detect a mouse. By the end of the day, after the third and final installation process, I was finally at the interface. It's very very slow and difficult to use. It is hard to find anything, the web browsers that come with it are terrible, and I couldn't figure out how to install Opera on it. It could only go up to 800*600 resolution, where as Windows could go up to 1280*1024.

I was looking forward to using Linux on my own computer some day, when Windows 2000 Professional's extended support period expires, but after this experience I am doubtful. ..At least I know I won't be using Debian.

Sounds to me like your problem was you're new to Linux and you tried Debian as your first distro. Debian is not a beginner distro... It's harder to setup, but what you get out of it is faster performance since you tailor the kernel to suit your hardware, and not the other way around. If you're new to Linux, I recommend you try Ubuntu or openSUSE, which are great distros aimed at beginners and the desktop. (But by no means do they limit you... They are easy to setup, but just as advanced as any other distro.)
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

Following your suggestions, I finally went and downloaded Ubuntu. I went into the installer, and something really neat happenned. I'll show you in a minute. Anyway, I spent the whole school day trying to figure it out to no success. However, it seems like a neat problem that I want to keep trying to get through. So, now, at home, since I now have lots of spare space for Virtual PC with my 400 GB hard drive, I downloaded Ubuntu to give it another shot. When I go into it and select "Start or install Ubuntu", it loads for a while and then brings me to this marvelous screen that certainly does look unique and nothing like Windows or Mac:
http://beatme101.com/images/ss/Virtual% ... ortion.jpg

Jokes aside, the cause seems to be that this Linux defaults to a very odd pixel depth that Virtual PC does not support: 24 bit. It truly doesn't make any sense. Not even all commercially available video cards on real computers (not emulated environments) support that pixel depth; Ubuntu is truly for very specific computers. Oh, also, the resolution is 1600 by 600. Yeah. Try to find a monitor and a video card that support that.

So I'm going to spend some time trying to figure this out. I've already found the cursor and the install icon. I wonder how far I can get through the installer.. This walkthrough I found on the internet should help.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

beatme101 wrote: Following your suggestions, I finally went and downloaded Ubuntu. I went into the installer, and something really neat happenned. I'll show you in a minute. Anyway, I spent the whole school day trying to figure it out to no success. However, it seems like a neat problem that I want to keep trying to get through. So, now, at home, since I now have lots of spare space for Virtual PC with my 400 GB hard drive, I downloaded Ubuntu to give it another shot. When I go into it and select "Start or install Ubuntu", it loads for a while and then brings me to this marvelous screen that certainly does look unique and nothing like Windows or Mac:
http://beatme101.com/images/ss/Virtual% ... ortion.jpg

Jokes aside, the cause seems to be that this Linux defaults to a very odd pixel depth that Virtual PC does not support: 24 bit. It truly doesn't make any sense. Not even all commercially available video cards on real computers (not emulated environments) support that pixel depth; Ubuntu is truly for very specific computers. Oh, also, the resolution is 1600 by 600. Yeah. Try to find a monitor and a video card that support that.

So I'm going to spend some time trying to figure this out. I've already found the cursor and the install icon. I wonder how far I can get through the installer.. This walkthrough I found on the internet should help.

Ubuntu did all that when I tried to run it in a virtual machine too.
Try actually booting to the disk and running it like that
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

who_cares wrote: Ubuntu did all that when I tried to run it in a virtual machine too.
Try actually booting to the disk and running it like that

Actually, amazing even to myself, I made it through the installation on Virtual PC. The operating system's defaults could definitely use some work, considering the colour depth. However I thought this even more so when I saw that it comes with Firefox, as I feared. Disappointing. Besides that, it seems like a pretty neat operating system, I'll have some fun exploring this.

I don't want to dual boot it because I don't want to shut down my server, and I don't want to have to tip toe around the option that erases all the data on my hard drive.

Anyway, screen shot: http://beatme101.com/images/ss/Ubuntu%20Desktop.jpg

Also, a thing I noticed about the setup is that you can't choose your time zone, you have to choose your city, and that also showed that the makers of the operating system are very very very biased against Canada. You can't choose any Canadian locations. How am I supposed to know what city is in my time zone? Now that I am in the operating system and have proper colours and can read the text completely, it's not telling me the time zone that the city I select is in. Can anybody tell me what city the obviously American and obviously biased creators of Ubuntu use to refer to the Eastern Time Zone? I'm liking Windows even more now.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

beatme101 wrote: However I thought this even more so when I saw that it comes with Firefox, as I feared. Disappointing.

that is kinda a normal thing on Linux, you can run IE, but it's not the default (I have IE6 here for testing)
beatme101 wrote: I don't want to dual boot it because I don't want to shut down my server, and I don't want to have to tip toe around the option that erases all the data on my hard drive.

Anyway, screen shot: http://beatme101.com/images/ss/Ubuntu%20Desktop.jpg

Congratulations. I can understand not wanting to erase your drive, but if you get a chance do install outside a virtual host. I find Ubuntu looks a lot nicer once you have a good swap partition and have plenty of ram to run a heavier display manager (I like Beryl)
beatme101 wrote: Also, a thing I noticed about the setup is that you can't choose your time zone, you have to choose your city, and that also showed that the makers of the operating system are very very very biased against Canada. You can't choose any Canadian locations. How am I supposed to know what city is in my time zone? Now that I am in the operating system and have proper colours and can read the text completely, it's not telling me the time zone that the city I select is in. Can anybody tell me what city the obviously American and obviously biased creators of Ubuntu use to refer to the Eastern Time Zone? I'm liking Windows even more now.

Well, the devs are sponsored by some South African company, so I don't think American bias would play in to it that much (They were missing Atlanta too)
I just used New York for EST
Yawner

Post by Yawner »

Finally finished reading the topic, what a lot of people here are forgetting is that OS's are designed for different purposes.

Macs in general these days are designed for the media types, people who want the Web 2.0 lifestyle of content on demand that just works. Music, Video etc. Apple claims it should just work and for the most part of the reviews I have read this seems to be true.

Windows, just works. No one can complain about its superb ability to do just that. It has a great way of persuading component makers to support their OS and I am sure that 85%+ of the people here wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Windows.

I am however an Ubuntu Linux user, I do not use it purely because it is free and as I cannot afford Windows more ethical then stealing it, I use it more for the development model of it. With it being community orientated you are the focus of the development and at the present time I like this. I can only request a feature and as long as I push it, build a community around it, I can have it included within 6-12 months. This model puts the user in the driving seat as they push where the project goes.

Thanks, Alex.
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

Return to “General Discussion”