My Opinion of this "Board"

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
MikeR

Re: My Opinion of this "Board"

Post by MikeR » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:12 am

I can honestly say that I have tested the site with people of that age group (over 2 dozen folks in that genre) that don’t even know how to select text, copy or paste... (I’m not joking)... I’m quite certain your users are more computer literate than that.

Not by much. :lol:
Sure they will have difficulty, but I found that with enough instruction or resources on where to find that instruction, an Admin to email if they have difficulty and PATIENCE it was quite possible for them to pick it up and they did fine... no complaints anymore.
I capitalized Patience because that was ALWAYS the biggest issue when showing those folks how to use the system.
As long as they had patience and were willing to learn how to use the system, they would pick it up no problem at all, but if they were stubborn or impatient, they were very nearly impossible to work with.

I think you nailed it here. My users don't have the patience to learn it. They did to a point, and even figured out how to change their gender, tho I had to tell them step by step.
Now, my newest forum, well....text links confused some of them. I can't imagine what they would do with the mcp. :D

For my part, I do have a test board setup. My regular "live" forum is phpBB2. If I can't learn it, I cant inform my users. I'll take my time, and learn all I can. I already know how to use the mcp becouse I had it setup on my phpBB2 board once upon a time, before my users begged me to remove it. The acp is taking some getting used to, but i'm learning.

Now, when I was talking about something not working, I was talking about: "admin panel/styles tab/themes/subsilver-edit/" (sheesh, too many links)
to edit the style from the acp. I changed every color there to purple. (just testing) and only half the colors in the template changed. In phpBB2, the whole board would have been purple. :D That's the only thing I was talking about that didn't work. I'm having to trudge thru code that I don't understand, change a color, upload, check, curse, change the color code back and try another just to do something that used to be as simple as changing text colors. I learned in a month how to do this very thing in the code for phpBB2. I'm going to have to learn php programming just to make this board look the way I want it. (or wait for someone to make a template that's close and attempt to change it)

For the record, for every 1 thing I don't like about phpBB3, there are probably 10 things I do like. I just think they could have simplified things instead of over complicating things. (if I were a php/css programmer, this would all be simple. I'm not tho.)

I'll definately be using v3 for my gamer board, as that is where it is suited. For my other 2, I'll just stick with v2.
I didn't mean to stir a conflict here. Just wanted to air my disapointment.
Oh, and for the record, I've looked at those so-called "Pay for me" boards. No thanks. Everyone I've looked at, (a grand whopping total of 3) have made me retch. I'll stick with phpBB. It's the best bar none.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:46 am

AdamR wrote:
david63 wrote:
Can we now get back to some constructive discussion of phpbb3 please.

...this is exactly what I'm trying to get out of him. He has made the statement that phpBB is coded and run unprofessionally. If he provide evidence and support for this statement, we could discuss it. :P

- Adam
In my experience anyone who has such unsubstantiated and biased views will never have a constructive discussion and I am sure there are other ways that the "team" can pursue this if they wanted to.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

david63

Post by david63 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 pm

AdamR wrote: The average age of the phpBB Team Members is 24.
This is worrying 8O - I have just realised that i am eligible to be the average team member's granddad 8) 8) 8)
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

iEcstacy

Post by iEcstacy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:18 pm

I'm amazed that you mentioned thee wasn't a Calendar system. I hadn't noticed! I don't use it, but most forum software do.

If you really want it though, just add it as a mod or something.

just.xTc

Post by just.xTc » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:59 pm

I have yet to see a board actually use the calendar system.

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:57 am

just.xTc wrote: I have yet to see a board actually use the calendar system.

One phpBB based site I programmed uses a calendar system, However, 99% of the boards I frequent (not exclusively phpBB, but mostly) do not use it as it would server no purpose.

What I am trying to say is that I agree with you that phpBB3 should not have a calendar, but calendars are useful for certain situations.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:20 am

AdamR wrote:
88jens88 wrote: Most of the would - be phpBB experts have not - or just - reached aged 18. But for that they work okay.

The average age of the phpBB Team Members is 24.

- Adam

To expand on this, as of this post:

Code: Select all

Average Team member age:	24.68935
Averages across teams:	
Support	                 21.45927
Styles	                  23.62035
Mods	                    23.44198
Developers	              25.33242
Moderators	              29.83358
Project Managers	        28.70773

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 am

MikeR wrote: Not by much. :lol:
HAHA!! And they are Moderators? 8O
Well great! Maybe I can give you some tips then. :P
MikeR wrote: I think you nailed it here. My users don't have the patience to learn it. They did to a point, and even figured out how to change their gender, tho I had to tell them step by step.
Now, my newest forum, well....text links confused some of them. I can't imagine what they would do with the mcp. :D
Heh... and I had to teach the people I worked with not only the MCP, but the ACP as well... I promised my Mom that I would NEVER again complain about her computer skills after trying to teach those people...
At least she can build some darn good looking websites for a non-Developer, computer-challenged person!! haha!
I did have to walk those folks through it about half a dozen times, step-by-step.
Then wrote a detailed tutorial, since I knew they were going to forget the next day.
MikeR wrote: For my part, I do have a test board setup. My regular "live" forum is phpBB2. If I can't learn it, I cant inform my users. I'll take my time, and learn all I can. I already know how to use the mcp becouse I had it setup on my phpBB2 board once upon a time, before my users begged me to remove it. The acp is taking some getting used to, but i'm learning.
That’s good... again, as long as YOU know how to do it and feel comfortable with it, you’ll be able to give them confidence. :D
MikeR wrote: Now, when I was talking about something not working, I was talking about: "admin panel/styles tab/themes/subsilver-edit/" (sheesh, too many links)
to edit the style from the acp. I changed every color there to purple. (just testing) and only half the colors in the template changed. In phpBB2, the whole board would have been purple. :D That's the only thing I was talking about that didn't work. I'm having to trudge thru code that I don't understand, change a color, upload, check, curse, change the color code back and try another just to do something that used to be as simple as changing text colors. I learned in a month how to do this very thing in the code for phpBB2. I'm going to have to learn php programming just to make this board look the way I want it. (or wait for someone to make a template that's close and attempt to change it)
Okay, for the record, it does not take a PHP programmer to change the look of the forum.
I know a very good programmer who can’t make anything with CSS to save his life.
All you need to do is understand CSS, that’s it... it’s a little different animal now with phpBB3 because now, unlike phpBB2. CSS controls the look of everything in version 3. So there is a lot more there to deal with.
This is even truer with prosilver, whereas subSilver has about a fifth of the CSS that prosilver has.
Even though that panel is there, I still prefer to access the stylesheet directly to make my changes.
Now, I have not tried anything as dramatic as to change the entire forum to purple, but it can be done.
But not EVERYTHING will be purple because you still have a lot of images that are not going to change color by themselves.
I’m talking about the cat image, the table headers, and the header background.
MikeR wrote: For the record, for every 1 thing I don't like about phpBB3, there are probably 10 things I do like. I just think they could have simplified things instead of over complicating things. (if I were a php/css programmer, this would all be simple. I'm not tho.)
Well, one thing is for sure, the CSS part of it still is meant to be altered by someone who does know what they are doing. :P
MikeR wrote: I'll definately be using v3 for my gamer board, as that is where it is suited. For my other 2, I'll just stick with v2.
That’s probably a good idea, and who knows... maybe a few years down the road, they will be ready for the upgrade. ;)
MikeR wrote: I didn't mean to stir a conflict here. Just wanted to air my disapointment.
Oh, and for the record, I've looked at those so-called "Pay for me" boards. No thanks. Everyone I've looked at, (a grand whopping total of 3) have made me retch. I'll stick with phpBB. It's the best bar none.
There are only a grand whopping total of 3 good paid boards anyways.
And no worries, there is not enough of a conflict that the Moderators locked the topic. :P

Watch them lock the topic now. :lol:
david63 wrote: This is worrying 8O - I have just realised that i am eligible to be the average team member's granddad 8) 8) 8)
You just dated yourself. :P
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

88jens88
I've Been Banned!

Post by 88jens88 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:42 pm

18, 24 ... one can argue about that or that's a debatable point..

But I noticed that the whole team of phpBB is put together out of males only. No females?? Well, that lets me think :razz:

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:53 pm

88jens88 wrote: But I noticed that the whole team of phpBB is put together out of males only. No females?? Well, that lets me think :razz:
What about it? :?
About the only female programmer I know is Gamall (Ida), but she is more C+ than PHP AFAIK.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 pm

88jens88 wrote: But I noticed that the whole team of phpBB is put together out of males only. No females?? Well, that lets me think :razz:

What do you think about? And.. are you assuming what/where/who?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

david63

Post by david63 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:30 pm

Quite honestly I could not care less as to the age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic origin or anything else of the development team just let them get on with what they are doing - it does not matter one bit.
David

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:01 pm

88jens88 wrote: 18, 24 ... one can argue about that or that's a debatable point..

But I noticed that the whole team of phpBB is put together out of males only. No females?? Well, that lets me think :razz:

Evidently you were not looking hard enough. There's two; I'm one.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Good points Highway of Life.
Btw, I was changing 1 color at a time until I got to the end of the file looking for all the text colors. I found the table and background colors right off the bat. I may have to look in places other than the css file.
I don't know css at all. Basic (and I mean very basic) html, but css...well....I can find the numbers for the colors. :D
The mcp I know how to use, but will never be comfortable with it.
The acp...well, I'm learning it, but don't think I'll ever be comfortable with it eather.

Here's a screenshot of my phpBB2 forum (with urls and such blanked out) so you can see what I've been attempting to do.
I'll get it eventually. It's just not as easy as it used to be. I made that color sceme in an hour. (already had the images) by changing the colors in the css. I even tried looking between the 2 css files to figure it out, but they've changed too many things.
Some day I'll figure it out.

Edit to add: I'm beginning to get it. It's going to take some time. :) but at least I'm getting somewhere.

88jens88
I've Been Banned!

Post by 88jens88 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:48 pm

NeoThermic wrote: Evidently you were not looking hard enough. There's two; I'm one.

NeoThermic

damnn..now I give up ;-)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”