Prosilver style: first impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Synaptic Anarchy
I've Been Banned!

Re: Prosilver style: first impressions

Post by Synaptic Anarchy »

*coughs* I repeat, it's fine now. It wasn't earlier. Whatever the problem was, it appears to have been fixed already.
Tamar

Post by Tamar »

As a web designer that has specialized in phpBB skins for awhile now, i have to give 2 thumbs up, five stars, and a standing applause for the new design.

Number 1: No tables! *throws confetti and drops baloons from above* - This is going to make it a trillion times simpler to make new designs.

number 2: Rollover effects on all the links. This is such a crucial part when it comes to aesthetics and easy navigation. It takes alot of special coding, especially when IE hasn't been stoned to death yet.

number 3: important info on left, secondary info on right. Sometimes a left sidebar is good, but I like the way this opens the space up.

number 4: the design is just plain good. SO much better than ole subSilver!

number 5: Plenty of whitespace. Instead of everything being put into a predictable table format, it's sectioned off with plenty of spacing between. you can tell a real professional designed it, not some kid that's copying something he liked from 10 years ago.

Drawbacks: I would like to see the folder icons have their normal explanation at the bottom of the viewforum page still.

Comments to those you don't like the design: This is an example of true modern design. It touches on the popular web 2.0 style, yet keeps depth and realism. This is what a website is supposed to look like. This, along with great new programming, is what is going to bring phpBB back up in popularity among tech geeks and critics. Kudos to the designer, you deserve a big gold star! :P And a good paycheck.
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

Tamar wrote: Kudos to the designer, you deserve a big gold star! :P And a good paycheck.

He's covered. ;) Good post though, nicely goes over all the pros of the new style.
Mithrus

Post by Mithrus »

I see a good many people have shown as slight dislike for the move of the user information from the left to the right. In my opinion, this is much better as it allows for the most important part of the forum to pop out -- the content!

It's the first thing you should see. I know that often times people will completely change their opinion about something if they see the person or brand behind it. You see this is clothing, electronics, software, and even statements by people. Who is saying what is really secondary in importance, just as long as the message is received.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Mithrus wrote: I see a good many people have shown as slight dislike for the move of the user information from the left to the right. In my opinion, this is much better as it allows for the most important part of the forum to pop out -- the content!

It's the first thing you should see. I know that often times people will completely change their opinion about something if they see the person or brand behind it. You see this is clothing, electronics, software, and even statements by people. Who is saying what is really secondary in importance, just as long as the message is received.
Well, I suppose it depends on the forum.
Sure for a LOT of forums out there content is better.
But there are also many forums out there where the people are more important than the content.
This is the case on our board, however... I like the idea of the info being on the left, so when we get prosilver, we’ll give our users the option of either side. :D
guitarnoise

Post by guitarnoise »

As a long time phpbb2 user I want to drop in and say I really like the new style. I look forward to the opportunity to using it on my site. It seems like a lot of people have voiced their disapproval. I've noticed over the years that modifications to my boards styles have always met with some resentment and resistance. One of my users summed it up best, "we fear change!"
itsallgood

Post by itsallgood »

Wow, This does look great :lol: Very modern, very "Web 2.0" lol

Two things i dont like;

1. The seperation between users post, and users sig. (a darker line would be great)

2. The users info on the right of the screen. -- it goes against the english way of reading.

We read "Left to Right" Having the boxes on the right is just differnt for the sake of it.

When you read a "play", you have somthing like:

Person 1: "hello"
Person 2: "Hello back!"
Person 1: "Thanks"

A forum post is a conversation, Knowing who is saying what is very important before you read the "Main content" -- Basicly you HAVE to read who is saying it first. --- It lets you get the "voice" into your head, of who is saying what, and what that person sounds like. Some users, i know stright away, whatever they say is a joke/sarcastic. When i see their name, i know it.

I'm sure it wont be long before a mod comes out to move the box back where it should be.

Apart from that, i love this design, well done everyone involved!
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

itsallgood wrote: We read "Left to Right" Having the boxes on the right is just differnt for the sake of it.

Well, no, that's exactly the point. The info is moved to the right, so emphasis is taken away from it. If you think about it, do you really need to read where someone lives, what their rank is and how many posts they made every time they post something? Your answer may be yes, or you might say, no, but I would like to see their name and their avatar first, but it's definately not just "for the sake of it".
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Well, no, that's exactly the point. The info is moved to the right, so emphasis is taken away from it.

Sorry, it's part of what I'm used to. I'll be moving it to the left as soon as a mod comes out. I don't like how it looks. It's a matter of preference.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Sure. I'm not sure I'll use this for my own site either, but I think it's an interesting idea. I just feel that it's not fair to say that it was moved "for the sake of it".
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

One complaint I have which isn't a huge complaint is that the online image position for both viewtopic and the memberlist are controlled by the same class(?). They should be different in order to allowed better control.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

bonelifer wrote: One complaint I have which isn't a huge complaint is that the online image position for both viewtopic and the memberlist are controlled by the same class(?). They should be different in order to allowed better control.

Your CSS kung-fu is weak. Both online images can be selected via:

Code: Select all

div.post.online {
foo: bar;
}
... with the view profile one uniquely selectable via:

Code: Select all

form#viewprofile div.post.online {
foo: bar;
}
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Ah yes oh great SHS` it's true CSS isn't my strong suit. Thanks for the info I shall learn much from the small nuggets of CSS info you have provided. :D
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
willtaylor

Post by willtaylor »

I have to say, I like the new layout. It's definitely different and shows a kind of smooth simplicity that I like. I don't mind the User info and the Avatar on the right. It takes some getting used to, but this way, you're concentrating more on the words of the discussion more so than the person who wrote it.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Just been seeing the final prosilver style in CVS... and I LOVE IT

It's fantastic... much cleaner. The site I am upgrading is primarily blue with a rounded header... it's perfect for the job!
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

Return to “phpBB Discussion”