[01/12/06] Spam Words

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
13%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 68

MichaelM2007

Re: [01/12/06] Spam Words

Post by MichaelM2007 »

Hey Joe! Fantastic mod! This mod was one of the reasons I switched to phpBB. I can't think of a better way to stop spam. Great work. :D

I've installed it, and it's working perfectly, but I was wondering if there is a way to increase the size of the error messages? And possibly to show their message as well on the error page? (So that they can copy and paste it into a new reply, and edit out the swear words)

The users of my forum are mostly very inexperienced with the internet, and the first time some of them received the error, they were completely lost. xD
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

MichaelM2007 wrote: I was wondering if there is a way to increase the size of the error messages?
Yes, run this query in phpMyAdmin or whatever database tool you use:

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `phpbb_spam_words_config` CHANGE `config_value` `config_value` TEXT NOT NULL;
As for echo'ing the error message, this is also possible but more of a comprehensive hack as lots would have to be re-written (due to bbcode and smilies parsing...)
MichaelM2007

Post by MichaelM2007 »

Thanks for the reply.

The increased error message size worked perfectly, and it will do grand. Thanks. :)
kuve

Post by kuve »

Hello, i have installed this mod but i don't know how can i add new words to the filter. i do this:

1.- Go to the administration panel
2.- i click on Manage Words
3.- Then i click on add new word
4.- It show me this:
Spam words log

This is the spam words log. It contains a record of all offenses committed. Some posts may have been deleted or edited in the meantime.

But nothing to add words, what can i do?
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

You click on Add New Word and you get the log...? 8O
Notre

Post by Notre »

The download link is not working for me... It says it's like missing from the database? Anyone know why?
mmantei

Special characters

Post by mmantei »

I've been having problems lately with messages that contain almost entirely special characters. When you look at the post it appears with text like this:

Ñàéò îáíîâëÿåòñÿ êàæäûé ÷àñ è íàïîëíÿåòñÿ òîëüêî ñàìûìè îòáîðíûìè

My forum is entirely in English and I can see no reason to allow posts with any of these special characters in them. I've tried adding some of the characters into the SPAMWORDS database by entering them like this *Ñ* but the posts are still allowed. Is there any way to block these posts?

Thanks,
M
noth

Post by noth »

spammers are now flooding 'Occupation' and 'Interests' with http:// web addresses :evil: and this mod cannot fight that :cry:
Billy2423
Name: Bill Withers

Post by Billy2423 »

censorblock-110a checks those fields
helmut

Post by helmut »

If posting fails due to a spam word in the signature, the user sees an error message, but no log entry is made. Admins should be aware of this lacuna in the spam word logging.

I think it would make sense if postings blocked due to signature were logged, too. Code might look like this:

if (preg_match('#\b(' . str_replace('\*', '\w*?', phpbb_preg_quote($row['spam_word'], '#')) . ')\b#i', $userdata['user_sig']))
{
        $msg = "<span style=\"color: red; font-weight: bold\">(Signature) </span>" . $userdata['user_sig'] . " | " . $message;
        update_log($subject, $msg);

$msg = sprintf($spam_config['error_message_sig'], $row['spam_word']);
        message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $msg);
}
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

noth wrote: spammers are now flooding 'Occupation' and 'Interests' with http:// web addresses :evil: and this mod cannot fight that :cry:
This MOD can be extended to check those fields. I think I hacked something together for someone back some 20 or so pages.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Joe Belmaati wrote:
noth wrote: spammers are now flooding 'Occupation' and 'Interests' with http:// web addresses :evil: and this mod cannot fight that :cry:
This MOD can be extended to check those fields. I think I hacked something together for someone back some 20 or so pages.

Perhaps it's not 20 pages back but in my inbox: A while back you have sent me some code for preventing spam users from registering to the forum. I've applied this patch just two days ago and have little experience with it, but I guess it works well. Sure enough I have modified the error message shown if spam was detected. And logging is missing, so there's no feedback/control for the administrator. The good thing is that one spam word list must be administered, only.

Note:
Spam users often use specific mail domains, e.g. *@shalua.info which can be filtered by the normal ban filter, see ACP > User Admin > Ban Control > Ban one or more email addresses.

The mail:

Joe Belmaati wrote:
... this checks all userfields for urls and spamwords. If found an error message is thrown. ...

OPEN

includes/usercp_register

FIND

$error = FALSE;
$error_msg = '';
BEFORE, ADD

function spamcheck($param)
{
	global $db;

if(@strpos(strtolower($param), '[url') !== false)
	{
		message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'No url allowed');
	}

$sql = "SELECT * FROM " . SPAM_WORDS_TABLE;
	if (!($result = $db->sql_query($sql)))
	{
		message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not get spam words from database', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
	}

$param = preg_replace("#\[.{12,16}\]#i", '', $param);
	$param = preg_replace('/\[url\]|\[\/url\]/si', '', $param);
	$param = preg_replace('#\[url=|\]|\[/url\]#si', '', $param);

if ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
	{
		do
		{
			if (preg_match('#\b(' . str_replace('\*', '\w*?', phpbb_preg_quote($row['spam_word'], '#')) . ')\b#i', $param))
			{
				message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Not allowed');
			}
		}
		while ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result));
	}

}
FIND

//
// Did the user submit? In this case build a query to update the users profile in the DB
//
BEFORE, ADD

if($mode == 'register')
{
	$check_fields = array($username, $email, $icq, $aim, $msn, $yim, $website, $location, $occupation, $interests, $signature);
	array_map('spamcheck', $check_fields);
}
amanjsingh

Post by amanjsingh »

I have a lot of Spam already. I was wondering if there is a SQL query that could help me to remove those already present spam messages using these newly defined spam words using your MOD. Please help.

Thanks
AJ
Nothing is easy

Post by Nothing is easy »

helmut wrote:
Joe Belmaati wrote:

Perhaps it's not 20 pages back but in my inbox: A while back you have sent me some code for preventing spam users from registering to the forum. I've applied this patch just two days ago and have little experience with it, but I guess it works well. Sure enough I have modified the error message shown if spam was detected. And logging is missing, so there's no feedback/control for the administrator. The good thing is that one spam word list must be administered, only.

Note:
Spam users often use specific mail domains, e.g. *@shalua.info which can be filtered by the normal ban filter, see ACP > User Admin > Ban Control > Ban one or more email addresses.

The mail:

Joe Belmaati wrote:
... this checks all userfields for urls and spamwords. If found an error message is thrown. ...

OPEN

includes/usercp_register

FIND

$error = FALSE;
$error_msg = '';
BEFORE, ADD

function spamcheck($param)
{
	global $db;

if(@strpos(strtolower($param), '[url') !== false)
	{
		message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'No url allowed');
	}

$sql = "SELECT * FROM " . SPAM_WORDS_TABLE;
	if (!($result = $db->sql_query($sql)))
	{
		message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not get spam words from database', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
	}

$param = preg_replace("#\[.{12,16}\]#i", '', $param);
	$param = preg_replace('/\[url\]|\[\/url\]/si', '', $param);
	$param = preg_replace('#\[url=|\]|\[/url\]#si', '', $param);

if ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
	{
		do
		{
			if (preg_match('#\b(' . str_replace('\*', '\w*?', phpbb_preg_quote($row['spam_word'], '#')) . ')\b#i', $param))
			{
				message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Not allowed');
			}
		}
		while ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result));
	}

}
FIND

//
// Did the user submit? In this case build a query to update the users profile in the DB
//
BEFORE, ADD

if($mode == 'register')
{
	$check_fields = array($username, $email, $icq, $aim, $msn, $yim, $website, $location, $occupation, $interests, $signature);
	array_map('spamcheck', $check_fields);
}

Hi Joe.
Quite some time agao I added the code for checking registration details and it has been fantastic. However, for a future version would you please consider a couple of enhancements.

1) An absolute ideal would be for an option when adding a word to the word list that allows you to choose if the word should be evaluated in a) Registration Details and b) Posting details.

A typical example is that some spammers register with Google as their web address (why I really don't know) but it would be great to ban that (and certain others) in registration but not in posting.

2) A log file of those prevented would be great too - especially including the email address they tried to use.

Finally I am still on an old version of Spam Words which was installed using Easymod. What is my easiest way to upgrade to the latest version?
coulsontom

Post by coulsontom »

i get this error message on the configuration page:

phpBB : Critical Error 

Could not query config information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'lukeclar_phpb1.SPAM_WORDS_CONFIG_TABLE' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM SPAM_WORDS_CONFIG_TABLE

Line : 44
File : admin_spamwords_config.php