Could not get style data

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
alegis gensan

Could not get style data

Post by alegis gensan »

installation went clean, with only 1 minor error
Error :: BLOB/TEXT column 'username_clean' used in key specification without a key length
SQL :: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX username_clean ON phpbb3_users(username_clean)
However, all pages become inaccessible because of

"Could not get style data" error. I tried reuploading all files.

Any tips?
alegis gensan

Re: Could not get style data

Post by alegis gensan »

Might as well say that this was a conversion from phpBB 3.x BETA 5, by using update_database.php

I'm well aware updates aren't supported, however this seems more like a General installation error. I'm assuming updating went wrong in selecting one of the 2 new themes. Renaming the old one to the new one didn't help either.
raul2010

Post by raul2010 »

I donwloaded phpBB 3RC1 today and I'm getting this "Could not get style data" error both in a phpBB 3b5 upgrade and a fresh install. Could this be related to the name change in the styles that came with this version?
Retro King

Post by Retro King »

I have carried out a fresh install and have the same problem. Went through the entire install process no problem, then give me the option of converting or going live with forum, when i clicked proceed i get the message 'General Error' could not get style data.

I created a new DB and tried a new install and get the same problem again
alegis gensan

Post by alegis gensan »

Try cleaning your /cache/ folder. I wiped my database now, but it seems to cause the error when old cache files are still there.
alegis gensan

Post by alegis gensan »

Got my Beta 5 DB working now. For everyone, this is what I did.

Do a clean install (put the blank config.php in your root folder, and clear /cache/) on another prefix (phpbb3_)
Assume your old database is on phpbb_, new one on phpbb3_

Simply keep removing the tables you wish replaced in phpbb3_ (Users, forums, posts etc). Then run for each one of those deleted

rename table phpbb_posts to phpbb3_posts;

and so on. Get your old board start date in board settings, and resynchronise the statistics.
Pingspike

Post by Pingspike »

I'm getting the same error.

Installed RC1 today and all I'm getting is the "Could not get style data" General error.
|| phpBB3 Style [ BlackDiamond ] Download :: Official Thread ||
|| EurekaPC.Net :: Creators Website ||
MadMardigan

Post by MadMardigan »

Do what alegis gensan wrote, it works. You can use the code to be more specific about what to change (note that phpbb3_ was my old db, phpbbrc1_ is my new db, just change the prefixes to whatever you want).

1.) Install a fresh copy (including the config.php).
2.) Run the installation script (not the db update script, also, chose a different name for your db tables [from phpbb_ to phpbb3_ works).
3.) Delete the tables listed below in the code section of the new db tables you created (you need access from your ISP to do this, usually on some phpmyadmin panel they have set up).
4.) Copy/paste the code below to run the SQL queries, if you did it right, it should rename the old db tables to the new db tables.

Code: Select all

rename table phpbb3_forums to phpbbrc1_forums;
rename table phpbb3_forums_access to phpbbrc1_forums_access;
rename table phpbb3_groups to phpbbrc1_groups;
rename table phpbb3_posts to phpbbrc1_posts;
rename table phpbb3_ranks to phpbbrc1_ranks;
rename table phpbb3_topics to phpbbrc1_topics;
rename table phpbb3_topics_posted to phpbbrc1_topics_posted;
rename table phpbb3_users to phpbbrc1_users;
rename table phpbb3_user_group to phpbbrc1_user_group;
rename table phpbb3_acl_groups to phpbbrc1_acl_groups;
rename table phpbb3_acl_options to phpbbrc1_acl_options;
rename table phpbb3_acl_roles to phpbbrc1_acl_roles;
rename table phpbb3_acl_roles_data to phpbbrc1_acl_roles_data;
rename table phpbb3_acl_users to phpbbrc1_acl_users;
Those should put everything back to normal, you will still have to reconfigure your board settings however and clear the cache manually (IE, get into FTP and delete everything except .htaccess and index.php from the phpbb3/cache folder).
TheBang

Post by TheBang »

My experience with the "Could not get style data" error after updating from 3.0B to RC1 was that there is apparently a bug in the database_update.php script that leaves the "phpbb_styles_template" and "phpbb_styles_theme" tables in the database empty.

If you perform the following SQL inserts, it will populate those tables, and you will be able to use your forum again. You may also need to clear out your "/cache" directory in order to see that it's worked.

INSERT INTO phpbb_styles_template (template_name, template_copyright, template_path, bbcode_bitfield, template_storedb) VALUES ('prosilver', '© phpBB Group', 'prosilver', 'lNg=', 0);
INSERT INTO phpbb_styles_theme (theme_name, theme_copyright, theme_path, theme_storedb, theme_data) VALUES ('prosilver', '© phpBB Group', 'prosilver', 1, '');
INSERT INTO phpbb_styles_template (template_name, template_copyright, template_path, bbcode_bitfield, template_storedb) VALUES ('subsilver2', '© phpBB Group', 'subsilver2', 'lNg=', 0);
INSERT INTO phpbb_styles_theme (theme_name, theme_copyright, theme_path, theme_storedb, theme_data) VALUES ('subsilver2', '© phpBB Group', 'subsilver2', 1, '');
singemfrc

Post by singemfrc »

MadMardigan wrote:Do what alegis gensan wrote, it works. You can use the code to be more specific about what to change (note that phpbb3_ was my old db, phpbbrc1_ is my new db, just change the prefixes to whatever you want).

1.) Install a fresh copy (including the config.php).
2.) Run the installation script (not the db update script, also, chose a different name for your db tables [from phpbb_ to phpbb3_ works).
3.) Delete the tables listed below in the code section of the new db tables you created (you need access from your ISP to do this, usually on some phpmyadmin panel they have set up).
4.) Copy/paste the code below to run the SQL queries, if you did it right, it should rename the old db tables to the new db tables.

rename table phpbb3_forums to phpbbrc1_forums;
rename table phpbb3_forums_access to phpbbrc1_forums_access;
rename table phpbb3_groups to phpbbrc1_groups;
rename table phpbb3_posts to phpbbrc1_posts;
rename table phpbb3_ranks to phpbbrc1_ranks;
rename table phpbb3_topics to phpbbrc1_topics;
rename table phpbb3_topics_posted to phpbbrc1_topics_posted;
rename table phpbb3_users to phpbbrc1_users;
rename table phpbb3_user_group to phpbbrc1_user_group;
rename table phpbb3_acl_groups to phpbbrc1_acl_groups;
rename table phpbb3_acl_options to phpbbrc1_acl_options;
rename table phpbb3_acl_roles to phpbbrc1_acl_roles;
rename table phpbb3_acl_roles_data to phpbbrc1_acl_roles_data;
rename table phpbb3_acl_users to phpbbrc1_acl_users;
Those should put everything back to normal, you will still have to reconfigure your board settings however and clear the cache manually (IE, get into FTP and delete everything except .htaccess and index.php from the phpbb3/cache folder).
Thanks, that worked perfectly for me. Additionally you can add the private message tables to that list if you want to keep those. Seemed to work fine for me.
Genocaust

Post by Genocaust »

singemfrc wrote:Thanks, that worked perfectly for me. Additionally you can add the private message tables to that list if you want to keep those. Seemed to work fine for me.
I also just hit the exact same error after a clean RC1 install. These directions got everything back together for me.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

Yeah for some reason i got the error in the beginning, but i fiddled with some things and i got to the point where it said "convert or go live?" and i said "well let's hit convert and see what happens"

Works for me now... which is weird because there wasn't a different phpBB installation there, so i have no idea how that would have worked but whatever, code does that sometimes.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers
Psiphere

Post by Psiphere »

I just wanted to add that I also had this same problem on BOTH and completely fresh install AND an attempt to upgrade from B5. Inserting the SQL code into the theme tables seems to fix this "could not get style data" problem in both instances. Thanks very much for that.

To upgrade from an unmodified B5

I just ran my database_upgrade script first, ran the 4 lines of sql code up above, wiped out me entire directory except for config.php and re-uploaded all files from RC1 fresh (if you don't do this make sure to clear your cache folder). Set your cache, files, store & images/avatars/upload all to writable again and voila. Upgrade from B5 seems to be as simple as that. But realize that if you mess up, upgrading from any 3.0 beta is completely unsupported here.

This thread helped me on a fresh install too, why this happened to me (and others above) on a fresh install to a completely new directory & new / empty, fresh database as well... I have no clue.
urbanistic

Post by urbanistic »

The conversion from beta5 to RC1 went without issue for me utilizing this procedure...

1. Backed up everything: sql, board, and files in forum directory.

2. Wiped out the files on the domain in the forum directory.

3. Uploaded phpbb3 RC1 to forum directory.

4. Installed phpbb3 RC1 as a new install:
- Used same database that beta5 was installed in..
- Used phpbb3_ as table prefix for RC 1

5. Used advice to rename tables. I had to rename a lot of them, but this is dependent on what you want to restore from your beta5 database.

mySQL query example...

rename table phpbb_table_name to phpbb3_table_name;

6. Relocated attachments from backup of forum directory to ../forums/files/ to restore post attachements.

7. Working on restoring my old mods to new new skins.

Easy stuff!!

But, I couldnt get the avatars to reattach to users. Anyone have a clue on that?

Also... adressing the style data issue:

Everytime I came across that, the flush cache option from the ACP remedied it. You can avoid having that error pop up by clearing your cache. In FTP, navigate to the ../forums/cache and delete all but index.htm and htaccess.

If you back up your forum files and wipe the directory, it isnt an issue.
alegis gensan

Post by alegis gensan »

I've also had the avatars disappear after converting from beta to RC1 and earlier when I had a DB crash and reset settings/post - I have no idea where they are stored.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”