.22 to RC1 with Simple Subforums

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Ideas Centre
capncanada

.22 to RC1 with Simple Subforums

Post by capncanada » Wed May 23, 2007 5:53 am

Has anyone attempted this? WIll it screw up?

I Have got subforums with a lot of posts in them. I don't want the converter skipping those posts.

Thanks for any Help.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: .22 to RC1 with Simple Subforums

Post by karlsemple » Wed May 23, 2007 5:59 am

In theory it should not skip the data in the subforums although I suspect it will treat the forums as normal forums and as such when the phpBB3 forum is converted they will not be under their parents :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed May 23, 2007 10:31 am

I did a forum with it a couple of days ago. It just took the subforums and made them into forums in their own right. I just then had to re-assign them in phpBB3 as subforums.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

aalishan

Post by aalishan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 am

In my case, I lost the sub forums and there are no post in the parents post either . I went in phpmyadmin and saw that the post and topic are migrated but are not associated to any forums .
Anyone out there who can help me to resolove this ?
Thanks
Aali

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Another option is to see if you can move all the subforum posts to another new main forum first.

Usually if you want to delete a forum it gives you the option to move all the posts elsewhere first (if i remember rightly).
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

aalishan

Post by aalishan » Wed May 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Thanks Kevin, But taking that route will invalid forum links . I mean if we create new forum than the forum id will be next in sequence and any links on the website pointing to particular forum will be invalidated.
Anybody else facing similar issue ?

deathsquad9

Post by deathsquad9 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 am

Then change the forumid's via phpmyadmin back to their originals after upgrade?

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie » Mon May 28, 2007 7:33 am

I'm not sure about the Simple Subforums mod, but I upgraded from a Categories Hierarchy modded board. You'll need to use phpmyadmin first to ensure that each forum is assigned to a Category. Alternately, you could also un-nest all of your subforums into regular forums from the ACP in phpBB2. The main problem with CH is that it removes the use of category and makes all into forums, so editing the database is a necessary step. Before conversion, I'd suggest installing a vanilla phpBB2.0.22 unmodded to make sure it works properly. It might be extra steps, but it might be worth the trouble.

After upgrade you should edit each forum in the ACP to re-nest them back to the way you want them.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

oddfish

Post by oddfish » Wed May 30, 2007 5:41 am

138 subforums (simple subforums with 38 MODS) converts OK but do have to recreate the subforum structure - the subs stayed within the correct categories and we did not allow posting in the parent forums.

some forums were visible to reg users and above after the conversion so before going live with bb3, it may be up to a 24 hr "new posts will be lost" scenario on existing bb2 to set all the permissions correctly as well.
Country Flag User Edition Clickable Post Count Link

... another record broken without breaking any records ...
Testing phpBB3.1 dark style based on prosilver ... http://www.oddmods.net

Amezis

Post by Amezis » Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 pm

I converted using another subforum mod. Some of the forums were placed correctly in their category, but many got completely messed up. The solution was simple: move the forums into the correct categories manually after the conversion was completed ;)
Amezis

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”