When the user is registering on your forum, my mod checks a number of things using AJAX (quickly, silently & discretely, without reloading the page). After a check, a short message is shown to the user with the result. It is a very quick check and doesn't inhibit the filling in of the form in any way, the user can just do it normally. They do not need to wait until the check is finished (which takes a faction of a second anyway) before the continue with the form.
It checks the following so far:
- Checks if the username is available or has already been taken.
- Checks that the username abides by all of phpBB's rules, such as no illegal characters, correct length, etc.
- Checks that the first passwords entered is not too long or short.
- Check how "strong" the first passwords entered is. Based on a number of factors including: length, lower-case letters, upper-case letters, digits, special characters, etc.
- Checks that the two passwords entered are the same.
- Checks if the first email address is in the correct format.
- Checks if the first email address for for a valid domain with a MX record.
- Checks that the two email addresses entered are the same.
AJAX Registration Checks Version 0.1.2
Temporary Demo Board
Note: This board has a number of other mods installed and is my testing place, the this is the only mod which affects the registration process (at the moment, anyway).
The standard registration form before any info has been entered is just like before the MOD:
When you enter a username that has already been entered a quick loading message is shown (for a fraction of a second and I didn't manage to screenshot it!) and then this is displayed:
When a new username is entered and it has not been registered before this message is shown:
I can't be bothered right now to make screenshot for all the different messages, but you should get the idea and if you don't then visit the test board or install it yourself.
- The actual MOD was does 100% by me with, unfortunately, no input from anyone else.
- The "checking" icon was made using this site: http://www.ajaxload.info
- The "password strenght" icons were made by me.
- All the other icons are from this wonderful icon pack: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/
- And http://www.viovet.co.uk for being my only source of income and pay for the feeding of me during the production of this MOD.
What are your thoughts? Is there anything else that you would like it to be able to do checks on?
If you install it, please post here so that I know roughly how many people have installed it