[DEV] Inter Board PM

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
christhatsme

[DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:44 pm

MOD Title: Inter Board PM
MOD Description: Allow users from one board to send PMs to a user on another board (any board with this MOD installed)
Co Author (Server): iWisdom

This works somewhat like email with a syntax of user@board.com/phpbb2 (obviously not identical!)

At the moment we are working on the API between server and client.

The server is a spam server, every board using the MOD must register, and when a message is sent to your board, the sending board will be run past our server to make sure its not a known spam address. The server also acts much like an email server would. Messages are held until they are called up by the recipient, if we find a spammer (queueing messages makes this a lot easier) then the messages are held and will not be delivered, taking any stress of your board.

Post your ideas and surgestions and if you would be intrested in such a thing.
Last edited by christhatsme on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

geoffreak

Re: [DEV] Inter Board PM

Post by geoffreak » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Just make sure there isn't a security hole! ;)
You might want to have permissions or settings which can allow for blacklists/whitelists :D
Anime Revolution - Your new #1 source for All things anime and manga!
READ MY BLOG ALREADY!

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Yep I had thought of that.

As for spam in the form of ridiculous amounts of automated messages (attack kind of thing), the message would only be transfered to the readers forum when they click to read it, until that time it would remain on the senders forum's database.

I would also make some sort of check to make sure the message is coming from a phpbb board and not a form (although this would be quite easy to fake, so I am not really sure how ot go about that).

EDIT

Also just thought of a central blacklist that I could host in a csv file, then in the ACP the user could have an option of enabling its use, in which case when they want to update it, they click "update central black list" or something like that, and have that then inserted into the boards blacklist... Users could submit to the blacklist, and maybe it could be updated automatically if a certain reffer makes lots of requests in a short space of time.. (Or submit it to me as a "pending".)
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:33 pm

I've been trying to think of a way to eliminate spam, and as far as I can think of a system similar to bbProtection may be the only way of handling it. Anything else I can think of is either very easily spoofed or has the risk of preventing legitimate users from sendiner inter-board PM's. A blacklist, like you mentioned, may work, but something a little more advanced (ala bbProtection, for example) would probably be better off in the long run.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:05 pm

how does bbprotection work? I know it has some form of blacklist...

I really doubt a MOD like this would take off that much, so hosting an update server (so the users don't have to download an update) wouldn't be an issue, as I have a whole data centre to use, (although I'm pretty sure would only take up one case on a rack!!)

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:17 pm

According to the bbProtection website:
How bbProtection Works wrote:The system behind bbProtection can be compared to how SpamAssassin works. We don't work with one single test that either flags someone as a spammer or not, but with close to a hundred tests. Upon a registration or post, the client will send the user's profile data and IP address to our server, and depending on the final score, the client will receive a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". Besides these tests, we also maintain our own blacklists.
To do this, however, you'd also need to develop some sort of a backend server to handle that aspect. If you went ahead and did that, you could also go from a board-to-board to board-to-server based approach (ie, if the message is intended to be sent to another board (from board a to board b), board a contacts the server, sees if board b is able to receive inter-board PM's, if the user exists on board b, and if said user has a preference enabled to receive inter-board pm's, then send the message to the server. Then, when the user on board b check's his PM's, the server is queried and PM's are downloaded (using some kind of XML based communication, perhaps?))

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Yea I was intending doing it via XML using the CURL extension (preferably if some built in php function if there is one, but there isn't to my knowledge)

As for having a check on my server, think thats a great idea (although users of the MOD would have to register..)! That would pretty much eliminate spam totally... Apart from board to board, in which case I could have my script notify the administrator of that board with the offending user. I am away at regular intervals, so I don't want things to be too dependant on me..

Thing is I don't really want to end up out of pocket with the hosting of this kind of service if it gets big, but i really doubt it would so it shouldn't matter too much!

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:37 pm

christhatsme wrote:Yea I was intending doing it via XML using the CURL extension (preferably if some built in php function if there is one, but there isn't to my knowledge)
PHP's native socket functions should be able to do the trick (open socket to server, read/write, close).
As for having a check on my server, think thats a great idea (although users of the MOD would have to register..)! That would pretty much eliminate spam totally... Apart from board to board, in which case I could have my script notify the administrator of that board with the offending user. I am away at regular intervals, so I don't want things to be too dependant on me..
You could automate the report process as well (ie, if x number of reports for ip 111.111.111.111/user joeschmoe is received, they are automatically banned for one day, then a week, then permanently [3 strikes].
Thing is I don't really want to end up out of pocket with the hosting of this kind of service if it gets big, but i really doubt it would so it shouldn't matter too much!
I too doubt it would get big, but if that helps I'm sure some of the larger users putting the most load on the server may be willing to donate a small sum torwards hosting.

SaWey

Post by SaWey » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:08 pm

I just came across this topic and would like to give some of my thoughts:

wouldn't it be easy to implement some sort of key-verification, the board that sends the message must include a key of the receiving board.
This key is a unique key of the receiving board, and they only give it out to the boards they want to receive messages from. (this would also eliminate the possibility of sending messages from outside a board)

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:23 pm

While the idea of a unique key is a good one, it sounds like it'd have inherant issues, specifically, in this case, the fact that there would be very few boards using the system.

SaWey

Post by SaWey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:46 am

I don't think this will cost users, the ones who will use this are imo those who want to connect to boards related to theirs.
And the fact that it won't need an extra server to protect against spam.

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:59 am

However that could add complexities into transfering inter-board PM's. Kind of a tossup, really.

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:13 am

there is no no need for a key, they can just add to their personal white list / blacklist.. If they have a whitelist, it won't connect to the registration server

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:32 pm

update. iWisdom is joining the prject and we have setup a project at sourceforge, so we should start this in the next week or so :D

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:47 pm

making a start on this now, doing the core bits first, the functions to handle it all and the XML

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”