[REQUEST] Multi-Category post...

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
Omarvelous

[REQUEST] Multi-Category post...

Post by Omarvelous »

What do you guys think of the possibility of this MOD?

I'm thinking it might require more modification, at least to the loop used to generate the forum/post list.

Basically, I'm wondering if a MOD to allow more then one Category, a Main and Secondary (I think 2 is more then enough) would be of interest to anyone else other then me?

I think something like this would be good, especially for larger forums, with multiple sub-forums.

I envision this to work as follows....

Say your on a Dog forum.... In the Mastiff section, and you'd like to discuss Grooming of the Mastiff breed. You could just post in the Mastiff section, and get mastiff related responses, OR you could post in the Grooming section, and get a broader but less precise response.... OR you could have the post appear in both sections (Basically 1 forum, just appears in both sections) and receive even more views then you would have in each particular one. None the less, you get MORE. This is sort of a smaller example, but you get the gist.

I'm looking more at a usability aspect.... Similar to a tagging type of system.... Like blogs, where the categories are geared toward the entries, as opposed to the traditional forum approach, where the forum tries to gear the conversations to the particular forums/categories.

So...... Sounds a little more sophisticated, and I'm thinking would be more of a different forum platform altogether.
Omarvelous

Re: [REQUEST] Multi-Category post...

Post by Omarvelous »

I guess post tags would be the solution too this.....

Maybe predefined Tags at that....
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

How about posting in one forum and then moving the topic to another forum, leaving a ghost topic behind?
Omarvelous

Post by Omarvelous »

Brf wrote:How about posting in one forum and then moving the topic to another forum, leaving a ghost topic behind?
Are you saying a redirect? That could work as well, especially if it's done automatically.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Yes. A ghost topic is a "redirect"
Omarvelous

Post by Omarvelous »

Brf wrote:Yes. A ghost topic is a "redirect"
Well then yea, a MOD that would create a "Ghost Topic" but still display the post #s/views like a reg topic, and link back to the original MAIN topic/category.

So more like i'm looking for a "Dual Category Ghost Topic" Mod....

Only prob I can see is when a Moderator wants to move the topic, they would have to accomodate the MOD to be able to change both Main and Sub IF necessary.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

No.
When you move a topic, it leaves a Ghost Topic in the original forum. Therefore, when you move a topic and leave a ghost behind, that topic will appear in both forums. No modification needed.
Omarvelous

Post by Omarvelous »

Brf wrote:No.
When you move a topic, it leaves a Ghost Topic in the original forum. Therefore, when you move a topic and leave a ghost behind, that topic will appear in both forums. No modification needed.

Yea, I compeletly understand what your saying...

What i'm saying is, i'd like a MOD that produces a Ghost Topic, by the Users who add a Subcategory to their Topic, linking it to their Main category AND the Subcategory....

Follow me....
Creating a New Topic.... in Maxima forum, of a Car Forum, with every major brand of car... Maxima, is 3 categories down.... First category was Foreign Cars -> then Nissan -> then Maxima....

I'd like to discuss Detailing of the Maxima.... I could have a SUB forum called Maxima -> Detailing, but then i'd have to create a Detailing category for all car models..... OR I could have a "subcategory"... and link it to the top level Maintenence -> Detailing category, which would be seen by more people. It's like tags, which try to gear categories to the particular Post/Topic.

"I'd like to discuss Maxima and Car Audio, So i'll tag it "Maxima" and "Car Audio"".... Get where i'm going with this?

Not the best example, but you get the gist.

More I think about it, i'm thinking a Tag system would be much better, especially with predefined tags...

Like for the Maxima Forum - can have tags for "Detailing", "Performance", "Wheels", etc etc.... And these tags will apply to ALL models...

So when in the Maxima forum, can just click on "Wheels" and it will display all topics in Maxima with the Wheel tag.....

Or i can go on the board index, and click wheels from the tag cloud, and see alll topics pertaining to wheels, wihtout having to navigate "all MODEL -> Wheels" OR resort to having a high level "Wheels" category for ALL the car models....

As a poster, if i have a Maxima, and i'm asking about wheels in the big wheel section, chances are my thread won't b seen by as many maxima owners as it would if i posted in the Maxima section. With tags, i can post it in Maxima, and still have it seen by people who browse the "Wheel" tag.... either via the board index, seeing ALL, or in the Make, or a particular Model....

See where i'm going with this?

Sub categories, via Tags....
Omarvelous

Post by Omarvelous »

Tagging system, that acts as a filter.... And can be predefined, attached to topics, and customized to each particular forum.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”