Would you spend money for a message-board-system?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Liquinn

Re: Would you spend money for a message-board-system?

Post by Liquinn »

I would not pay for anything apart from phpbb. VB is bad, $200 a year, just a con.

Phpbb is the best forum software.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

holy dog

Post by holy dog »

Nope. Phpbb is good enough for me and my admin but if we really do need a domain then nvm.
The dog will pwn you.....

ProgrammingPHP.net

Post by ProgrammingPHP.net »

I have spent on a forum before (vBulletin), and doing so has its proper time and place, I believe. However, for small projects I would not intend to purchase a paid forum script.

starware

Post by starware »

If I had money to burn I might consider getting an IPB license, although personally I think phpbb 3 is just as good or better than vB. So considering phpbb is free and the support's good, I don't see much reason to switch.
Pardon my bad english, I'm american. :P

ProgrammingPHP.net

Post by ProgrammingPHP.net »

Liquinn wrote:I would not pay for anything apart from phpbb. VB is bad, $200 a year, just a con.
vBulletin is not $200 a year, nor even close. It is $85 for one year at a time, or $160 for a lifetime license. Tack on $30 / year for upgrades beyond the first year of the lifetime license.

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Either way, one eventually "pays" in the long run. whether free message board or not. The endless hours you spend working on it, the eletric bill -- the cost to run your PC, not to mention running the Air Con to keep you cool in the hot summer days. And of course, the yearly hosting.. if you have one. :geek:

sensiblealphabet

Post by sensiblealphabet »

The only forum software I'd ever consider buying is IPB, however I actually like phpBB3 more than it.

Zypher

Post by Zypher »

Well... Though phpBB is free and all, people buy forums for certain merits and achievements. Some think when operating a forum that was purchased makes them cooler and feel that they are serious about running whatever.

I personally operate and support phpBB 100% and I am happy with that. Though truth be told I have an IPB License, i don't operate it, but I surely do have it.

Though the one thing that made me stick with phpBB, not only is it free, it's the massive amount of support it gets from fellow users around with common or similar interest. Plus phpBB can practically do anything a user wants, as long as the user can respect and learn to use it properly.

Go phpBB! :?
- Zypher

~Beware of the Darkness Within!~

Fully Loaded

WhiteElephant

Post by WhiteElephant »

phpBB3 looks just as good for what I need as any paid software like vBulletin or IPB 2.3, so I don't see any reason to pay for those. You do however need to pay for hosting for phpBB3 unlike some free hosts of IPB 1.3 and the like.
WhiteElephant :: web site
only a mediocre person is always at his best

cdanik

Post by cdanik »

Never. Why would you when you have a free and more stable board, phpbb!
-Chris
Looking for Free Hosting?
Cpanel, 10 GB of Bandwidth, Very Reliable.
http://www.yfchost.com
Trading Card Collector?
http://www.tradingcardfinder.com

nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell »

I've done so many tweaks to my phpBB 2 forum that there's no way I can go back, or even would if I could. The best forums I've ever participated in have always used phpBB, and the reason is (as others cited) the vast community involvement at phpbb.com. I can find a mod for just about anything here, and if I can't find the mod I'm looking for, then chances are there's a similar mod that I can play around with to make it do what I want it to do. Plus, whenever I run into a technical problem, I'm almost always find my solution here even if it's unrelated to phpBB. All of that is not always true with VBulletin, IPB, or the dozens of others.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.

carita

Post by carita »

For me to use my money to buy a message board software, it would have to offer something quite special. Because you can find alot things in the free ones. If there came some software that was really unique and offered so much more than a free one, I might consider.

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

As long as a free board software like PhpBB does the job for you and has all the features and mods available at your disposal, why bother looking for a paid message board system? ;)

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

I signed up at the main vbulletin site and took their demo admin panel for a spin. Bascially, you're paying for a whole lot of specialized features you may not use. With phpBB, you get a good general board and you can add on what you need.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I also did the admin demo. It has a lot of features but I don't think it's worth the money at all. I'm waiting for easymod for phpbb3 then I can modify my board beyound vBulletin.

Return to “General Discussion”