Is it hard to make a MOD???

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
vigge_swe

Is it hard to make a MOD???

Post by vigge_swe »

The title says it. I want to make a mod to get my forum popular. Make a help forum at my forum will result in some more users. We are currently 2 active users at my forum. I got this idea from them who maked the arcade mod who has around 200 members from their mod. Is it hard or simple? I know some things is hard like making a arcade mod or a cash mod but I want to make something simple. What do I need to know?
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Is it hard to make a MOD???

Post by battye »

I'm afraid to say that if you have to ask the question in the first place, it might be.

As a first time MOD author (and I assume someone new to PHP and phpBB) it will take you time to learn the code and then apply it to effectively make a MOD.

If you want to increase your forums popularity, you should concentrate your efforts on SEO, promotion and advertising. :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
vigge_swe

Post by vigge_swe »

SEO doesn't work. I have like 6 banner exchanges, 4 link exchanges, 1 "surf" thing and submitted to like 20 search engines. I have worked and installed phpBB since I was 10 and I have installed cash mod when i was 10 too. I'm 14(soon 15) now. I can pretty much HTML but I can't much PHP.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

vigge_swe wrote:SEO doesn't work. I have like 6 banner exchanges, 4 link exchanges, 1 "surf" thing and submitted to like 20 search engines.
That's a pretty good way to get black listed from Google BTW.
Systems Engineering
vigge_swe

Post by vigge_swe »

I've tried to read the MOD documentation but it says "403:Forbidden. You are not allowed to acces this page". Why?
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

vigge_swe wrote:I've tried to read the MOD documentation but it says "403:Forbidden. You are not allowed to acces this page". Why?
We are aware of this problem and are working to solve it ASAP.
Systems Engineering
playerfr

Post by playerfr »

It will be nice if anyone can make a tutorial, Phpbb Mod for dummies, to show us just small easy mod's. How they are made, what each lines mean. It can help people that are motivated to start learning. Maybe that exist already if so please point us to the link.

All kind of help for your Forums / Sites. Installing for you the forum, the Mods, creating Custom Mods : for small fee http://www.phpbbhelpers.com
david63

Post by david63 »

playerfr wrote:It will be nice if anyone can make a tutorial, Phpbb Mod for dummies, to show us just small easy mod's. How they are made, what each lines mean. It can help people that are motivated to start learning. Maybe that exist already if so please point us to the link.

The problem with that idea is that there is no such thing as "standard" mod - every sinle mod is different. There some mods that will literally be two or three lines of code to, up at the other end of the scale, mods which have several new pages and can include 20+ files and a couple of hours of code changing.

One of the best ways to learn about mods is to install them, editing the code by hand, and whilst doing so look at read what you are doing and try to work out what is happening. From that move on to making some minor changes to your board (add a bit of text, move a few things around - simple things like that)l get the confidence, and knowledge, to start on your own mods.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

A topic from phpBB2 MOD Writers:

Making MOD's for phpBB 2.x (A starters tutorial)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Gleasonator

Post by Gleasonator »

vigge_swe wrote:What do I need to know?
PHP, HTML, and SQL. You also need to know how phpBB works which is mainly where I'm lacking.

Maybe that 2.x tutorial can help me a little. :P Thanks, drathbun.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

david63 wrote:
playerfr wrote:It will be nice if anyone can make a tutorial, Phpbb Mod for dummies, to show us just small easy mod's. How they are made, what each lines mean. It can help people that are motivated to start learning. Maybe that exist already if so please point us to the link.

The problem with that idea is that there is no such thing as "standard" mod - every sinle mod is different. There some mods that will literally be two or three lines of code to, up at the other end of the scale, mods which have several new pages and can include 20+ files and a couple of hours of code changing.

One of the best ways to learn about mods is to install them, editing the code by hand, and whilst doing so look at read what you are doing and try to work out what is happening. From that move on to making some minor changes to your board (add a bit of text, move a few things around - simple things like that)l get the confidence, and knowledge, to start on your own mods.
That is very well put.

playerfr

Post by playerfr »

Thats what i always do, but there are a lot of techincal words that i dont understand liek what is double == for, etc... but I have already started learning and started doing my own modification. Hoep with some practice and with you guys helps i wll be able to write a Mod one day :D Btw I have started to adopt jail mod for phpbb3 so You will soon see some new topic asking for help :lol: lolzzzz
All kind of help for your Forums / Sites. Installing for you the forum, the Mods, creating Custom Mods : for small fee http://www.phpbbhelpers.com
david63

Post by david63 »

playerfr wrote:there are a lot of techincal words that i dont understand
Google searching and a good php reference book will help in that area.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

playerfr wrote:Thats what i always do, but there are a lot of techincal words that i dont understand liek what is double == for, etc...
Is equal to. And three === means identical to. Most cases, == is sufficient.

For instance:

Code: Select all

if( $row['location'] == 'Ireland' )
{
echo 'You are from Ireland';
}

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”