is there a mod for this? re: user has access to only one for

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
candykc

is there a mod for this? re: user has access to only one for

Post by candykc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:17 am

I have a strange request. I am running a site in which I need to have a specific user, we'll call him "user1234", have access to ONLY one specific forum. This user can only view and post on a specific forum which he is the moderator for.

My problem is, how do I set this up or is there a mod for it? I don't want to make all of my standard forums private because then newly registered users won't have access to them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

bhoopalan

Re: is there a mod for this? re: user has access to only one for

Post by bhoopalan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:28 am

Am not from support team and hence this's not an exact answer..........

but i too wanted what u wish for...... so i found an option for it...

peep into your forum administration panel and try to find some option... when v create a thread v can have a password for that particular thread and if and only if one posts that password he can access that thread...

when one click that thread he'll be asked for password. so create a password of ur desire and give those who want to view that topic...

(My forum isn't opening now and i have some error so i cant able to check my control panel of my forum page to let u know the option... but u just have a look... u'll get it...)

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:37 am

bhoopalan wrote:...
peep into your forum administration panel and try to find some option... when v create a thread v can have a password for that particular thread and if and only if one posts that password he can access that thread...
There is no such option, phpBB 2.0.x does not have this feature.

There may be MOD to do something equivalent, have a look.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

candykc

Post by candykc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:38 am

thanks for the info but what i am actually looking for is a bit backwards! i want a user to only be able to view a specific forum or category and NOT be able to view or post on other forums that my general users can. Make sense?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:01 am

it makes sense. but you are right, it is backwards. that is not the way phpbb works at all.

you can ask someone to maybe write up some type of MOD for this.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:48 am

Here is how you can do it. Make a group and make every member a member of that group. You can do that with this SQL.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_user_group (group_id, user_id, user_pending)
       SELECT x, u.user_id, 0
       FROM phpbb_users u
       WHERE u.user_id > 1
       AND u.user_id <> y;
(replacing 'x' in the SELECT line with the group_id of the new group you want to add people to and y in the AND line with the user_id of the group moderator).

Set the Post permission of all forums to Private. Give the Group you created Post permission in all the forums. Now, remove the one individual from the Group and give him a User permission to Post in the one forum in question.

You will have to add any new members to the group as they register. Easier to do this if you use Admin activation.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”