Upgrading RC3 to RC5...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Cr00zng

Upgrading RC3 to RC5...

Post by Cr00zng »

Hello,

Judging by the installation manual and the available packages at the download site, RC3 should first be updated to RC4 and then RC5. Would that be correct?
TIA...

Cr00zng
david63

Re: Upgrading RC3 to RC5...

Post by david63 »

It depends on which method of updating you use. If you have no mods installed then you can use the changed files option which contains an upgrade from each previous version to the current one. If you have mods and want to use the automatic update then, yes, you will need to do them sequentially.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl »

Out of curiosity, if we're with RC3 currently, once gold is released, will we need to go up through all the RCs in order to be up to date? I believe we have only one mod installed.
Follow me to Alphabet City
david63

Post by david63 »

Angel-girl wrote:Out of curiosity, if we're with RC3 currently, once gold is released, will we need to go up through all the RCs in order to be up to date? I believe we have only one mod installed.
Yes
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Cr00zng

Post by Cr00zng »

david63 wrote:It depends on which method of updating you use. If you have no mods installed then you can use the changed files option which contains an upgrade from each previous version to the current one. If you have mods and want to use the automatic update then, yes, you will need to do them sequentially.
Thanks...
I don't have MODs installed, but ran the RC4 first that completed just fine using the automatic update package. Uploaded RC5 automatic package that seemingly also ran fine; however, it failed at the last step of checking the files to make sure they have been updated correctly. Clicking on the tab of "Check files again" brings up these error messages:

Code: Select all

Warning: main(./../language/en/common.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 204

Warning: main(./../language/en/common.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 204

Warning: main(): Failed opening './../language/en/common.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php/PEAR:/usr/local/share/pear') in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 204

Warning: main(./../language/en/install.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 207

Warning: main(./../language/en/install.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 207

Warning: main(): Failed opening './../language/en/install.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php/PEAR:/usr/local/share/pear') in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 207
Language file en/common.php couldn't be opened.
That's pretty much disabled my board; a quick visit to the forum shows this:

Language file en/common.php couldn't be opened.
I've checked the folder of "./../language/en/" and neither the index.php, nor the common.php files are there. The same folder does have index.php.bak and common.php.bak files that presumably have the RC4 version.

I haven't tried it yet, but renaming the backup files probably brings the board back online, which may cause issues down the line. What would be the proper way to recover from this error?
TIA...

Cr00zng
Cr00zng

Post by Cr00zng »

I guess there's no choice; running the RC5 update again gives this error:

Warning: main(): Failed opening './../language/en/install.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php/PEAR:/usr/local/share/pear') in /real/directory/structure/for/phpbb/removed/install/index.php on line 207
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:204)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 396: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:204)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 397: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:204)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 398: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:204)
The error make sense since without a language file there's no display.

Cr00zng
Cr00zng

Post by Cr00zng »

Alright, my board is back with RC5 and these were the steps:
  1. Copy the install.php and common.php from a working RC5 board to the broken forum:
    Predictably this didn't bring back the board, it still had a slew of errors.
  2. Rerun the RC5 automatic update:
    The RC5 update ran just fine this time without errors.
It seems that renaming the backup files in question and re-running the RC5 update would've done the same.

In retrospect the reason for the initial installation error might've been related to an FTP connectivity error, the changed files were uploaded via FTP.

Cr00zng
Zvjer

Post by Zvjer »

Just updated RC3 to RC5 (no mods) with "changed files only". Worked like a charm. ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”