It's been a month since last RC of Olympus was released...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
r4wMUnt34q

It's been a month since last RC of Olympus was released...

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

Do you think there will be a release about 28th September ? I dont really know how to look it up in CVS what has changed since RC5, but there seem to be a lot of unfixed bugs in the bug tracker... What do you think ? Are they planning to release a RC6 or a gold one ?

dark/Rain

Re: It's been a month since last RC of Olympus was released...

Post by dark/Rain »

Changelog / Commit log #1 / Commit log #2 :)
Acyd Burn @ http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=576156 wrote:We are very pleased to announce the availability of the phpBB3 RC5 package. This is the fifth (and hopefully last) release candidate which is meant to become the Gold release if no more critical problems arise.
Other than that, it's only speculation...

indecisive311

Post by indecisive311 »

This is the changelog for all RCs. There have been just about as many changes in RC5 as there were in RC4.

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... n=3#v30rc5

r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

Well it wouldnt be a speculation, if we knew that there was a critical problem fixed :), but I personally dont know which of them is critical... Does anyone ? :)
And according to what the post above this one says , there will be a RC6, I guess...

CrimsonThunder

Post by CrimsonThunder »

The more RC's the better, it means they're fixing things.

r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

CrimsonThunder wrote:The more RC's the better, it means they're fixing things.
Yea, thats right, but they can also fix things after gold is released, if needed, I guess...

indecisive311

Post by indecisive311 »

r4wMUnt34q wrote:
CrimsonThunder wrote:The more RC's the better, it means they're fixing things.
Yea, thats right, but they can also fix things after gold is released, if needed, I guess...
You're right. So what is stopping you from using it now? To me... the only difference between the latest RC and Gold is a title. I upgraded my forums at RC5 and it is working great.

r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

Yes, but the more important difference between a RC and a gold release is, that a gold release is considered relatively stable, because RC's are considered as relatively unstable as you may see on the download page.

I never said that something was stopping me from using RC5, I already did a successful upgrade of my board and I am really pleased about it, but other things are preventing me from running the board live (some inconvenience about FTP access). A lot of things that are in Olympus were achievable by modifying 2.0.22 version with plenty of MODs, I counted totally around 45 that I have installed, bigger or smaller, I dont distinguish. The permission system is quite confusing sometimes, but I think its very well made (yet), though.
Last edited by r4wMUnt34q on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

There's really no reason to hold back from installing and using RC5 if you wish to do so. That's the point of the release candidate. BETA was a different story as we didn't offer support for BETA->RC5 upgrades. Everything from RC1 on is fully supported.

As has been said, we hope RC5 is the last RC before Gold, provided no serious, show-stopping bugs or security issues are found.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

r4wMUnt34q wrote:A lot of things that are in Olympus were achievable by modifying 2.0.22 version with plenty of MODs, I counted totally around 45 that I have installed, bigger or smaller, I dont distinguish.
The issue with this is, however, that diagnosing issues when/if they should arise is near impossible without retracing your steps and reinstalling each MOD one-by-one. :)

Not that I'm frowning on the use of MODs, I'm just saying that for most people getting into using phpBB, 3.0.x is certainly the way to go for stability issues, rather than MODding 2.0.x to an extreme. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

AdamR wrote:The issue with this is, however, that diagnosing issues when/if they should arise is near impossible without retracing your steps and reinstalling each MOD one-by-one. :)
Im sorry, but I dont get the meaning of this by now...

But back to the topic. They have released few RCs after a month and its nearly a month since the last RC and as said above, there are around as many fixes as from RC4 to RC5, so I think I can assume, that around 28th September RC6 would be released... Correct me, if I said something wrong :)

dark/Rain

Post by dark/Rain »

r4wMUnt34q wrote:
AdamR wrote:The issue with this is, however, that diagnosing issues when/if they should arise is near impossible without retracing your steps and reinstalling each MOD one-by-one. :)
He wanted to say that it's far more difficult to track down a bug/issue if you have lots of MODs installed rather than having the features already built-in (and tested).

r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

Thanks a lot, I thought something like that, but couldnt figure it out...

indecisive311

Post by indecisive311 »

r4wMUnt34q wrote:

But back to the topic. They have released few RCs after a month and its nearly a month since the last RC and as said above, there are around as many fixes as from RC4 to RC5, so I think I can assume, that around 28th September RC6 would be released... Correct me, if I said something wrong :)
Oh I agree. I'm anxious to see what is going to come out in the next few days also.

What I was trying to say (and I think adam said it better) was that Olympus is fully supported right now, (probably even more so than 2.0) and I don't see a reason why anyone shouldn't go live. I guess its just a personal preference though.

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn »

There will be a RC6 release...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”