UTF8 encoding problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Teuzz

UTF8 encoding problem

Post by Teuzz »

I installed a clean copy of version 3 RC5 and I'm having troubles with UTF8. If users don't use our national specific characters (ěščřžýáíéúů) in message, subject or edit reason (items are independent, in one post, one of them can be OK and one of the others goes wrong), everything is OK. But in the case they do, standard english characters can be replaced with the unknown character mark (�). I think, it is always in pairs - two standard characters are replaced (it can be space too).

For example sentece "Fórum zpřístupněno pro četní "běžným smrtelníkům"", which I'm not able to save correctly. But if I replace the letter "ř" with "r" in this sentence, it's OK and the rest of it is displayed correctly. You can see it for exapmle here: http://forum.hwmag.cz/viewtopic.php?p=235#p235

Thank you for every suggestion, I'm not able to solve the problem and find the reason
Teuzz

Re: UTF8 encoding problem

Post by Teuzz »

I'm still not able to solve the problem. Noone can help me? :(
Teuzz

Post by Teuzz »

Well, I found this thread: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... lit=utf%2a
And it's the same problem. So it depends on the configuration of the server. I'm able to repair it myself, but it'd be wonderful if someone told me, in which script the problem is. But I'm afraid that there will be much more people having the same problem in the future.
Dundurs

Post by Dundurs »

The same problem for me for Latvian characters. The problem cames up after my host was upgraded to PHP 5.2.4. I use PhpBB RC5. The first time problem came up on RC4 when PHP was upgraded. When I told it to admin they downgraded back an all was Ok. Now I have RC5 but yeterday they upgraded to PHP 5.2.4 and will not turn back. Now I don't know what to do. Can any one help?

I can add to this, that problem starts after first meet of letter ī (code: &#324) in post
Dundurs

Post by Dundurs »

Does nobody else found this problem? For me it seems like to be a problem with latest PHP realease (5.2.4). I'm not the server administrator and I'am not able to change it back.
Last edited by Dundurs on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teuzz

Post by Teuzz »

I'm running the forum on PHP 5.2.2 and I'm also not able to change the system configuration.
Teuzz

Post by Teuzz »

Well, I'll try to fill in the template and I hope, somebody will start to talk to me.

Your board's URI: http://forum.hwmag.cz
Version of phpBB3: RC5
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? FRESH
Was this an install through your host? Y
MODs you have installed: Nothing
When the problem started: After install

Additionally, you may wish to provide the following (where applicable)
Template(s) used: Template independent (Prosilver, Subsilver 2, Diamond Black)
Language(s) used: CS
Version of PHP used: 5.2.2
Database and version used: 5.0.32-Debian_7etch1-log
Teuzz

Post by Teuzz »

EHM, it seems, that using MySQL without MySQLi Extension is the solution I needed. The error is rather random, I'll report.
Dundurs

Post by Dundurs »

Teuzz wrote:EHM, it seems, that using MySQL without MySQLi Extension is the solution I needed. The error is rather random, I'll report.
For me it's not a solution. The situation is the same.
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

Is there � chars in the beaten sentence directly in database?
Teuzz

Post by Teuzz »

rxu wrote:Is there � chars in the beaten sentence directly in database?
Yes.
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

So it looks like is related to utf8_normalizer bug, who knows :)
If you're some familiar with coding you could try to debug this at following line of posting.php

Code: Select all

$message_parser->message		= utf8_normalize_nfc(request_var('message', '', true));
Therefore, this suggestion may be wrong.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”