Upgrading phpBB3 on a closed network

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Mike Godwin

Upgrading phpBB3 on a closed network

Post by Mike Godwin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Apologies if this has already been covered, an "extensive" search did not return information on my issue.

Basically, I'm running phpBB3 in a closed environment on a corporate network. Consequently, the machine it is running on does not have direct access to the internet.

This seems to cause a problem when I go into the System tab in the ACP, since the board wants to go out to the internet to check the version it's running against the current version. I'm assuming this would be where I would initiate an update of the code if one were warranted but, since the board doesn't get the response it needs from the internet, I'm left with no options to do so.

Short of a complete install of a new version (which I am open to doing but really would prefer not to), is there any "workaround" to this?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: Upgrading phpBB3 on a closed network

Post by ChrisRLG » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:12 pm

The software is only going to display the update status of the forum - it should not cause you any problems other than in the adminCP giving a error for that display.

All the display does is to warn you of another update (if one is available).

It should display the same as if the phpBB.com site was offline for any reason, not causing any fault that will stop any operation you will need to do within the adminCP.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

dark/Rain

Re: Upgrading phpBB3 on a closed network

Post by dark/Rain » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Upgrading itself should work without internet access but if you want to use the auto update package you might need to edit one (?) file a bit since it does refuse to update otherwise (depends on version, got fixed in RC4/5 or so).

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”