Display last edited time information:

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Kubbie

Post by Kubbie »

I did a search on this and seen a entry about submitting it as a bug in B5, but I see no other information in the forum on it. Sooooo, I will ask why the edited date/time is not showing up on an edited message. I do have the radial button check to display this, but when done editing a message I see no edit date/time anywhere in the message, not can I even tell that the message was edited (other than me knowing I just edited it). I am sure I am missing something obvious, but do not know what.
pumpkinkid

Re: Display last edited time information:

Post by pumpkinkid »

I've been wondering the same thing... weird

It does seem to be logging it correctly though on the database... just not displaying...
Jaymie1989
Name: Jaymie

Post by Jaymie1989 »

Hi,

It will show the time, date and how many times its been edited after a while since the original post was made
e.g - Post made at 5.30 at 5.32 edited (it wont show) 5.45 (it will show)

I think its because it allows time in case the original post had a mistake, it will only show the time after a while thinking that its been updated, added info or other reasons.

Thats as far as i know.
Dear creators of Sesame Street,
Kids are still fat. Can I come back now?
Sincerely, Cookie Monster.

View my MODs - Need phpBB help with MODs and Styles? Take a look at my phpBB3 services
Jaymie1989
Name: Jaymie

Post by Jaymie1989 »

Just seen this as well
Choose if the last edited by information to be displayed on posts.
Thats in the ACP > General > Post Settings
Dear creators of Sesame Street,
Kids are still fat. Can I come back now?
Sincerely, Cookie Monster.

View my MODs - Need phpBB help with MODs and Styles? Take a look at my phpBB3 services
pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

Well, Thanks for trying to help, but the global announcements I have modified many times since my site opened up have def been edited way after originally posted.

as for the option in the acp, it's turned on....

any other ideas?
Kubbie

Post by Kubbie »

I just noticed it seems to only show up/work AFTER someone else replies to the message. It seems a little lacking and maybe needs to be changed to a board option if it is only suppose to show up after a reply. I can think of numerious times I have edited the contents/attachments of a message over time, that no one has replied to.
pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

I just ran across this,

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... d#p3110621

can anyone see if this is what's going on? I have to go to bed soon...
pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

Actually, just realized that if you give a reason for editing it shows... I would love for there to be a way to show it automatically...
DChronos

Post by DChronos »

same here, because a small italic "Edited by blank on date" without a reason should be the default way it prints things.
Remember the past... It will guide your future.
pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

exactly, I noticed this board doesn't do it, so i doubt it's built in as of now
HLT

Post by HLT »

I could be wrong on this but if its giving people the option to give a reason for their edit, and thereby announce that they edited their post, Id almost prefer this. I know as a poster, I edit all my posts five thousand times, because I go back and re-read things over and over. I really get embarrased by it when it shows that I edited my posts on other boards. Prefer it not show...
pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

While understanding your view, as a moderator I rather have control of it.. like that people do not have the ability to hide that their post was edited. Say I insult you and on your next post you start calling me names... If I edit my post, it looks like you attacked me first...

I prefer to leave the reason as a "btw, I wanted to..." type of thing
DChronos

Post by DChronos »

Not really sure about what you said, but that's exactly the reason the "edited by ____ at ______" should be FORCED to be there, whether there is a reason for it or not. ONLY the ability to state a reason for making your edit should be optional. The time should ALWAYS be posted, because of the reason of someone saying something bad in one post and getting a reply, then going back and editing their post, as well as the fact that when you post something, everyone can see it, and if they read what you have to say, and you edit the post to change it, and people don't see that you made an edit, they are not going to reread your post to see if you made a change or not when there is nothing indicating you made a change.

Noone at all, aside from admins and moderators (with the admin's permission to be able to mark a checkbox/radio button saying something along the lines of "Do not show edit time") should be able to edit their posts without displaying the time it was edited, period.

This just plain throws in the debate you now have to make of either you let people have the ability to correct mistakes and add things into posts that they might want or need to, but let them do it without anyone knowing that they edited their post unless they decide they want to let people know they edited their post (allowing a$$holes to troll people freely and get away with it by editing their posts) or let people just keep double posting and leaving any errors and not let them edit their posts at all just so you can keep trolls from taking advantage of the no post edit time without a reason thing.

Either way, trolls and a$$es win, because they can either get away with trolling people on your board way more often than usual, or spoil it for everyone by forcing you to take away peoples' ability to edit their posts to fix errors and add things they need to. And YES, phpBB, this is something trolls do, is try to get you, the admin, to take privileges away from the regular upstanding users of your boards, because they do not care if they have the privileges or not, they are just there to cause you and your users trouble in any way they can. Some places (*cough*gamefaqs*cough*), they do anything to cause trouble with the sole intent on getting their account banned but causing the people running it and the users as much trouble as they can, hopefully causing you to take something away from users to make your place a less appealing place to be.

EDIT: The only time the edit time should not be posted is if you make and submit your edit within 1 minute of the post, because there is very little chance many saw the post, and usually, you edit to fix some small error. Aside from that, it should always post an edit time from 1 minute after you make your post on, and also if someone happens to reply before you submit an edit that is within 1 minute, it should always state the edited time if someone has replied after the post you are editing. There already seems to be the ability to warn you if someone made a post while you are editing or something (maybe it's just for if someone made a post before you while you were making a post, and not an edit), so adding an edit time by default if someone has already posted shouldn't be difficult.
pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

I have been trying to figure out how the system is set up... I must say I have a fairly good understanding of PHP and mysql.. yet I still find PHPBB very intimidating...

However... to me it seems like the themes are the ones limiting this...

styles/STYLENAME/template/viewtopic_body.html

Code: Select all

<!-- IF postrow.EDITED_MESSAGE or postrow.EDIT_REASON -->
				<div class="notice">{postrow.EDITED_MESSAGE}
					<!-- IF postrow.EDIT_REASON --><br /><strong>{L_REASON}:</strong> <em>{postrow.EDIT_REASON}</em><!-- ENDIF -->
				</div>
			<!-- ENDIF -->
Reason I suspect this is because following this code, I see no reason as to why the message would not show up without a given reason...

viewtopic.php

// Editing information
	if (($row['post_edit_count'] && $config['display_last_edited']) || $row['post_edit_reason'])
	{
		// Get usernames for all following posts if not already stored
		if (!sizeof($post_edit_list) && ($row['post_edit_reason'] || ($row['post_edit_user'] && !isset($user_cache[$row['post_edit_user']]))))
		{
			// Remove all post_ids already parsed (we do not have to check them)
			$post_storage_list = (!$store_reverse) ? array_slice($post_list, $i) : array_slice(array_reverse($post_list), $i);

$sql = 'SELECT DISTINCT u.user_id, u.username, u.user_colour
				FROM ' . POSTS_TABLE . ' p, ' . USERS_TABLE . ' u
				WHERE ' . $db->sql_in_set('p.post_id', $post_storage_list) . '
					AND p.post_edit_count <> 0
					AND p.post_edit_user <> 0
					AND p.post_edit_user = u.user_id';
			$result2 = $db->sql_query($sql);
			while ($user_edit_row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result2))
			{
				$post_edit_list[$user_edit_row['user_id']] = $user_edit_row;
			}
			$db->sql_freeresult($result2);

unset($post_storage_list);
		}

$l_edit_time_total = ($row['post_edit_count'] == 1) ? $user->lang['EDITED_TIME_TOTAL'] : $user->lang['EDITED_TIMES_TOTAL'];

if ($row['post_edit_reason'])
		{
			// User having edited the post also being the post author?
			if (!$row['post_edit_user'] || $row['post_edit_user'] == $poster_id)
			{
				$display_username = get_username_string('full', $poster_id, $row['username'], $row['user_colour'], $row['post_username']);
			}
			else
			{
				$display_username = get_username_string('full', $row['post_edit_user'], $post_edit_list[$row['post_edit_user']]['username'], $post_edit_list[$row['post_edit_user']]['user_colour']);
			}

$l_edited_by = sprintf($l_edit_time_total, $display_username, $user->format_date($row['post_edit_time']), $row['post_edit_count']);
		}
		else
		{
			if ($row['post_edit_user'] && !isset($user_cache[$row['post_edit_user']]))
			{
				$user_cache[$row['post_edit_user']] = $post_edit_list[$row['post_edit_user']];
			}

// User having edited the post also being the post author?
			if (!$row['post_edit_user'] || $row['post_edit_user'] == $poster_id)
			{
				$display_username = get_username_string('full', $poster_id, $row['username'], $row['user_colour'], $row['post_username']);
			}
			else
			{
				$display_username = get_username_string('full', $row['post_edit_user'], $user_cache[$row['post_edit_user']]['username'], $user_cache[$row['post_edit_user']]['user_colour']);
			}

$l_edited_by = sprintf($l_edit_time_total, $display_username, $user->format_date($row['post_edit_time']), $row['post_edit_count']);
		}
	}
	else
	{
		$l_edited_by = '';
	}
What I don't understand is why no one is giving us a direct answer... At least as to why PHPBB does this...

There is a mod that allows it for 2.0... but it would not be retroactive...
DChronos

Post by DChronos »

Yeah, I don't get why but when I first asked some things a few weeks ago, there were responses right away... then it just dropped, and it seems every single topic I have made the last week and a half has no reply to it, including problems I have.

I wonder if this might change how it's done or it would even work, but what if you just took out the first line's if post edit reason part?

<!-- IF postrow.EDITED_MESSAGE -->
            <div class="notice">{postrow.EDITED_MESSAGE}
               <!-- IF postrow.EDIT_REASON --><br /><strong>{L_REASON}:</strong> <em>{postrow.EDIT_REASON}</em><!-- ENDIF -->
            </div>
<!-- ENDIF -->

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”