Confused about Creating/Installing a custom Style

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Leona

Confused about Creating/Installing a custom Style

Post by Leona »

http://www.livinglovingathome.com/board
2.0.22 fresh install
Installed through Dreamhost
MODs: EasyMOD, Font Type BBcode, Redirect anonymous users to login
Problem started today

1) I followed the steps in the Knowledge Base article: How to start a new phpBB2 style. When I go to Styles > Add in the Admin Panel, the new template is not listed. I have confirmed the file and directory names as all being the same and case sensitive. What else can I check?

2) Also, are there any detailed step-by-step tutorials for modifying subSilver to create a new Style? I find articles that get me started but not enough information. With the complex list of files in the subSilver template, I'm not sure where to look to make changes. I want to change template elements: images and colors. I don't understand the steps to follow to go from start to finish.

Thank you for your assistance.
marcus.smith

Re: Confused about Creating/Installing a custom Style

Post by marcus.smith »

Leona wrote:1) I followed the steps in the Knowledge Base article: How to start a new phpBB2 style. When I go to Styles > Add in the Admin Panel, the new template is not listed. I have confirmed the file and directory names as all being the same and case sensitive. What else can I check?
This usually happens when theme_info.cfg is incorrect, or the entered details don't match the dir/files perfectly including, as you rightly point out, case sensitivity.
Leona wrote:2) Also, are there any detailed step-by-step tutorials for modifying subSilver to create a new Style? I find articles that get me started but not enough information. With the complex list of files in the subSilver template, I'm not sure where to look to make changes. I want to change template elements: images and colors. I don't understand the steps to follow to go from start to finish.
Change colours in the theme.css file. Images just need replacing with new ones for the theme, retaining the same file name. Info on images is in theme.cfg and use $images[] variables. Some sizes are hard coded in the .tpl files and may need changing.
..: Ma®©uS™ :..
Image Mods: Contact Form | Hex BBCode | Login Name
Leona

Post by Leona »

Thank you for your reply. I will review those files and see if I can make some progress. I may be back with more questions!
marcus.smith

Post by marcus.smith »

Ok cool, though might be best you post them in the phpBB2 Styles Development & Discussion forum for a quicker response.. I'm surprised this didn't get moved yet.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=23
..: Ma®©uS™ :..
Image Mods: Contact Form | Hex BBCode | Login Name
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

Moved, in case you have more questions :)
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
Leona

Post by Leona »

Excellent! I didn't realize this forum was here. Maybe I can learn more now.

Thanks!
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Leona: Check out my template design guide. It should tell you all you need to know.
http://www.jakob-persson.com/articles/t ... esignguide

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
Leona

Post by Leona »

Thanks, Kail What if I don't know much HTML and no CSS? I came to phpBB from ezboard and they had forms where I just filled in the blanks with my Hex codes and my image locations after I had built all the pieces.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Then it's a good time to learn! :)

Good place to begin: http://www.htmldog.com

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”