MySQL server has gone away [2006]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ayudame

Re: MySQL server has gone away [2006]

Post by ayudame »

I put in a support ticket to bluehost which included a link to this thread... and they responded with this reply: [great tech support I must say...they answered the call in 8 seconds - at MidPhase 25-45 minutes]

Dear Customer,
This is a commonly misunderstood issue. The error you are seeing is caused by a number of things relating to the settings or configuration of your script. The most common reason that you will see this error, on our servers, is that your connection to the MySQL database is timing out and being disconnected while the script that is calling it is working on other things, like FTP uploads and the like. There is a 45 second limit on idle connections to the MySQL database. An idle connection is one in which no data is being accessed or written.

Related to this, but not quite the same, is that persistent MySQL connections will not work on our server. It is pretty much guaranteed that a continuous connection to the MySQL database will lie idle for more than 45 seconds at some point. When this happens the connection is closed, and the script only realizes this when it tries to use the connection the next time. This is the easier of the two issues, as you would simply turn off the setting for persistent connections in your script.
Sincerely, Craig Coxson - Level I Support - BlueHost.com

So...not knowing how this code works...is there something I can change to make it work on their servers?
while the script that is calling it is working on other things
Is the script doing other things or is the call that processes display_custom_bbcodes() running linier?

Or is this level I tech just sending me a "canned response"?
Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 »

I think the new config PHPBB_DB_NEW_LINK may help here, or am I wrong ?
DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie »

Bluehost's response still doesn't address or explain - to my neophyte mind, anyway - the reasoning behind why this problem just started.

I am in the process of switching hosts and will post a followup when complete.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Mickey14 wrote::lol: I chose hostmonster because it is recommended everywhere here by phpBB team...
Hmm? We have a policy of not recommending hosts. Nowhere will you find any hosting recommendations on this site.

Advertisements (if that's what you're referring to) are in no way endorsements.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie »

Migration to new host has been completed as of a couple hours ago. So far, all systems go.

No changes were made nor required in my cPanel. I'll be sure and update here if things go south again.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Since this is a hostmonster/bluehost you are using. Humor me and do a little test and see if it makes any difference. (For those who still have the "mysql gone away error")

Go to ACP and from there to security settings. Disable the IP checking against DNSBL list.
Submit it and try to post again.

The reason i'm suggesting this is because i have personally "fixed" the mysql gone away error on hostmonster server by just disabling this option.
Signature is here
HellBelly

Post by HellBelly »

I just want to give my two cents here.

I’ve been running on Blue Host for 2 years now and I just renewed my contract for another 2 years. I ran phpNuke those first two years and recently did the painful conversion over to phpbb 3.0 RC5 back in October I believe. I’ve been steadily keeping up with the RC versions and tonight I just completed RC7 to RC8, without any issues.

All of my users are able to post without issue, no error messages.

Now my box at blue host is running:

PHP Version 4.4.7
MySQL Version 4.1.22

Sure sounds like a PHP versioning issue…
ayudame

Post by ayudame »

HellBelly wrote:Now my box at blue host is running: PHP Version 4.4.7 / MySQL Version 4.1.22
Sure sounds like a PHP versioning issue…
HellBelly...I wonder how you got to keep these versions on your box? :shock:

I guess that's a question for me to ask BH. They just upgraded my box [and I assumed by the support response...EVERY box either had already been upgraded or is in pipe to be].

I'll get back with the reply...
HellBelly

Post by HellBelly »

I'd appreciate that, if they plan on upgrading my box to php5 then I guess I need to start calling myself before it hoses my site up.
ayudame

Post by ayudame »

lurttinen wrote:Go to ACP and from there to security settings. Disable the IP checking against DNSBL list...Submit it and try to post again.
Tried to post my first post again...received the error.
Disabled the IP checking against DNSBL list.
Tried to post my first post again...Success.

:D Thank-you lurttinen...your quick-fix worked for me...Now I'm back in business.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Great :)
Signature is here
DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie »

Update: New host up and running with no probs. (No slam against Bluehost... they were just unable to resolve the issue.) New host is running PHP version 4.4.4 so that would appear to be the root of the problem...? (MySQL version is 5.0.37-standard-log; the same as with Bluehost.)

I had already made the switch before lurtinnen posted so wasn't able to try that. Again, though, why would that have been the cause of an out-of-the-blue MySQL error?
neps

Post by neps »

trying to upgrade from 2.0.x to 3 and I'm getting this error. i tried raising the timeout from 60 to 180 and eventually to -1 (which it says means no limit) and I still get the error.

I also checked the setting someone mentioned, and I got nothing there either.

Any other suggestions or configs to modify?
salty78

Post by salty78 »

I'm having the same problem as well and I'm using the XAMPP package locally to do the conversion. It runs great for a while and then once it gets near the end of the PM section I get this error and it refuses to do anything else. I've set the timeout to -1 so I'm not sure what else to do. The board I'm converting has 860,000+ posts
meh
raul2010

Post by raul2010 »

salty78 wrote:I'm having the same problem as well and I'm using the XAMPP package locally to do the conversion. It runs great for a while and then once it gets near the end of the PM section I get this error and it refuses to do anything else. I've set the timeout to -1 so I'm not sure what else to do. The board I'm converting has 860,000+ posts
I'm in the exact same situation here. Only my board is a bit smaller (500.000+ posts)

Edit: I've restarted the conversion, but this time I picked mySQL instead of mySQLi. It has converted all the posts but now I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to switch to mySQLi again.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”