Discus 4 --> phpBB2 convertor

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
markus_freerela

Re: Discus 4 --> phpBB2 convertor

Post by markus_freerela »

The script runs equally on professional and freeware version and has proven to doing it before. When it determines there's no sql backend in Discus, it'll read the user data from the files. Please note the script only support Discus 4.0 versions. If you're on a 3.x version, it'll most likely won't work.

If you like I can support you as I did other users, against a donation of US$ 50.00
OscarT

Post by OscarT »

markus_freerela

Originally, the script would see the sql counters. I turned that off. The script executes, but stalls.

It seems to get stuck or time out here:

Code: Select all

migrating search-file [...] /discus_admin_###/msg_index/12-search.txt
.........+.........+.........+.........+.........!.........+.........+.........+.........+.........H
.........+.........+.........+.........+.........!.........+.........+.........+.........+.........H
.........+.........+.........+.........+.........!.........+.........+.........+.........+.........*
.........+.......
If you can make it work, I would be glad to pay you $50. Email me and we can set it up.

Oscar
[my name] @phoenix-creative.com
markus_freerela

After you sent me the US$ 50.00 and gave me your logon credentials in a private message, I promise to look into your conversion.
OscarT

Post by OscarT »

Markus,
Thanks for the conversion. You were able to get all of the posts moved over, thanks!

My board was very large-for discus ( 76747 messages in 10892 pages, 25 topics).

OscarT
(Soon to be Discus Free :D )
markus_freerela

Thanks again for the donation, Oscar. Remember to copy over the delivered login.php file into your phpBB installation directory. This will recognize Discus passwords. However, the new phpBB version 3 will not support the Discus crypt system. Old users will either have to get a new password or you can assign new ones to them (e.g. by a php script which I can create ;) )
OscarT

Post by OscarT »

Thanks for your help. I am still having trouble with the login.php script. It is not working. Any suggestions?

Oscar
markus_freerela

Your login script is now working properly in your "bb" directory.
OscarT

Post by OscarT »

Markus,

Great work. I would happily recommend you for anyone else that needs their discus board converted.

If you want to convert your discus board, contact Markus! :D

Oscar
hal65

Post by hal65 »

Hi all, one of my boards has been converted successfully.

But the others two are still locked into the evil discussion board :cry:

The problem for these boards are the archive threads, as I wrote some time ago, in these board the Auto-Threads and Auto-Messages discus options are set to ON.

So every time a thread reach 30 posts, the last 10 are left there and the first 20 are moved in a new Archive sub-folder.

These Archive sub-folders are thousands in the forum so it is quite impossible to manually extract the posts from archives, move them to the main thread and than to delete the empty archive folders (this is the "nice" procedure I have followed in the converted little forum).

It is there a way to have a perl/php script able to go to the forum and perform this task ?

Naturally I'll pay for.
markus_freerela

Technically spoken, the Archive threads are nothing else than a subforum that doesn't accept threads to be added to it, right? So, if you change the switch 'SUBFORUMS_TO_FORUMS' (line 51 of migdiscus.php) to 0 instead of 1, any threads under a subforum are automatically consolidated under the main forum. If this is what you want to achieve, you should be fine by simply changing this switch.

A program change would be required if you would like to also consolidate the posts from the different threads in one topic.

e.g. You have a thread named"very long discussion". After 30 messages in this thread, the first 20 would be moved to a new thread "very long discussion" in a subforum "archived messages 1", after another 20 messages, the 20 oldest one would be moved to a thread "very long discussion" in subforum "archived messages 2". The switch mentioned above would remove the subforum structure, thus move the threads into the main forum, but you would still see the same topic title multiple times (3 times in above example). If you would like to undo the archiving activity and have ONE topic with 50 messages, then a program change would be required. This change would look for topics with identical name and move everything to that topic.
markus_freerela

I've just released version 2.2.1 of the script which can be downloaded for free, as always, from http://www.discusscripts.com/downloads/discus_migr.zip

New feature: Switch 'CLEANOUT_TOPICS'. If set to 1, it'll move posts of topics with equal name in a particular forum into one single topic and remove the empty topics.This way, the topic names within a particular forum are unique. Could be useful for forums with archive threads where you'd like to move everything into one thread again (undo the archiving). By default, it's set to 0 which means that the script won't move any posts automatically.
hal65

Post by hal65 »

First feedback ;-)

After the first step I'll see:
The URL is: http://www.mysite.com/phpbb/migdiscus.php?step=2&&runtime=0

Code: Select all

Running Script on MySQL version 4.1.20-log

done !
Time needed: 0 seconds
Nothing else.

Is it there something that has to be differently configured in the script from the previous versions ?
markus_freerela

The script has been changed in the way that it now supports steps and doesn't run everything in one go. This is helpful with larger sites. The error you described shouldn't occur unless you commented out line reading gotoStep(3); You shouldn't change any of the code that resides outside of the user config section.
hal65

Post by hal65 »

Mmmm, I think that something of the things required by the script has changed.

I have no problems running your scripts untill version 2.1.1 but this new one stops at stage 2 with no apparent errors.

I have touched nothing else than:
$phpbb_root_path = $doc_root . '/phpbb/';
$discus_admin_dir = '/var/www/discus_admin';
I have also downloaded the script twice, but nothing happens.
markus_freerela

if you think version 2.1.1 ran better, you can still download it from
http://www.discusscripts.com/downloads/ ... gr_211.zip

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”