SQLite vs MYSQL

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
tw9p

SQLite vs MYSQL

Post by tw9p »

How much more efficient is SQLite than MYSQL in use of server resources?
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: SQLite vs MYSQL

Post by Techie-Micheal »

The problem is that what you may pick up in speed you'll lose in scalability. From what I've seen SQLite just doesn't handle large databases like MySQL does.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
tw9p

Post by tw9p »

When is the use of SQLite indicated?
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

On a tiny board it might be a little faster, but in all honesty I'd just use MySQL.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

Well, basically, SQLite is a bit faster on SELECTs, writing is slower than in MySQL, from some testing I know my HDD is quiet when writing to MySQL, when writing to SQLite, it sound like it's formatting....

Also MySQL handles larger amounts of connections/clients much better than SQLite.

So...SQLite will be slightly faster on a very small board and only in some cases, MySQL is your best bet...
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

I'd personally only consider SQLite for testing purpose or if you have absolutely no option to set up MySQL or PostgreSQL on your server. That's also the primary use for SQLite in my eyes: an embedded database. For instance: You want to give someone a preview for your board filled with some posts and accounts etc. Then you could easily bundle everything into a nice package without having to dump the database first and then requiring the one you want to give this showcase to, to import the database again, edit the config.php to suite his/her needs etc.

Just my 2c ;)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
ytsejam

Post by ytsejam »

When you say SQLite, do you guys mean the MySQL(i) option during the board installation?
Hrm...

I suppose there is no way to change that after the board is already running? :)
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Well, SQLite is its own database "engine". And you can change the database engine but it will take some manual work to get it working.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

Return to “phpBB Discussion”