[DEV] User Control Panel

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
netclectic
Former Team Member

[DEV] User Control Panel

Post by netclectic »

This mod has been taken on from president's UserCP mod which he was no longer able to complete - Original Thread

There is a demo here - demo

The plan is to make it as simple a mod install as possible by limiting the number of edits to core files to as few as possible and to make everything all nice and modularised so it should be nice and easy for people to re-use whatever bits they want elsewhere in their site (e.g. on portal pages).

The mod currently includes...
  • a buddy list
  • recent topics
  • forum subscriptions
  • thread subscriptions
  • private messages
I plan on including (and extending) my post notification mod so users can receive notifications of posts from their 'buddies' as well as their subscribed threads and forums. I also plan on including an ignore list so users can chosse to ignore (not recive notifications of) posts from users in their ignore list.

Any suggestions let us know...
Defend the game:
president

Post by president »

I love this :wink: :D
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

Is the forum notification a separate mod? Or is it new code that will send email is new topics are posted?
brettm133

Post by brettm133 »

cool.. this should be in a later release of phpbb if it gets completed and it is a success. i've always wanted something like this!
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

cdkrg wrote: Is the forum notification a separate mod? Or is it new code that will send email is new topics are posted?

Forum notification will be an extension of [Release - 2.0.3] Post Notification MOD
Defend the game:
alegis gensan

Post by alegis gensan »

really nice netclectic, keep it up ;)
FB-ke

Post by FB-ke »

Really cool stuff mate!! What's the "my weblog" in a user's profile?
Would be handy to also have the "view your posts" and "view posts since last visit" in there maybe?

Personally, I never use the index of a forum... I just check it regularly for things like birthdays etc (only if there are mods installed of course).
Hades

Post by Hades »

Might be a nice idea to keep the buddy list down the left when viewing your profile & PMs too. Especially for the PMs.

Also, once the UserCP is finished you could remove the profile link from the header menu and just have people go through the UserCP for it.

Also, in the subscribed forums & topics there should be the option to unsubscribe in the listing in the UserCP

Just as a note, the Subscribed topics didn't work for me in your demo. I went to a topic and clicked "Watch this topic" and it confirmed I was watching the topic, but when I checked in my userCP it didn't list it.

I also couldn't find the "Watch this Forum" link anywhere. Don't know if you've implemented either of these yet, so just letting you know.

Another thing I just thought of too... would this MOD be able to integrate with the SpellCheck MOD at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27134. I think it would be cool if it could read the cookies the spellcheck mod uses to store users "Learned Words" and allow the user to add/remove words from them. (Obviously not a good idea to put them in the database... terrible duplication of data)

And while I'm on about other mods, would this be able to link in with the attachment mod too. Allowing a user to view the stats for their attachments and edit/remove them too?

Sorry if this post seems to ramble a bit, I'm just typing as things pop into my head.

Hope some of this is useful. :)

I'll be watching this topic ;)
Hades
Lord of the Underworld

Like roleplaying? Try BlastRPG Forums
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

'my weblog' comes from my Forum Weblogs mod
Defend the game:
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Hades wrote: Might be a nice idea to keep the buddy list down the left when viewing your profile & PMs too. Especially for the PMs.

Good idea, the way the individual bits have been coded it will be a very easy addition to add them to any other page.
Hades wrote: Also, once the UserCP is finished you could remove the profile link from the header menu and just have people go through the UserCP for it.

Probably a good idea. I'll maybe include an addition for the index page similar to the one on ex-smokers, which you can see here - http://www.ex-smokers.com - login: test / dev_test - This account has now been disabled!

Hades wrote: Also, in the subscribed forums & topics there should be the option to unsubscribe in the listing in the UserCP

There is an option to unscubscribe.
Hades wrote: Just as a note, the Subscribed topics didn't work for me in your demo. I went to a topic and clicked "Watch this topic" and it confirmed I was watching the topic, but when I checked in my userCP it didn't list it.

I also couldn't find the "Watch this Forum" link anywhere. Don't know if you've implemented either of these yet, so just letting you know.

The subscribed threads doesnt use the watched topics at the moment, i'll probably change to use it though, not sure why president implemented it seperatly :?

The links in viewtopic etc. to subscribe have not been implemented yet.
Hades wrote: Another thing I just thought of too... would this MOD be able to integrate with the SpellCheck MOD at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27134. I think it would be cool if it could read the cookies the spellcheck mod uses to store users "Learned Words" and allow the user to add/remove words from them. (Obviously not a good idea to put them in the database... terrible duplication of data)

And while I'm on about other mods, would this be able to link in with the attachment mod too. Allowing a user to view the stats for their attachments and edit/remove them too?

These would be possiblities, probably not in the first release though.
Last edited by netclectic on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defend the game:
morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix »

seems to be very interesting :wink:
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:
Ralendil

Post by Ralendil »

This look like mine for the navigation bar :lol:

look ;)

DELETED TO AVOID CONFUSIONS ;)

I like your buddy list and the Subscribed Forums List and Subscribed Threads List
Miss this on the mine :(

I wait wait wait....
Last edited by Ralendil on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvertongue

Post by Silvertongue »

I didn't see this mentioned in any of the descriptions, but it might already be in consideration.

Along with the subscribed/watch threads, it would be nice to have an icon next to the actual thread in the forum indicating that it's a thread you're watching. On forums that have many thousands of people, it would make life much simpler to keep track of where you need to respond.
Hades

Post by Hades »

Any word on how far this mod is from being finished?
Hades
Lord of the Underworld

Like roleplaying? Try BlastRPG Forums
hakuna matata

Post by hakuna matata »

nice mod! can't wait to see it finished.

one suggestion though:

this regards forum favorites. i didn't tried yours, but there is one thing i would very much like to see in your mod if possible. in forums with a lot of categories, like the one i was moderating, users often complain about all this traffic and that they would want to see on the index only those forums added to their favorites...

do you thing it is possible to add that as an additional option?
thanks.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”