[ABD] (Topic &) Post Rating System (with Karma module)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Alfatrion

[ABD] (Topic &) Post Rating System (with Karma module)

Post by Alfatrion »

(Topic &) Post Rating System (PRS) allows users to vote on a post or topic using a intuitive 5 stars interface, that doubles as a display. Its a way for users to communicate to each other how they feel about each others posts. And a great tool for moderator who like to assesses users contribution to the board. The mod aims to be a flexible one size fits all, easy to install.

It has a number of modules (karma, shadow, penalty and modpoints) that can be enabled or disabled separately. The karma module calculates the karma of users based up on the recent rating they received. The shadow module can ingeniously determine what users would have voted. The penalty module helps prevent abuse by disallowing abusing users to vote. And last but not least, voting can be restricted to posting users though the modpoints module.

Modification version: 0.4
Download: http://prs.kruijff.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46

Category: Add-Ons, (Admin Tools,) Communication, Profile/User Control Panel, Moderator Tools
Complexity: SQL Schema Changes, Template Changes, File Edits
Estimated Time: ~ 10 Minutes
Tested on phpBB version: 3.0.1

Supported styles: Prosilver, subSilver2
Supported languages: Image English, Image Italian by f.palagiano, Image Russian by phpDummie, Image French by effco, Image Dutch, Image Spanish by ^[GS]^

Demo: http://prs.kruijff.org/demo/
Support: http://prs.kruijff.org/forum/

Links Some screenshots:

Note:
  • Please read 'How to Report Bugs Effectively' before sending in any bug reports.
  • Please try the software on a clean install of phpBB3 before asking before asking for support.
  • Please include the following information when asking for support: the apache version, php version and the mod version (as written in the archive filename).
  • For those who installed this mod: I'm keen in knowing what values you like, so I can changes the default values for the easy / average / strict setting on the overview page.
  • New features will not be included before version 1.0.0.
  • The contrib directory holds the edited standard phpBB3 files. Please check one of these files for the line where you run into problems and report any inconsistencies here.
Last edited by Alfatrion on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13 am, edited 76 times in total.
My abandoned (for own reference). mod: Post Rating System (website | screenshots | demo | support)
Alfatrion

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Alfatrion »

Will feature X be included in the final release?

No, including new software means including new bugs, there for my focus lies now on only working bugs out of the release. As a matter of principal I don't make promises for the future. The only exception to this is when I already have done something, just haven't released it jet.

I have a problem executing the mod, will you help me?

You may always ask questions in this thread. If you have other mods installed then make sure they didn't case any problems by installing my mod on a clean phpbb3 installation.

For users

How can I rate a post?

If you meet the requirements then you do this by clicking on the five stars that are located at the top of every post.

When can I rate a post?

You can rate a post when the border of the star becomes blue. The requirements for this are:
- you are registered for a X days.
- have written X posts.
- the post was written within X days of today.
- the post you like to rate is not your own.
- haven't abused the system in the past. (only applies if the penalty module is enabled)
- you have some modpoints left. (only applies if the modpoints module is enabled)

How should I vote?

Use the most left star for junk posts, the middle star for neutral posts and the most right star for quality posts. You can view the descriptions by hovering over the links.

The stars only show my rating, whats wrong?

This is a feature and not a bug. The average rating will only be visible when voting is no longer possible. (i.e. when the border becomes red when hovered over.)

For administrators

What do the acp options on the detailed page mean?

Basis module is, well, the basic stuff you need.
  • Period posts are open for voting (days): users can no longer vote on a post after the post was posted this many days ago.
  • Voting requires membership period (days): users can only vote if they have bin a member of your board for at least this many days.
  • Voting requires post count: users can only vote if the have at least this number of post written.
  • Ignored permillage of votes (on the edges): approximately this amount of votes are ignored in determining the score, assuming the votes are normally divided. This is done in an attempt to discard votes from users who like to abuse the system.
Karma module provides the (weighted) average rating over a period that fades out by dividing this period in to intervals. This way the youngest interval has a greater influence and the oldest. I.e. from now to 30 days ago has a greater influence than 30 days ago to 60 days ago.
  • Interval:
  • Amount of intervals:
Shadow module is a algorithm that figures out what your users would have voted, by comparing voting history of users.
  • The chance the shadow vote is correct: A lower chance allows for a less accurate, and therefor more, shadow votes. A higher chance gives more guaranties about the accurately of the shadow votes.
  • Shadow algorithm intervall:
  • Minium votes casted per user requirement: A high value should save the algorithm a little bit of time by removing users who are likly have no compatible voting. A lower value gives the highest change the algorithm can cast shadow votes.
Penalty module is a algorithm that blocks users who give scores that lay out of the normal spectrum.
  • Penalty permillage (of votes):
  • Minimum ammount of votes required:
  • Examined period:
  • Percentage when voting is disabled overall:
  • Percentage when voting is disabled per user:
Modpoint module is a way of rewarding users who post. Users need these points to be able to vote and can collect them by posting. The number of modpoints can be based on the rate there post get.
  • Amount of modpoints recieved for each new post:
  • Period the modpoints stay valid:
  • Base modpoints on karma?:
Last edited by Alfatrion on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
My abandoned (for own reference). mod: Post Rating System (website | screenshots | demo | support)
Alfatrion

Re: [BETA] Post Rating System

Post by Alfatrion »

I noticed that the limitations worked. :oops: I changed the settings so that the demo forum now requires every one to have written 0 post and have bin a member for 0 day.
iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

Can't rate my own posts? Can't rate admin posts? Some demo. Or is there a limitation of one rate per post?
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
Alfatrion

Post by Alfatrion »

You can not vote your own post, because I assume that one is not objective on there own posts. The idea is that other users vote on your post.

You can rate admin posts. There is a feature that the rating (average of all votes) of a post will only be visible afther a number of days when the post is closed for votes. Knowing the rating may influence users. I closed the first admin posts in the database to shows how it looks. When the number of days before a post is closed is enlarged users could, knowing the outcome, change there votes. So posts will be closed (in the db) for voting when the average is shown.

Users can change there own vote as long as long as the voting round has not closed.

I included two users names, because of the feature of not being to vote on ones own posts.
item

Post by item »

thank you
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

Not Found

The requested URL /mods/Post_Rating_System_0_1_1.zip was not found on this server.
When will this be available for download? :D
notsa

Post by notsa »

link for this great mod please :D :D
iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

I noticed I can't rate any of the posts as demo as of my posts, since all posts were already rated at that time (and I noticed demo's posts all had ratings of three somehow) and almost all of the posts were posted by demo.
Alfatrion

Post by Alfatrion »

When I log in with the demo2 account I can vote on multiple post just fine. All the posts get a default (neutral) rating of 3. In the next version the default isn't shown until the voting round is closed to take away the misunderstanding that you can not vote when there are stars shown.

@RedTrinity: I fixed the download link.
iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

Alfatrion wrote:When I log in with the demo2 account I can vote on multiple post just fine. All the posts get a default (neutral) rating of 3. In the next version the default isn't shown until the voting round is closed to take away the misunderstanding that you can not vote when there are stars shown.

@RedTrinity: I fixed the download link.
Can we set the default rating? Because on vBulletin (Which has a rating system in it by default) ratings start with zero or null.
Alfatrion

Post by Alfatrion »

Users currently should view 1/2 stars as a negative rating (like first post, insults), 3 stars as neutral and 4/5 as positive (high qualty). You have hover over the star for the meaning behind the rating.

Yes, both the default rating as the discribtions can be changed by editing two files. The language file contains the meaning, and includes/functions_posts_ratings.php contains the default rating at the top.
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

Thanks for fixing the download file Alfatrion. I am having another problem, trying to open the XML installation file and getting this message in my browser:
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: file:///C:/Users/user/Desktop/Post_Rating_System/Post_Rating_System.xml
Line Number 231, Column 39: <action type="before-add"><![CDA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------^
Any ideas? :S
Alfatrion

Post by Alfatrion »

I'm editing the file manually and I'm bond to make a typo now and then. I'll check this at a later date. Please open the file with a text editor (notepad) instead. You may also like to do this with a well-formed document.

You might want to download 0.2.0. Now the search on topics and viewforum pages indicate the rating (per 1/2 star) vs viewtopic (per 1/10 star).
iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

Alfatrion wrote:I'm editing the file manually and I'm bond to make a typo now and then. I'll check this at a later date. Please open the file with a text editor (notepad) instead. You may also like to do this with a well-formed document.

You might want to download 0.2.0. Now the search on topics and viewforum pages indicate the rating (per 1/2 star) vs viewtopic (per 1/10 star).
Here is a list of XML Errors for your Install File according to w3:

Code: Select all

Line 231, Column 35: "CDA" is not a reserved name.

Line 234, Column 0: marked section end not in marked section declaration.

Line 262, Column 9: end tag for element "find" which is not open.

x6: Line 269, Column 8: end tag for "action" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

Line 269, Column 8: missing marked section end.

Line 231, Column 33: XML Parsing Error: StartTag: invalid element name.

Line 234, Column 14: XML Parsing Error: Sequence ']]>' not allowed in content.
Upload the XML Here to validate: http://validator.w3.org/

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”