Problem With .htaccess

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Jaymie1989
Name: Jaymie

Problem With .htaccess

Post by Jaymie1989 »

Hi,

Im trying to install phpBB RC8 and my website says this
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
I contact my host about this and they said
This is caused by a .htaccess file that is incorrect, and you will need to remove or fix this file your website will work. More detailed information on the errors caused can be found in the logfiles folder on the root of your hosting.

Please note: .htaccess can only be used for controlling mod_rewrite or when used for password protection with .htpaswd. More information on using mod_rewrite can be found here:

http://www.streamlinesupport.net/index. ... how&id=130
So from what my host said its a problem with a .htaccess
I downloaded a new phpBB RC8 and i uploaded it and its the same problem at the start.
Dear creators of Sesame Street,
Kids are still fat. Can I come back now?
Sincerely, Cookie Monster.

View my MODs - Need phpBB help with MODs and Styles? Take a look at my phpBB3 services
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Problem With .htaccess

Post by thecoalman »

Jaymie1989 wrote: So from what my host said its a problem with a .htaccess
I downloaded a new phpBB RC8 and i uploaded it and its the same problem at the start.
That would be a problem with your host being quite anal in the things they allow you to do.
Please note: .htaccess can only be used for controlling mod_rewrite or when used for password protection with .htpaswd. More information on using mod_rewrite can be found here:
That is quite restrictive and if you want my personal opinion pretty stupid too. htacces can be used for many things and the in case of phpbb3 its used to help secure files from unauthorized use. It's not the only thing doing that but layers of security make a difference.

Step1: With your FTP client find the files name .htaccess , they are present in many directories but I don't know exactly which ones. The phpbb3 root folder, cache folder, and the files folder off the top of my head but I know there are others. Rename them htaccess.bak This will disable the protection they provide but also allow you to use phpbb3 on your host.

Step2: Find a host that isn't so restrictive.

Step3: Rename files back to .htaccess :D

There are probably some security concerns doing this, I'm sure a phpbb team member could elaborate. There may be some extra steps you might want to take so wait before taking my advice.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Yep, find a new host would be the best option.

I'd suggest [removed], if it isn't out of your hosting budget [removed]
Last edited by Techie-Micheal on Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed url and related information
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

The .htaccess files are there to add additional security, but they are not necessary. That said, you may well run in to other issues with other applications using .htaccess files for more than just rewriting and password-protection on your current host. It is up to you if you want to switch hosts.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
tommag

Post by tommag »

Hi

I'm new to all this and trying to set up phpbb3 on streamline.net is becoming a nightmare. They refuse to support third party software and I can't access the install/index.php from my browser . The error log says this:
[Wed Dec 19 17:57:10 2007] [alert] [client [removed]] /home/fhlinux160/i/informenglish.co.uk/user/htdocs/phpBB3/.htaccess: order not allowed here

I've followed the phpbb3 set up instructions about permissions for config.php and I've hunted for the .htaccess files and deleted them.
Any help would be appreciated

cheers

tommag
Last edited by Techie-Micheal on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the IP to protect the innocent
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Sounds like there's still a .htaccess file in place in the root of the phpBB3 folder. Check there.
Frogmen

Post by Frogmen »

Hello, I have the same problem with (.htaccess). Do you solve it?

I delete all .htaccess files and I still have the same error while converting to phpBB3.

rgds and Happy Chirstmas to everybody.
Frogmen
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

You get phpBB3/.htaccess: order not allowed here?
Frogmen

Post by Frogmen »

Not Exactly, this is my error page:

500 Internal server error

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at frogmen.webpal.info Port 80

I send two msgs to my server administrator and their aswerd was:

:arrow: Hello,

Thank you for contacting our Technical Support Department.
The Internal Server Error is caused by incorrect parameters in the .htaccess file, and i can suggest you to delete this file. Also in order to install phpBB3, you have to create a php.ini file in the phpBB3's install directory and add the following lines:

ini_set('mbstring.http_input', 'pass');
ini_set('mbstring.http_output', 'pass');
register_globals = Off

Please have in mind that phpBB3 is a 3rd party software and we don't offer support for it.

Best Regards,
James

And second msg after deleting all .htaccess files and creating php.ini and also deleting the data base, deleting all phpBB3 files in my server and installing from the beginning a new phpBB3 forum and failing in the same spot:

:arrow: Hello,

I can't read the error log at all, but if you are getting Internal Server Error again, i'm sure that there is still .htaccess file.

Best Regards,
James

Thks for your kind assistance.
rgds
Frogmen
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

The support tech should be able to read the error log. The fact that he can't raises some eyebrows for me. Do you have access to your own error log?
Frogmen

Post by Frogmen »

I don't know how to do that, sorry.

rgds
Frogmen
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

In which case, try to ask your host if one is even kept. Some shared hosting providers do not keep error logs for "security reason", and enable error suppression, which may be a possibility in your situation.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
WMCMoo

Post by WMCMoo »

i had this same problem

you have to delete every .htaccess file .. depending on what ftp software you use it may sometimes be hidden ? when deleted it was all ok for me !
.mOo . cOw.
looplander61

Post by looplander61 »

deleting all .htaccess files does allowing you to install phpbb3 on streamline... but is it safe do so?

This installs on streamline windows server account without any problem but not on a streamline linux account. Switching platforms within the acp is an option. Hassle.
WMCMoo

Post by WMCMoo »

im not sure if it is safe or not ?

please can someone confirm that it is safe (or not) to remove the .htaccess file
.mOo . cOw.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”