Topics disappear if you delete a user

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Faejon

Topics disappear if you delete a user

Post by Faejon »

Is anyone else seen this happen?

If a user has replied to a topic and then you delete that user the topics disappear from the view forum page.

Can anyone else verify this?
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster
Battle Cry of Terris-Thule

an Everquest guild
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

In phpBB 1.x you used to have the choice of hard delete and soft delete. This did have to do with this problem.

I suppose in phpBB 2 the equivalent to soft deleting is disabling the user. I don't think it is that illogical to remove (or not display) all posts by a user if you completely remove that user. As far as the board is concerned, that user does not exist, so who wrote the post? Alternative would be to introduce a pseudo-user "Deleted User", or something, but how much use would that be?

All I'm trying to say is, I don't think this is a bug, it's just designed this way. If you want to retain the posts by a user, disable their account, not completely remove it.
Faejon

Post by Faejon »

Eelke wrote: All I'm trying to say is, I don't think this is a bug, it's just designed this way. If you want to retain the posts by a user, disable their account, not completely remove it.

Eelke I think you are missing my point. I don't want to retain the posts by a deleted user. Say there is an ongoing topic that several users have posted replies to. If I delete one of the users that have posted a reply then the entire topic disappears from the forum view.

It's not just the reply the deleted user has posted by the whole topic. I do not think this was intentional. I would hope that just posts made by the deleted user are removed. Not ever topic he has ever posted in.
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster
Battle Cry of Terris-Thule

an Everquest guild
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Ah, OK, sorry about that. Then I suppose you have a bug on your hands and you should dive into the bug tracker at sourceforge.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”