Communities that remove fairly new users

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
md16185
Name: Mike DeNeut

Communities that remove fairly new users

Post by md16185 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:10 pm

I have seen a variety of forums, than ban ppl for posing too often, or just for being fairly new, even if they don't post inappropriate pics or flood with non-existant links.. That looks to me like they don't want users.

Another pet peeve of mine, is when people are "too busy" to create a profile...
I am always looking to participate in cool, active, online forums/communities..
Check out a cool forum!
I have a blog, subscribe to the RSS

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: Communities that remove fairly new users

Post by Jim_UK » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:12 pm

It does seem strange that anyone would ban a user for being "new" - as you say just like they do not want new users.
I wonder if the failure to complete the profile may be due to them not understanding that there is more to the profile than that they entered at registration. It may be that their only interest in discussion forums lies with the one they have just joined and so may not be familiar with their usage.
My son has the "country flags" mod on his site and it makes it look as though he has vast numbers of members from Afghanistan as that is the first on the list.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:30 pm

I hardly ever bother with profiles. Most of my users do not bother with them either, or fill them in with humorous infomation, rather than the true stuff.

md16185

Post by md16185 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:00 pm

that's kinda lame, I would think ya would want ppl to get to know ya...
Check out a cool forum!

The Awesomest Dude

Post by The Awesomest Dude » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:10 pm

md16185 wrote:I have seen a variety of forums, than ban ppl for posing too often, or just for being fairly new, even if they don't post inappropriate pics or flood with non-existant links.. That looks to me like they don't want users.
For real? I've never known that to happen but that's pretty lame. If they don't want users, they should turn off new registrations. They shouldn't be doing that to people.

Which site(s) did that, BTW, if I might ask?
md16185 wrote:Another pet peeve of mine, is when people are "too busy" to create a profile...
Some people have various reasons for not filling out certain things.

On my board (which can be viewed on my signature), I have found that most people fill in the Location, the Gender, and sometimes the Occupation and/or Interests.

The Birthday one came from a MOD which I couldn't get to do right for a long time. I recently got it fixed and a few people have since started putting that.

Website cannot be filled out at Registration, on my board. I installed a MOD that hides it to keep spammers out. Of course I'm still having problems with spammers but I'm about to install something I DL'ed here the other day that will HOPEFULLY put a stop to that. :)

The Name and Description are also not functioning at the moment although I know exactly what is wrong with them, I just have to find the time to finish fixing it...

Anyway, but then on some other sites, there are many people who don't fill out any of it. I guess it just kinda depends on what they want to do, LOL People can be that way. :)
I will gladly help anybody with any PhpBB Modifications that I have used. (My board can be accessed by clicking here. You are also welcome to post there any time you like.)
PhpBB helped me when I needed it and I would be glad to give something back to the community.

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:06 pm

I wouldn't do this, since it stops the community growing.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

md16185

Post by md16185 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:24 pm

Is that why the discussion forums is for things to talk about, not just general or ranndom stuff, or like 3-4 topics on multiple things..
Check out a cool forum!

webmastermarty

Post by webmastermarty » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:27 pm

I guess they're just scared of SPAM, or something... That's silly though, then they wonder why there forum is inactive in the end lol.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Jim_UK wrote:My son has the "country flags" mod on his site and it makes it look as though he has vast numbers of members from Afghanistan as that is the first on the list.
The first flag should be "Not Selected". :-P That's what I did when I wrote my own, and it works well. I use the built-in "spacer.gif" that comes with subSilver as the substitute flag graphic for those that have not selected one.

Back on topic; I have never seen a board that deletes new users. I have myself written code that deletes new users that never activate, but that's different. Anyone that activates their account remains as a user unless they spam the board.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 am

This could probably be due to the fact that they are not too bothered about the growth of their community and they wish to avoid spam on their forum.

Ishimaru Chiaki
Name: Caroline

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:10 am

Deleting new users in a blind way is not correct. But on the other side, keeping users (even if they aren't bots and are activated) who don't post any message and who don't come back again is not better because it gives a wrong idea of the community's actual size.

Personally, what I do :
- If the user has the "spammer profile" (his timezone is set to GMT-12 and his email is weird) => deleted right away (I had only one spammer since I installed the RAC MOD)
- If the user doesn't have the "spammer profile" => deleted after a few months if he doesn't show himself after his registration.
Find my phpBB3 and GIMP tutorials on http://ishimaru.pingveno.net (New address)
My DeviantArt gallery

The Awesomest Dude

Post by The Awesomest Dude » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:17 am

That's a good point but sometimes it's not quite that simple...

On my board, many people have never posted but they PM each other (and/or me) and stuff like that. Before my board grew it was really just my personal board. That was really all I ever wanted it to be. Of course I'm pretty much famous on the Internet, so I should have known that board would grow. (It's actually still brand new, BTW. It will probably grow quite a bit over the next year or so.)

But then, I was having major problems with spam accounts, for a while. I just have installed a very nice Anti-Spam MOD that I got off this site. And it appears to have 100% WORKED! (You can read more about all that here. I've got to find that page so I can thank the creator, and post a link to that MOD on my site, in case any other Webmasters are having the same problem...)

And now the Memberlist has like 1366 users, but about 300 ~ 400 of those are spammers. So there are really only about 1000 or so actual users.

I could probably go through and delete them all, if I wanted to. It would be a good idea. I'll probably do that sometime in the future. Right now I'm just glad I've stopped them from registering anymore. There's been 6 accounts created since then, and those were all real people.

That's the main thing that's changed. Registrations have gone way, way down. But then again, if all they are is spambots, who needs 'em? LOL
Last edited by Anon on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post links to your own site
I will gladly help anybody with any PhpBB Modifications that I have used. (My board can be accessed by clicking here. You are also welcome to post there any time you like.)
PhpBB helped me when I needed it and I would be glad to give something back to the community.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 pm

The Awesomest Dude wrote:Of course I'm pretty much famous on the Internet
OT(sorry)
Do you think I could trouble you for your autograph? :D

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Yeah, I think I missed something about you being famous...

Anyway, I don't delete new users. But I do prune my forum every so often to keep it neat, clean, and tidy.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Return to “General Discussion”