Changing accepted file extensions for attachements?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jennifer dent

Changing accepted file extensions for attachements?

Post by jennifer dent »

This is what the support documentation offers concerning Attachment setting:
3.4.6. Attachment Settings
MennoniteHobbit

If you allow your users to post attachments, it is important to be able to control your board's attachments settings. Here, you can configure the main settings for attachments and the associated special categories. When you are done configuring your board's attachments settings, click Submit.

Attachment Settings

Allow attachments: If you want attachments to be enabled on your board, select Yes.

Allow attachments in private messages: If you want to enable attachments being posted in private messages, select Yes.

Upload directory: The directory that attachments will be uploaded to. The default directory is /files/.

Attachment display order: The order that attachments will be displayed, based on the time the attachment was posted.

Total attachment quota: The maximum drive space that will be available for all of your board's attachments. If you want this quota to be unlimited, use a value of 0.

Maximum filesize: The maximum filesize of an attachment allowed. If you want this value to be unlimited, use a value of 0.

Maximum filesize messaging: The maximum drive space that will be available per user for attachments posted in private messages. If you want this quota to be unlimited, use a value of 0.

Max attachments per post: The maximum number of attachments that can be posted in a post. If you want this value to be unlimited, use a value of 0.

Max attachments per message: The maximum number of attachments that can be posted in a private message. If you want this value to be unlimited, use a value of 0.

Enable secure downloads: If you want to be able to only allow attachments to be available to specific IP addresses or hostnames, this option should be enabled. You can further configure secure downloads once you have enabled them here; the secure downloads-specific settings are located in the Define allowed IPs/Hostnames and Remove or un-exclude allowed IPs/hostnames forms at the bottom of the page.

Allow/Deny list: This allows you to configure the default behaviour when secure downloads are enabled. A whitelist (Allow) only allows IP addresses or hostnames to access downloads, while a blacklist (Deny) allows all users except those who have an IP address or hostname located on the blacklist. This setting only applies if secure downloads are enabled.

Allow empty referrer: Secure downloads are based on referrers.This setting controls if downloads are allowed for those omitting the referrer information. This setting only applies if secure downloads are enabled.
There is nothing there that says where or how to change the accepted file extensions. As the Administrator of my board I would like to upload both .htm and .doc (in addition to excel spreadsheets) files in our staff forums however when I attempted to do this I receive an error saying these file extensions were not permitted.

Where/How Can this feature be altered? Thank you.
Last edited by ric323 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
Checkout the new set of Bible study tools http://www.NeXtBible.org all free!! 8)
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Changing accepted file extensions for attachements?

Post by ric323 »

The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
jennifer dent

Post by jennifer dent »

I guess I should have read a little farther, it would be helpful if this was in the attachment settings within the ACP (or the least a link to "edit accepted/allowable file extension")

In the link that you provided it was difficult y l ascertain WHERE to locate the proper place within the ACP to find the file extension section. I did however finally find it.

The problem now is the doc file extension IS on the list but it still returns an error of "The extension doc is not allowed." Is there a different permission setting I need to change? I can use the upload for images but not docs??

Thanks again for the help
Checkout the new set of Bible study tools http://www.NeXtBible.org all free!! 8)
JohnyDrama

Post by JohnyDrama »

1.) Go to the Administration Control Panel
2.) Click on the "Posting Tab" at the top of the page (it ligns up a little to the right of the spot directly under the second "B" of the "PHPBB" Banner in the upper left corner of the Administration Control Panel
3.) Click the "Manage Extension Groups"under the "Attachments" menu on the left hand side
4.) Locate the "Documents" row on the list that appears and click the green gear icon to edit the options (do NOT hit the red "X", this will delete the group and you will have to manually re-add all of extensions currently clumped in that group)
5.) Check the "Allowed" box and then the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page and you will now be able to attach ".doc" files (and any other
6.) Smile and relax.

Let me know if this doesn't do what you want.

-JD
jennifer dent

Post by jennifer dent »

Thank you thank you thank you thank you :) Much obliged, i'll have to re-read the documentation again to see if I possibly missed it :) You are a lifesaver!!!!!
sand_danser

Post by sand_danser »

I've just logged in to say thanks to JohnnyDrama this helped me out 8-)

THANX!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”