Approval MOD

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65%
Very Good
25%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 20

uncle.f

Re: Approval MOD

Post by uncle.f »

RMcGirr83 wrote:By hand as I don't trust ezMod.
Shame, I do. And I did everything to make sure EasyMOD processes the Approval MOD corectly.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

so....how did it go? did it work..? ;)

RMcGirr83 wrote:
uncle.f wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:That is exactly what I am talking about. Sorry about the pic, but yes I am logged in as Admin and when viewing a forum I can see that posts need to be approved but not when viewing the index.
Try installing the contrib/scripts/admin_sync_all.php script and run it from ACP to synchronize every post in all of your forums. If that does not help, then install contrib/scripts/admin_approval_reset.php script and run it from ACP followed by the 'Sync All' script (this will reset all posts approval status and resynchronize your forums). Afterwards try making a post that requires approval and see if you will get it on your index.
Okay.
If none of the above works, then it's either bad Approval MOD installation (how did you install it by the way?) or a conflict with another MOD that modifies the index.php page.
By hand as I don't trust ezMod.
modernmom

Post by modernmom »

When trying to update permissions for a user, I get this error:
Couldn't update private forum permissions

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' 0, 1)' at line 2

INSERT INTO phpbb_auth_access (forum_id, group_id, auth_mod, auth_approve) VALUES (74, , 0, 1)

Line : 451
File : admin_ug_auth.php
What can I do?

Thanks!
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

modernmom wrote:When trying to update permissions for a user, I get this error:
Couldn't update private forum permissions

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax
What can I do?
Your SQL query that was modified by the Aproval MOD installation does not work properly. 99.99% chance it is caused by mistake in editing your admin_ug_auth.php file. Also could be due to conflict with another MOD but rather unlikely for that particular file.

How did you install the Approval MOD? Have you edited all the files by hand or have you used EasyMOD?
modernmom

Post by modernmom »

EasyMod...
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

modernmom wrote:EasyMod...
To avoid this questions "ping pong" please see the Approval MOD FAQ, question 18.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

i got in this problem that they r saying is approval mod

problem

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1&t=676495

i had the approval mod installed by a pro in phpinstallers named RMCGRill
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

AcidRain wrote:i got in this problem that they r saying is approval mod

You are experiencing a conflict between two MODs that changed the same bit of code in your viewforum.php file. I can try and help you if you send me your viewforum.php file as well as the complete answers to the questionnaire that you can find in the Approval MOD FAQ, question #18. Email all of that directly to me. You will find my e-mail in the Approval MOD FAQ as well.
tleah

Post by tleah »

Are you going to update this mod for php version 3? Thanks.
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

tleah wrote:Are you going to update this mod for php version 3? Thanks.
Firstly, phpBB 3.0 includes some (limited) features of the Approval MOD out of the box called moderation queue. At the moment I have neither time nor incentive to develop such a MOD for phpBB 3.0.
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

AcidRain wrote:i got in this problem that they r saying is approval mod problem http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1&t=676495
After looking through your viewforum.php file I found the source of your problem. The problem is neither with the Approval MOD itself, nor it is caused by a MOD conflict. It looks like it is a human error done while editing viewforum.php file.

/rant mode on

How do I know it is a human error? Nowhere in the Approval MOD installation script there is a directive that removes the code which has gone missing. It obviously had disappeared after the SQL query in viewforum.php was edited by hand (or by installing some other MOD -- anyway it is nothing to do with the Approval MOD).

It may sound like I am preaching (so what if I am) but that would never happened if EasyMOD was used to install the Approval MOD. Same type of problems keep occurring all the time -- typos and mistakes in manual files editing. It seems that writing FAQs does not really help much so I am going to say this one more (last) time:

USE EASYMOD TO INSTALL THE APPROVAL MOD.

The Approval MOD is very large MOD and it is VERY easy to make a mistake while editing so many files in so many places. The Approval MOD has been tested MANY times to be 100% compatible/friendly with EasyMOD. Also, It is impossible for me to help if I have to search and reverse engineer somebody else's typos and mistakes in phpBB files every time.

And while we are on it, another thing that "fascinates" me is how people seem to expect and sometimes even demand solutions to their phpBB/MODs problems from the MODs authors. I am not saying it is true in this particular case, but often people go as far as blaming the authors when something doesn't work how they expect it even though they did not fully follow the instructions provided by MOD authors. Posting things like "Your MOD has a problem" or "Your MOD broke my forum" which gives the MOD bad publicity and scares off other people when in reality it may be nothing to do with the Approval MOD code itself. Please do remember that all MODs here at phpBB are FREE and should be used at your own risk and with understanding that if something does not work it is often your own responsibility to solve it.

I hate to say all of that but here is the thing: if keep saying it I start looking like some Mr. I-am-so-clever-don't-you-even-dare-asking-a-question type of person with an attitude (whom I hate myself). Now if I don't say anything and just keep taking bullsh*t what is the point of doing something for others (for free!) if all you get back is "your work is crap" (even though I know it is not). So please have respect and appreciate time and efforts of other people when receiving something for free.

There. I said it. Thank you for listening.

/rant mode off

As to the problem above, the solution is quite trivial. Find the following line in the viewforum.php:

Code: Select all

ORDER BY $sql_approve_order, p2.post_time DESC
and replace it with the following line:

ORDER BY t.topic_type DESC, $sql_approve_order, p2.post_time DESC
And one more thing: I would not trust the rest of MOD installation but whatever works for you.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Guess I should say something as it is I who installed this mod for him (for free too btw). Anyway, according to the mod install instructions

#
#-----[ FIND ]---------------------------------------------
#
$sql
FROM
WHERE
AND
AND
AND
AND
AND t.topic_type <> " . POST_ANNOUNCE
#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]-----
#
// sql modified by approval mod
#
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]-----------------
#
p2.post_time
#
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD ]-----
#
, p2.post_approve
#
#
= t.topic_last_post_id
#
#-----[ IN-LINE REPLACE WITH ]-----
#
= $sql_approve_where
#
#-----[ FIND ]---------------------------------------------
#
$limit_topics_time
ORDER BY t.topic_type
#
#
t.topic_last_post_id DESC
#
#-----[ IN-LINE REPLACE WITH ]-----
#
$sql_approve_order
no where in either these instructions nor in a vanilla phpbb is there this in the sql

p2.post_time DESC
Not sure where that came from but yeah an error was made, so shoot me. What do you want for nothing.

/offtopic
PS EasyMod is not some panacea for installing mods...especially if mods have been installed that alter the files to begin with.

PPS if EasyMod was a panacea, then how would you expect a person to be able to fix their code if they don't even know what it is they are looking at in the first place. If EasyMod does not complete the process then the person trying to install a mod will most certainly visit the thread from where they got the mod to begin with.

PPPS Acid I do not appreciate you dragging my name into this, especially since I assisted you over at
phpbbinstallers.net and installed this mod for you (by hand)....for the grand sum total of zip.

Et finis, au revoir!!
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

RMcGirr83 wrote: no where in either these instructions nor in a vanilla phpbb is there this in the sql

p2.post_time DESC
That is true, I only included it in my "fix" because it has already been there.
It could have been a piece of another MOD so I left it there as I did not have any information what other MODs were installed (although I asked AcidRain about it).
RMcGirr83 wrote: Not sure where that came from but yeah an error was made, so shoot me. What do you want for nothing.
Let me make it straight (I guess I did not make it very clear in my last post). In no way all that I wrote above was directed towards you and you alone. I know exactly how it feels when you do something for free and get something else than "thank you" in return. What I wrote was not an attempt to discredit your work. An error was made, so what -- we are all human. The point is that it happens way to often with many different people and I just got tired of researching "problems with my MOD" when in reality they are something else. So I snapped. I guess people who do not understand how free and open source works spoil the whole experience for those who care.

Here is a little story. In the last 3 years or so I tried to report a few bugs to the developers of PHP. Almost every single time it was a pain to "convince" the PHP developers that it is actually a bug that I am reporting. Sometimes they would dismiss my report and then a year later acknowledge it because somebody had experienced similar issue in different circumstances. Those guys have some attitude, let me tell you. And I can understand why - because of hundreds of bogus bug reports they probably get on a weekly basis from people who have no clue. In the end that attitude completely stopped me from reporting new PHP bugs I discovered. Now it seems I am becoming one of those guys myself which I do not want but forced to to be.
RMcGirr83 wrote: PS EasyMod is not some panacea for installing mods...especially if mods have been installed that alter the files to begin with.
Absolutely agree, however, if you are comfortable enough editing files by hand why not using EasyMOD as an effective editing tool. The way I use EasyMOD is quite... well... easy and effective. I try to install a MOD with EasyMOD and if I get any "FIND" errors I go to those code points and see what is causing the conflict. Afterwards I alter the "FIND" directive accordingly (not the phpBB files!) and re-run EasyMOD. This way you only need to resolve the actual conflicts and the rest of the installation takes seconds.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Uncle F, it was hard to under stand the part after the "Mr.", but i think i got the idea. i really appreciate your Mod but i was not able to install it using easy mod in first place. I am trying to see if i can fix it using your code. thanx

RMCGrill , I am really sorry but i never meant to drag you into this. but look what if uncle f later asked who installed it and wanted to contact ....any way i scqeel the name for what i thought was right. not everybody can afford to get 1 free mod installed for $$, we all gotta eat you know :) but please dont ignor me because of that in phpinstallers.net

i really love both these websites as they have been very helpful to me..

Thanx every one and i will let you know how it goes
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

uncle.f wrote:
AcidRain wrote:i got in this problem that they r saying is approval mod

You are experiencing a conflict between two MODs that changed the same bit of code in your viewforum.php file. I can try and help you if you send me your viewforum.php file as well as the complete answers to the questionnaire that you can find in the Approval MOD FAQ, question #18. Email all of that directly to me. You will find my e-mail in the Approval MOD FAQ as well.
thanx ubcle f. , it worked, thanx for giving all that time to sort out the matter.

there is another thing i want to confirm, i am also facing a problem, not sure why, its when ever i try to c find all posts by a member/user no thing happens( a new forum page opens with no posts showing.. can this be relayted to the approval mod installation or something as if i use advanced search mode to find a user nAme I can see the total posts by them..? :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”