Protect phpbb3 styles from theft.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
dnb

Protect phpbb3 styles from theft.

Post by dnb »

Hello,

is there a way to protect my forum styles from being cloned, meaning is it possible to make my files undownloadable.

Merry Cristmas to each and all
John.
zeroK
Former Team Member

Re: Protect phpbb3 styles from theft.

Post by zeroK »

You could for instance protect your template files with a .htaccess file in your "template" folder that contains this code:

Code: Select all

<Files "*.html">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>
Although, to be honest, this only makes it hard to clone a style and doesn't really prevent it since people could still simply take a look at the resulting output :-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
Jason_A

Post by Jason_A »

I have a mod in progress that will disable right click - so people won't be able to steal images ect. although this doesn't prevent it all.

Regards Jason :)
Free computer help & support - http://www.thecomputerforumz.com

Need your board install/upgrading? Need a mod installed? Then I'll happily help you for a small fee. Just PM me!

Merry Christmas to everyone!
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Jason_A wrote:I have a mod in progress that will disable right click - so people won't be able to steal images ect. although this doesn't prevent it all.

I'd personally consider it a waste of time, though :-|
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
Jason_A

Post by Jason_A »

Oh well - It could come handy. I am also working on a "Post Thank You" mod which will allow members to click a "Thanks" button by another members post and then the thanks will show under that. Why? ... well you may ask -
One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.

There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.

Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.

Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.

This mod will fix all those problems... This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.

Free computer help & support - http://www.thecomputerforumz.com

Need your board install/upgrading? Need a mod installed? Then I'll happily help you for a small fee. Just PM me!

Merry Christmas to everyone!
dnb

Post by dnb »

i appreciate the replys, my crappy host won't allow .htaccess files. if anyone knows of another way then please help.

john.
libralion

Post by libralion »

Jason_A wrote:I have a mod in progress that will disable right click - so people won't be able to steal images ect. although this doesn't prevent it all.

Hi Jason,

Any progress on the disable rightclick mod? I am anxiously waiting for it.
Thanks. :)

Johanna
Last edited by libralion on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
skinner

Post by skinner »

hi

@jason , i m waiting your Thanks Mod :D , all forums shud have this :D

thanks alot for thanks mod

Regards
Skinner
Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

Anyone with sufficient knowledge to create a style from the output HTML will have absolutely no difficulties with copying the images :) I can disable JavaScript (which is what the right-click protection is based on) in two mouse clicks, get a list of all images on a page in another 2, the CSS is another two clicks... it's not worth the effort, honestly.

Also, keep in mind that disabling the right-click on a page will be seriously annoying. Imagine someone trying to copy a hyperlink, the path to an image, or someone who wishes to download an image posted by another user. They would all be affected.

The fact is that as soon as the user sees your style or forum, the content (page, images, CSS-code, etc.) is already on their computer.
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag
libralion

Post by libralion »

Vic D'Elfant wrote:Anyone with sufficient knowledge to create a style from the output HTML will have absolutely no difficulties with copying the images :) I can disable JavaScript (which is what the right-click protection is based on) in two mouse clicks, get a list of all images on a page in another 2, the CSS is another two clicks... it's not worth the effort, honestly.

Also, keep in mind that disabling the right-click on a page will be seriously annoying. Imagine someone trying to copy a hyperlink, the path to an image, or someone who wishes to download an image posted by another user. They would all be affected.

The fact is that as soon as the user sees your style or forum, the content (page, images, CSS-code, etc.) is already on their computer.
That may all be so, but nevertheless I always found it very useful. And 99% of the computer users know nothing about disabling javascript etc. And if somebody is annoyed, well so be it. It is much more annoying to find that lots of people take the images etc. from your website and put them on their own website. If you disable rightclick(without a message being displayed) people know that it is not the idea to grab things from your site.

Johanna
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

If I was going to steal a bunch of style images, I would simply go to my Temporary Internet Files and copy out the whole batch there... no need to steal them one at a time.
Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

libralion wrote:And 99% of the computer users know nothing about disabling javascript etc.
The 1% that does know about it are those which...
Vic D'Elfant wrote:Anyone with sufficient knowledge to create a style from the output HTML will have absolutely no difficulties with copying the images
;)
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag
ErDrRon

Post by ErDrRon »

Jason_A wrote:Oh well - It could come handy. I am also working on a "Post Thank You" mod which will allow members to click a "Thanks" button by another members post and then the thanks will show under that. Why? ... well you may ask -
One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.

There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.

Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.

Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.

This mod will fix all those problems... This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.

Any progress on this MOD?

Thanks,
Ron
ErDrRon (Yes, I really am an ER Doc) ;-)

Author of the Admin Voting, Retroactive Signature and Edit Post Date MODs. [Unofficial MODs, of course]
Visit my phpBB Support Forum with over 90 installed MODs.
Get inexpensive yet great webhosting at PokedYou.com.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

zeroK wrote:
I'd personally consider it a waste of time, though :-|
Agree, AFAIK you can't even do it with FF. Only works on IE and then it really doesn't matter... Fact is if it can be seen it can be copied, that applies to everthing I have ever come across on any medium including HTML , Images, video etc. Simply put if you want the public to be able to view your work you cannot prevent it from being copied. The only thing that has come close is BD+ protected Blu-Ray discs and they are teetering on the edge...

Only thing your doing is annoying the user, many people use right click on pages for more reasons than to steal stuff.

Having said that since the user is only getting the final HTML reverse engineering all the templates is going to be quite a task to begin with...
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
macgruder

Post by macgruder »

There is no way to truly protect any client side processed data. By definition the browser needs to read it and if the browser can read it so can anyone. Don't publish your stuff on the web is the only real way :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”