[FINAL] Auto group

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Hi Niels.

I don't think I quite understand how this mod should work.

I installed the latest version (I think), 1.0.5, and after that I am able to see in the admin cp that I have the required fields to make a hidden group called Everyone and set it to the 0 posts, and then I choose the "Users automatically added when posting" option.

As I understand then this would create a group which should include all my members right?

Then I go to the Group panel on my board and look up the Everyone group I just created for details. Guess what? There are NO members included in that group! The group Everyone is empty.. the only thing showing there is saying "you are the moderator of this group" and nothing else.

Why is that? Anybody else with the same problem? I thought the group user panel should show automatically all the members I have in my board since I set the post count to zero for Everyone Group, or am I missing something here?

I have double and tripple chcked my file modifications and everything is according to your instructions at the how-to file...

Would appreciate some help..

Thx.
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Hmm.. it seems as if I have to manually add members to the everyone group in spite of the fact that the group is set to 0 posts.. I really don't understand the meaning of the mod then... Because adding members to a created group and letting the users inherit the groups permissions is of course possible even without this mod.

I hope someone can soon clarify things for me a little, I'm fumbling in the dark here!
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Well I have now tested some more and made other groups as well and set the amount of the posts in those group to different settings and then made some forums "PRIVATE" and then went back to the group permission page in admin panel and chose those forums to be viewed and posted in after 200 posts.. but first of all nothing happend, and second of all none of those created groups are having any members.. I really am pulling my hair out here, please help! I really need this mod to work!

One thing is for sure, my user group table is not being updated of some reason in spite of the mod installed, but I don't understand why.

Anybody??
GX

Post by GX »

if a new user registers, that person should then fall under the everyone group.

if you just created this group, none of the old users will be under your everyone group. you would have to manually add them in if you want that, but new users will automatically be under the everyone group as long as you have auto group box checked off.

i do have a question though, i got this installed but how do you prevent someone from entering a forum? i go to permissions for the forum and for the group and i dont see any options except to make them a moderator or not a moderator. where's the option to see individual forum options based on what group this person is in?

:?:
GX

Post by GX »

nm, im dumb. i forgot to make the forum itself private :oops:
LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain »

Also, as soon as the memeber makes another post, their group membership is re-calculated, and then they will join the group.
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Ok but it still doesn't work for me because I just tested it again by creating a new group. And then set this group's posting amount to minimum 200.

Now the members having posted more than 200 posts should be able to view those forums that are configured to be seen by that group right? Well not in my case! So I still suspect something fishy here..

GX to answer your question:
In the same page where you see the options moderator or not moderator, in the botton of that page you shoule see a link saying "advanced mode". Enter that, and you will see a page.

Before you can prevent people of going to a forum, you should have set that forums permission to "private", hence not "reg" or "all" (you do that in "forum admin --> permissions" for the specific forum.

When you have set that forum to "private", then, you can in your group permissin page (advanced mode of course) configure what permission sets you want to have for your forum you just made private. You can let users of that group view, read, post, reply and so on. Then all your group members would inherit those rights/limitations.

So the real key here is setting your forum to private and go to the advanced user permission mode.

Hope that helps. Me, I am still having problems with getting the mod work!
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

LifeIsPain.. that does not happen in my case!
I created a test user, posted some, and he is not included in the Everyone group either upon registration or by posting.

Then I set his post amount to 230, testing my other group that has a minimum post amount of 200, again made more postings with that but that user will not be included in that group and none of the permissions set to that private forum is inherited by that user..

This is really annoying since I'm not even getting any error messages! Everything should be working except for the fact that the user group does not seem to be updated..... :(
GX

Post by GX »

try reinstalling the mod. i had to do it twice to get it working. the first time, there are a few inline adds that needed to be added which i added in the wrong place. it didnt' give an error, but my groups didnt work automatically. try that and see, you never know.
LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain »

I think there was a problem in install then.

Just to make sure, set that post count to 199 and post and see if you make the group. Also, are you using the newest version?
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

LifeIsPain, I just did that.. set the count to 199 and posted one more and nothing happend!

I'll try reinstalling and see what happens.. very odd.

But to see that I have understood this correctly:
None of my old members will automatically be added to any of the groups I would make after installing this mod then? And there is no way adding the old members to the different made groups other than that of doing it manually? Cause I was hoping that all the old members would also automatically inherit all the settings..

And the script is supposed to work so that all the new registered members are automatically added to the Everyone group?
GX

Post by GX »

yup and yup
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Ok thx GX! Reinstalling now..
Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Ok now I reinstalled the whole thing and things got a little bit better.. now after testing I can see that new members are automatically added to the Everyone group and also the group with the permissions set to the certain amount of posts works too...

But, now there are some other problems. The most important one being that when a member unsubscribes from a group I have put them there (an open group) and then tries to resubscribe, gets this error:

Code: Select all

No email address set

DEBUG MODE

Line : 169
File : /usr/home/intenseboard_com/public_html/includes/emailer.php
I don't understand what joining an open group have anything to do with the emailer.php... so no one can actually join any open groups, unless I make a group and then everybody will automatically be included since they are already included in the Everyone group. Hence they can unsubscribe but not subscribe!

Any ideas?

(The problem has nothing to do with SMTP since that thing is off.)
Niels Chr. Denmark

Post by Niels Chr. Denmark »

Carpe Diem wrote: Hmm.. it seems as if I have to manually add members to the everyone group in spite of the fact that the group is set to 0 posts.. I really don't understand the meaning of the mod then... Because adding members to a created group and letting the users inherit the groups permissions is of course possible even without this mod.

I hope someone can soon clarify things for me a little, I'm fumbling in the dark here!

I haven't explained this before, so you migth have a point..

in admin panel, you can specify the ammount of post required - in your case 0 for "everyone", after this is done, you should pay attention to the 3 new fields
the first is a option to enable if you would like you users to be added automatically when register/posting/deleteing posts

the 2. is if you would like instantly to update users into the group, so all users meeting the required posts are member of the group

the 3. option is if you would like to delete exisitng users (already in the group, witch does not confirm to the amount of posts specifyed)

any compination of thes 3 options may ofcouse be used the last 2 options only affect when changing the group post count
Earth should spin a litle slower, then there would be 28H/dayImage

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”