phpBB3 won't recognize my MySQL server

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Fenag

phpBB3 won't recognize my MySQL server

Post by Fenag » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:20 pm

I'm trying to install a phpBB3 forum on a server mounted by myself. I put Debian Linux with apache on it, already with PHP, and today I finished mounting the MySQL server. I created a database on the server and a user to access that database. The server is running and everything seems to be fine.

However when I start phpBB installation, in the requirements part, it says

MySQL Unavailable

Whereas in fact it is available, enabled and running.

This is the first webhost home-made server I'm making and everything was going alright till this small problem. Could anyone help me out there with this issue?

Kaitlyn

Re: phpBB3 won't recognize my MySQL server

Post by Kaitlyn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:42 pm

apt-get install php5-mysql

or

apt-get install php4-mysql

~K

Aubs010

Post by Aubs010 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Have you enabled MySQL in php.ini (or the linux variant)? - On a windows box:
extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll

I would imagine Linux would be similar.

Aubs

Fenag

Post by Fenag » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:17 am

Hi I installed php5-mysql and it keeps saying there is no MySQL support.

I'll try to find out which php.ini file is that and where is it in Linux. Thanks for your help.

zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:25 am

Have you restarted Apache after installing that package?
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

Aubs010

Post by Aubs010 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:47 am

Fenag wrote:Hi I installed php5-mysql and it keeps saying there is no MySQL support.

I'll try to find out which php.ini file is that and where is it in Linux. Thanks for your help.
Do let us know how you get on. There's so many posts where solutions are never confirmed!

Aubs

Fenag

Post by Fenag » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi again.

My php.ini file is located in /etc/php5/cli.

Actually I have another php.ini file in /etc/php4, so I suppose I have php4 and php5 installed?? Anyway phpBB says my php version is higher than 4.3.3, so he's probably using and reading php5 files, including /etc/php5/cli, am I right?

I've installed php5-mysql and nothing seemed to happen, and yes I have restarted apache after installing that package.

I read something in phpfreaks.com about php5 not having MySQL support enabled by default, so we have to enable mysql_extension(). I just didn't understand how to do it, but it is probably done in the php.ini file. I am still going to explore my php.ini file, because I was out all the day and I didn't have enough time to see it with attention.

Thanks for your anwers. I'll be in touch soon about my latest results :lol:

Fenag

Post by Fenag » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Done some progress... :shock: :o

After some google search I read that php5 must be installed and compiled with the option --with-mysql=installation directory of MySQL

So now I removed both php4 and php5 from my Debian server. the phpBB is not recognized anymore, so if I try to load it on the browser I get a dialog box asking me wether I want or not to download index.php. And that's good - it means the PHP is completely removed.

Tomorrow I'll carefully download php5, compile it and install it myself with a tutorial following my steps, so I will add MySQL support.

See ya

Aubs010

Post by Aubs010 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi Fenag,

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully you're getting closer :)

Don't know what it's like on Linux, because with a Windows server I just enabled (un-commented out [removed the ";"] MySQL) and restarted Apache. Whether or not that was the right thing to do, I don't know, but it worked ;-)

Good luck!

Aubs

Kaitlyn

Post by Kaitlyn » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:45 am

Ya, on the Linux version you don't need to do that.

For Debain, if you use the MySQL Package mysql-server the libraries go into /usr/include & /usr/lib so they generally don't need to be specified. If your compiling it yourself --with-mysql should be sufficient on the ./configure command line. You may also wish to add --with-mysqli as well.

~K

Fenag

Post by Fenag » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:54 am

Done and working! (sorry, forgot to come here :o )

I uninstalled Apache, PHP and MySQL. After that I googled on how to compile Apache + PHP5 + MySQL with proper MySQL support. In fact I used --with-mysql option while compiling PHP5, and everything starter working.

Thanks for your answers guys, see ya

jeffreypierson

Post by jeffreypierson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm having what seems to be the same issue but on a Windows 2003 Server machine with IIS. Below are the steps that I used to install.

Basically I installed PHP5 using the windows .msi installer and all seemed to go well as it installed everything under my C:\Program Files\PHP folder. The installer included options to install some common extensions, so I chose the MySQLi one that was in the list. After the install went through I have a file called php_mysqli.dll in my PHP\EXT directory as well as the full PHP bin directory in my system path.

From what I can tell everything should be set however when going to the install page I see Unavailable next to all databases except for SQLServer 2000. I've tried everything I can think of to get this working but to no avail.

Do I need to actually install MySQL on the same server? If so that could be the problem but I think it would be strange to require MySQL to be installed on the system just to connect to a different server.

I'm running out of ideas so if anybody could offer some help I would greatly appreciate it. TIA

LiamWi

Post by LiamWi » Fri May 30, 2008 10:54 am

I have pretty much the same problem, after installing three times on separate machines. Here is the current problem:

Setup:
IIS6 on Windows Server 2003
PHP 5 (working fine)
SQL Server 2000 (working fine)
MySQL (working fine)

Problem:
When I browse to install/ on phpbb3/ I have the checks completed and everything is fine - problem is that my databases are not recognised. The only database I can go for is SQL Server 2000 with ODBC. I have no idea how to configure that or why I should have to. MySQL is not seen as accessible, despite me having set up the extensions in php.ini.

Any idea firstly why I can't select the standard SQL Server 2000 option? The only reason I installed mysql was because I have no clue why it wants the ODBC option. And it doesn't recognise that either.

If anyone can help (perhaps I need to install some extra files to have these DBs recognised?) I would be grateful. I've read pretty much everything I can find and tried just about everything, but this is a new install of everything. Last time I did this the same thing happened and in the end I seem to recall I regressed to PHP4 and it worked.

Thank you.

Liam

gbr1918

Post by gbr1918 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:41 am

Hi Liam Wi:
it sounds as though you've got php installed but not mysql. I haven't done it with Debian, but I have them running on a Mandriva box, and (AFAI can remember) I installed MYSQL first and php second. You can access mysql from the command line: someting like #>mysql -u username -ppassword (no gap!) (probably better check the manual, my memory of this is a bit hazy! :-) ). If it doesn't work you can be pretty sure it's not there!
hope that helps,

Dave

LiamWi

Post by LiamWi » Fri May 30, 2008 11:49 am

I appreciate the speedy reponse. Thank you.

MySQL is installed and running fine. I think the problem is that PHP does not recognise either database - or perhaps I have not got the ODBC files installed (clueless about these).

I installed PHP first, after IIS, and then installed mysql. SQL Server 2000 was installed before PHP.

It seems odd that these database systems are working perfectly, PHP myinfo picks them up, but then phpbb doesn't, don't you think?

If nothing else works I will simply use sql server with odbc, but I'd rather not have to - mainly because it seems entirely superfluous to a solid install.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”