[HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
User avatar
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Seattle, USA
Name: Cullen Walsh
Contact:

[HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by ckwalsh » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:32 pm

I've seen laments about this in various posts,but nowhere a good description of how to make it work. It actually is quite easy to set up.

REQUIREMENTS:
OpenSSL support compiled in php. You can check if your php installation has OpenSSL support by viewing the phpinfo page on your control panel, or creating a page with the following code and viewing it from your browser.

Code: Select all

<?php

phpinfo();

?>
Here are the settings you need to use:

Use SMTP server for e-mail: Yes
SMTP server address: tls://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP server port: 465
Authentication method for SMTP: PLAIN
SMTP username: example@gmail.com
SMTP password: Your Password
Last edited by stevemaury on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unstickied
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

Swader
Registered User
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:24 am
Location: In the Matrix !!
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by Swader » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 am

Hey mate,

I tried what you said.. but I get this..

Code: Select all

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm/index.php on line 149

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm/index.php on line 151

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm/index.php on line 152

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm
/index.php on line 153

User avatar
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Seattle, USA
Name: Cullen Walsh
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by ckwalsh » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:08 am

Hmmm... It doesn't look like that error has anything to do with changing the smtp settings.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

User avatar
karlsemple
Former Team Member
Posts: 39802
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:54 am
Location: Hereford, UK
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by karlsemple » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:22 am

Why have you posted this in the Discussion forum? Support related topics should be posted in the support forum, and guides such as this should be submitted to the knowledge base.


Moved
Image

User avatar
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Seattle, USA
Name: Cullen Walsh
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by ckwalsh » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:27 am

karlsemple wrote:Why have you posted this in the Discussion forum? Support related topics should be posted in the support forum, and guides such as this should be submitted to the knowledge base.


Moved
When this was posted, there was another thread with a howto also in the discussion forum. Since I saw it there with a couple replies, I figured the mods didn't mind this type of thing in discussion.

Guess I was wrong.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

User avatar
karlsemple
Former Team Member
Posts: 39802
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:54 am
Location: Hereford, UK
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by karlsemple » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:35 am

. As I said in my last reply though, tutorials such as this do not really belong in any forum, they should be written out correctly and in detail and submitted to our knowledge base :)
Image

User avatar
dahia
Registered User
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: Earth

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by dahia » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 am

I'm using PHP 5.2.5 and i was trying it out but i get:

Code: Select all

E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/adm/index.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>835</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection timed out)</b><br />
Something wrong? :roll:

sevsev
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by sevsev » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Mine didn't work either, but I didn't get any errors, just no mail going out
Andrew

User avatar
Jotne
Registered User
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:18 pm
Location: Norway

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by Jotne » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:15 pm

I do use Gmail and work like a sharm.
Don’t feed the Troll
Molde Cycleklubb - - http://www.moldeck.no
HP41.org - - http://forum.hp41.org

User avatar
dahia
Registered User
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: Earth

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by dahia » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 am

Jotne wrote:I do use Gmail and work like a sharm.
Could you elaborate please? Are using specific mod? or you had just entered the suggested SMTP settings above?
Listing your SMTP settings values would be highly appreciated

User avatar
Jotne
Registered User
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:18 pm
Location: Norway

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by Jotne » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 am

No mod.
But its wery important that SSL support is installed with PHP

I du use:
Windows 2000 Server
MySQL 4.1.11i
PHP 5.2.5 (version 4 do not support SSL)
phpBB 3.0.0 (gold)

ACP -> Quick access -> PHP Information
Look for this

Code: Select all

openssl
OpenSSL support  enabled  
OpenSSL Version  OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007  
Create a Gmail account and do the set this:
www-gmail.com -> Settings - > Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Enable POP for all mail
Enable IMAP (not sure if this is needed)

In phpBB
ACP -> Client communication -> E-Mail settings

User SMTP server for email: YES
SMTP server address: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP server port:465
Authentication method for SMTP:LOGIN
SMTP username:username@gmail.com (need to be the same as "Contact e-mail address:")
SMTP password:gmailpassword

It seems to be a bug with the password. I tried to use 20 character long password with brackets and it did not work. Shorter password did work, so I do not know if it's a limit on number of characters or type of characters.
Don’t feed the Troll
Molde Cycleklubb - - http://www.moldeck.no
HP41.org - - http://forum.hp41.org

User avatar
dahia
Registered User
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: Earth

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by dahia » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:11 am

Same error though openSSL on :cry:

John A
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:37 am

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by John A » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:58 pm

Jotne wrote:No mod.
But its wery important that SSL support is installed with PHP

I du use:
Windows 2000 Server
MySQL 4.1.11i
PHP 5.2.5 (version 4 do not support SSL)
phpBB 3.0.0 (gold)

ACP -> Quick access -> PHP Information
Look for this

Code: Select all

openssl
OpenSSL support  enabled  
OpenSSL Version  OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007  
Create a Gmail account and do the set this:
www-gmail.com -> Settings - > Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Enable POP for all mail
Enable IMAP (not sure if this is needed)

In phpBB
ACP -> Client communication -> E-Mail settings

User SMTP server for email: YES
SMTP server address: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP server port:465
Authentication method for SMTP:LOGIN
SMTP username:username@gmail.com (need to be the same as "Contact e-mail address:")
SMTP password:gmailpassword

It seems to be a bug with the password. I tried to use 20 character long password with brackets and it did not work. Shorter password did work, so I do not know if it's a limit on number of characters or type of characters.
Worked for me. Thanks for the advice.

pelican
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:37 am

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by pelican » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:11 pm

If I have a domain and email account with my hosting provider (GoDaddy), can I get a Google Apps account for my domain and manage my domains email through Gmail/Google Apps, rather than GoDaddy's Email Manager thing? I have a personal email account with Gmail and I find GoDaddy's email manager to be clunky, and I'd just rather stick with Gmail if I could.

Thanks,

pelican

User avatar
alin0s
Registered User
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3

Post by alin0s » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:35 am

Swader wrote:Hey mate,

I tried what you said.. but I get this..

Code: Select all

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm/index.php on line 149

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm/index.php on line 151

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm/index.php on line 152

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/includes/functions.php:2914) in /home/undergro/public_html/forummasti.org/forum/adm
/index.php on line 153
I am getting the same error, i really want to get this fixed :(

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], johnhinson and 71 guests