'max_user_connections' Error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
iftitaj

'max_user_connections' Error

Post by iftitaj »

I'm seeing this when try to visit my forum. I've auto-login enabled.

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

User XYZ already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
In place of XYZ, my database's username is showing. How can I solve this problem? :?:
iftitaj

Re: 'max_user_connections' Error

Post by iftitaj »

Sorry, missed the format to request support. Details below.

Your board's URL: http://forum.preityzinta-fanclub.net/
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.0 Gold
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Fresh
Was this an install through your host? No
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: Yesterday
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

Do you have any other application installed in that db?

It surprises me that a clean forum could already reach a max_user_connections limit. Ask your host what could cause it. How many users could have been accessing the site at that time? The solution is to raise the value for the setting mentioned in the error.
iftitaj

Post by iftitaj »

What the mistake I did was to add the same database-user to both phpBB forum & Coppermine Photo Gallery. My traffic in last 10 days was over 150,000 on both forum & gallery.
Is there a way to add different database-user to forum after installation to make it independent of gallery traffic?
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

Yes, just change the settings in config.php(located in the forum root), they are quite self-explanatory.
iftitaj

Post by iftitaj »

Thanx it works. :D
hickman

Post by hickman »

I'm apologizing right now because I'm brand new to how phpbb forums work and I'm getting this error as well.
This was mentioned above: "How many users could have been accessing the site at that time? The solution is to raise the value for the setting mentioned in the error."
Where do I go to fix this? I think my forum is set to a low number and I just opened this forum last night and have already received this message. Can I fix this in my adminstration control panel on my forum? If so, where do I go? Or do I have to log into my sql database control panel on my actual website/hosting company? If I have to go that route, where exactly do I go and what do I do?
Could you please talk to me like I'm a 2 year old and tell me where to go to fix this? I'm not computer literate AT ALL, so I apologize again!
Thank you so much!
hickman

Post by hickman »

Sorry...I forgot to do this.
Your board's URL: deadplayground.com/artists
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.0 (I think that's it, I know it's 3 something)
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? fresh
Was this an install through your host? I think so...I have a sql database through them.
MODs you have installed: n/a
When the problem started: this morning when I asked a friend to log in an play around on it. I am registered, another friend, my 'test' profile, and then this new friend. 4 members total. She logged in, got a cgi error that I haven't addressed yet, replied to a post I had made earlier, and then got the error:
"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
User 'abc' already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."

Anywhere she tried to go she got that error, as well as when she tried to upload an avatar. 'abc' is a substitute for my actual sql database name.
hickman

Post by hickman »

Stupid followup question:
[ mysql4 ]
Does that mean I can only have 4 members logged in and viewing my forum at the same time?
Told you I'm an annoying newbie to this! :)
hickman

Post by hickman »

*bump*
I'll only bump this once and if no one replies, that's fine! Don't want to be an annoying 'bumper'.
:)
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

No, it doesn't mean you can have only 4 simultaneous users :)

It would be weird to have this error with only 4 users online, either the limits are superstrict or like in the issue above your post, there is another application accessing the database with the same username. Are there any other data in the database phpBB3 uses?

As for raising of the limit, your host can do that, try contacting them.
hickman

Post by hickman »

I'll contact them...thank you!!!
SteeLx

Post by SteeLx »

max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

I'm also getting the same problem..

I checked thru admin cPanel & found that my forum was using too many users ..

but how can i solve this problem ?

please PM me or post here a HELP.. pls :(
iftitaj

Post by iftitaj »

When I faced this problem, its my webhost's end. My database-user was stuck in MySQL server. When they restarted MySQL server, my forum starts working again --- now I'm getting more users per day but never faced that problem again. So I'm guessing it is not of phpBB's issue & that you should contact your webhost & may demand to restart their MySQL server or whatever database you use. Hopefully it will solve your problem.
pacop2

Post by pacop2 »

iftitaj wrote:So I'm guessing it is not of phpBB's issue
I had the same problem five days ago (my administrator restart the sql service and run again), and now in this moment it happen another time:

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Too many connections [1040]

With phpbb2 and more users I never had this kind of problem :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any help?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”