E-mail domain ban and performance hit

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
The Dark One

E-mail domain ban and performance hit

Post by The Dark One »

Hi everyone

I have been looking at ways to reduce / block spammers and have found lists of e-mail domains which could be blocked in phpBB2. These lists however seem to be getting enormous, one I have found contained 1800 domains including AOL :roll:

My question is this, what sort of performance hit does my forum registration suffer as these lists get bigger. Are legitimate people trying to register having a noticeable wait while the e-mail domain is checked against the list?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: E-mail domain ban and performance hit

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

The Dark One wrote:Hi everyone

I have been looking at ways to reduce / block spammers and have found lists of e-mail domains which could be blocked in phpBB2. These lists however seem to be getting enormous, one I have found contained 1800 domains including AOL :roll:

My question is this, what sort of performance hit does my forum registration suffer as these lists get bigger. Are legitimate people trying to register having a noticeable wait while the e-mail domain is checked against the list?
you don't need to do any of that.

install the RAC MOD and it will stop them all dead in their tracks.

see the sticky at the top of the support forum for the link.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

The Dark One wrote:
Since you asked about what the performance hit is....

Those lists are only checked once per registration and once per session start (that is, after a login), so the performance hit is in ms, can't be detected by a human. Overall, computers can scan lists pretty fast. ;)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
The Dark One

Post by The Dark One »

Thanks for the rapid reply guys

The thread in the support forum is great. I already have the RAC but there are one or 2 other things in there that look good and would compliment the RAC mod.

First step however is to upgrade from 2.0.22.

Thanks
Dark One

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”